EFI nitrous kit onto a carby?

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
The Amateur

EFI nitrous kit onto a carby?

Post by The Amateur »

Hey there guys

Just throwing this out there, if its obviously stupid let me know.

I have a Nx nitrous system in my vr v6, but as it is my daily and attracts enough police attention as it is I'm considering removing the system and putting it into my sigma.

The kit mixes the fuel and nitrous in a fogger nozzle, atleast I think thats what its called, its a small Y fitting that threads into the intake pipe just before the TB.

I was wondering if I should have a new nozzle made up and have it thread straight into the intake manifold underneath the carby?

Rewiring the WOT switch into a switch in the cabin wouldn't be to hard.

I'm sure people out there have run nitrous before on sigmas, so what would the result of a 50hp shot be on a bone stock 2.6l? disaster?

Can anyone see any other issues with doing this?
DragonCypher

Re: EFI nitrous kit onto a carby?

Post by DragonCypher »

I cant help with experience, but I know the theories behind it.. the sole purpose of nitrous is to increase oxygen in the airfuel mixture

by itself would not increase power.. mixed with an increase in fuel flow to accomodate the oxygen - is where the power is

Being carby it probably wouldn't measure oxygen levels, and rather general air flow.. so maybe if you had 2 sets of injectors.. the fogger nozzles, and high pressure fuel injectors too (set accurately) it could work

Interesting to hear what lethal says about it.. Mr whore nitrous kit :P
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

The Amateur

Post by The Amateur »

The nozzle mixes the two, fuel and nitrous, which is then added to the intake charge. When the wide open throttle switch is activated the solenoids open and fuel and nitrous meet each other at the nozzle.
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

well then.. in that case i see no reason why it wouldnt work

still like to hear lethal's opinion though, having so much experience with nos
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

DragonCypher wrote:still like to hear lethal's opinion though, having so much experience with nos
im here :lol:

1: 50 shot should be fine - i ran a 42hp shot and 10psi boost thru a std 2.6 with no worries.

2: My microswitch (WOT switch) is in cabin, under the accel pedal - so thats no drama.

3: I would look at getting a spacer plate made to go between the carb and the manifold, and run the fogger nozzle there (before the manifold) as there isnt much room in the base of the manifold, and you might get some fuel/nos pool in the base of the manifold, a spacer obviously will give more room....

4: Get a purge kit - if your serious about ya nos, not just for the wank factor

5: Ring VPW and ask to speak to Barney (he is their nos god) and ask what jets you will need for ya 50hp shot (remember, 50hp for a 6cyl is not 50hp for a 4cyl ;)

6: Its not a stupid idea at all :lol:

DragonCypher wrote:by itself would not increase power.. mixed with an increase in fuel flow to accomodate the oxygen - is where the power is
i disagree there.
i have shot straight nos (NOT RECOMMENDED) thru a std sigma carb. I had the nozzle set up directly above the 2nd throat, and it did work as it should (i was just testing a few different set up styles out) but the main issue with shooting straight nos, its the risk of a major lean out..... = BANG :o :o :o
Image Image
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

this is verrryy interesting.. i never even thought about nos + carb thought it had to be efi :?
haha
what does a refil of nos cost and where can u get it?

im intrueged and interested :roll:
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Lethal G wrote:3: I would look at getting a spacer plate made to go between the carb and the manifold, and run the fogger nozzle there (before the manifold) as there isnt much room in the base of the manifold, and you might get some fuel/nos pool in the base of the manifold, a spacer obviously will give more room...
Also, if mounted under the carby coming up through the manifold... you may find your self injecting nos & fuel into the cooling system ;)

Hmm, not a bad idea using the secondary there lethal, technically you could still do it, replace the main jet for the secondary so it runs richer, & have the nos triggered via the secondary being opened rather than full throttle :roll:

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
The Amateur

Post by The Amateur »

Looks like I'll be rigging this up after my sigma has a RWC again :D

I get my nitrous refilled at autobarn its something like 12$/pound I think. Last refill it cost me about 90$ because the bottle wasn't totally empty, I've got the a 10lb bottle.

Also nice call 81GL, I hadn't thought of that one.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

shuggy wrote:this is verrryy interesting.. i never even thought about nos + carb thought it had to be efi :?
haha
what does a refil of nos cost and where can u get it?

im intrueged and interested :roll:

Good old Chemical intercooling

A DE size bottle is $130
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

amgis_obrut wrote:Good old Chemical intercooling

yep :mrgreen:

i ran the fogger nozzle on my old set up, in the carb to turbo spacer

i get my nos for free.... ah the joys of sponsorship :lol: