Ok, has ANYONE done a GJ SE auto to manual???

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
H8DAG8

Ok, has ANYONE done a GJ SE auto to manual???

Post by H8DAG8 »

I'm 99% sure I've got a GE SE.. is that correct? Or is it a GL?
It's a 2L SOHC Carby RWD, came 3spd auto, I've put a KW132 5spd manual in it. It's got an SE badge on the side, but is it a GE? How do I finally figure it out?

(Sorry for crappy pics but couldn't upload any new ones so these will have to do ;) hope they are good enough for you to tell!)

Rear/Side

Front

Side/Rear

Side/Front

If ANYONE has done this auto->manual conversion PLEASE tell me how you got the speedo to work again!? I've got the manual speedo cable and all, but the speedo still won't bloody work, it's a digital speedo.

PLEASE help.

Thanks
Last edited by H8DAG8 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billsy

Re: Ok, has ANYONE done a GL/GE SE auto to manual???

Post by Billsy »

ive done this and it worked fine for me, i just changed the cable.
although the speedo read slower than actual speed as the auto diff ratio is different.
Insert witty one liner here -->
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

So you just used the manual cable? What was the speedo drive gear mating marks on the gearbox on yours?
Could you find out for me? As mine may be set wrong?

And, did yours have the digital dash?
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Ok, got it working, will post up how I figured it out incase anyone else in future needs to know and finds this.

Yes you do definitely need the manual speedo cable, if people tell you the auto one will work THEY ARE WRONG. The cables are different.
After thinking how I could try each setting trial and error on the speedo gear drive without putting it all back together and driving it, i realised i could do the following instead.

Jack the front of the car up so you can get the speedo cable unscrewed, take the speedo gear drive bracket off, drain gearbox oil, take the speedo gear drive out, spin the plastic gear at the back of it and make sure it spins the key/slot in the front where the cable mates into it. If it's all working, then,

Jack the back of the car up now so both wheels are off the ground, release handbrake, put in neutral. Put the speedo gear drive in at any setting you want to start with, no need to bolt bracket on, just put the gear drive firmly in, then simply spin the driveshaft by hand and watch to see if the end of the speedo gear drive spins (where the speedo cable mates into it), if it doesn't spin, just spin the speedo gear drive around to the next setting, spin the driveshaft, watch to see if speedo gear drive spins or not, and keep going through all 4 settings until you find the one that works.

Once you've found the one that makes it spin, put it all back together, fill 'er up with gearbox oil, and away you go.

Worked fine for me, now it's just trying to figure how far "out" the speedo is due to the auto diff :banh: :google: :thumpsup:
So if anyone knows how far out it is or if there is a way to correct it, let me know pls! :D
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

H8DAG8 wrote:I'm 99% sure I've got a GE SE.. is that correct? Or is it a GL?
It's a 2L SOHC Carby RWD, came 3spd auto, I've put a KW132 5spd manual in it. It's got an SE badge on the side, but is it a GE? How do I finally figure it out?
It looks more like a GJ than a GE.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

GJ ok sweet mate. But you're not certain?
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

GJ.. But has GK tail lights

:thumpsup:
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
woops

Post by woops »

Also according to the workshop manuals the 2.6L GK and GN sigma's had a 3.42:1 and the 1.6L and the 2L had a 3.7:1 diff ratio. I thinki that the GH and GJ had a difference between the Manual and Auto diff's but i'm not sure what they had in them. The GE sigma's had a 3.42 for the auto transmissions and the 3.89 for the manual transmissions.

That year model is you car. If it's a 81-84 it would be a GJ most definately.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

woops wrote:Also according to the workshop manuals the 2.6L GK and GN sigma's had a 3.42:1 and the 1.6L and the 2L had a 3.7:1 diff ratio. I thinki that the GH and GJ had a difference between the Manual and Auto diff's but i'm not sure what they had in them. The GE sigma's had a 3.42 for the auto transmissions and the 3.89 for the manual transmissions.

That year model is you car. If it's a 81-84 it would be a GJ most definately.
Ok, mines a 1984. So you reckon it's a GJ too? Definitely?
So you don't recall or know the ratios in my year GJ for auto and man.? Guess I'll just have to get someone to drive beside me and yell out what there's reads compared to mine :stupid:

TVM006 wrote:GJ.. But has GK tail lights

:thumpsup:
Ok sweet dude cheers, GK tail lights? What do the standy GJ ones look like? I'm pretty sure the ones in there came with it though! They were chrome but it all peeled off so i sprayed it flat black instead.. (H)
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

heres a link to a pic of GJ rear lights

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... 79&bih=681

hehe flat blacks the way to go (H)

PS love the look of your Sigma, also front grille looks amazing!
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Oh ok didn't realise those were the standard tail lights!
What about this car? Quite a few I've seen on TradeMe all have tail lights like mine

Yea front grill looks ok, the stuff is peeling off everywhere except the outter bit that's chrome, don't they all look like that!? :P
TVM006

Re: Ok, has ANYONE done a GJ SE auto to manual???

Post by TVM006 »

Out of interest, how much are they asking for them?
I think these sigmas in NZ were probably brought out like that :wut:
Id love to see a close up of your front grille, colour of your sig is nice too!
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

Just had a look the.. $6000
Also i think whoever you bought it off might of changed the lights.. cos i saw some other GJ model Sigmas on there with the factory looking ones
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Ohh hmm maybe the SE's came with tail lights like mine?
Or mine isn't a GJ? Shoot I don't bloody know with these sigma's, too hard to tell what model they are haha.

Grill is just normal grill man, isn't too flash up close, it's peeling all the middle bits, just the outter chrome is real shiney.
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

Your car is definitly not a GE or GH model, as the body is completely different so being a 84 it's most likely a GJ. You should have a compliance plate on the firewall or in engine bay somewhere that will have model written on it, look for the little shiny plate with year, vin ect on it and you'll know for certain.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Ok so probably a GJ then. Yea looked for a plate in the engine bay but doesn't have one, the plate with chassis # is on drivers side by strut tower but on the surface where gaurds bolt onto the car, and doesn't have vin # or anything.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

hey mate, to me it actually looks like a gk body, I only say this because I had a gj and the rear garnish looks different if you look between the bottom of the garnish to the top of bumper you see the amount of space is different. yours looks as if its been cut to fit in there

GJ back with GK lights (H)

yours actually has a lip that goes across the middle level with the bottom of your lights like a GK, kinda looks like a GJ garnish has been cut to fit in there.

GK back

can you see what im on about?

M.B :thumpsup: arnt they called galants in NZ?
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Hey mate

Yea I do sorta see what you mean, ahhh sh*t I'm so confused as to what it is now, so you think it's a GJ too?
And that second pic you put up, LOVE the look of that! Never seen a mitsi rear like that, looks sweet how the plastic continues the look of the tail light.

Called galants in NZ? Nope def a sigma.
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

is there no id plate in eng bay??
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

gj se ?? hmm se and gsr have 2.6 from factory i think?? i have a gjse.... looks like yours has gk lights they fit! and no number plate garnish it looks?
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

could of been re motored too? gee who knows! lots fiddle with theses cars! :) nice and low!! looks coooool! :D :D
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

GLANT wrote:could of been re motored too? gee who knows! lots fiddle with theses cars! :) nice and low!! looks coooool! :D :D
haha cheers
caboonatlarge

Post by caboonatlarge »

Just a note (if not already stated), over here in nz we have jap imports, so they are different than the ozzy cars.things like diff ratios, gearboxes and engines are normally alot different.eg, ozzy never got sohc 4g63 in there sigmas just lime how we never got 4g52 powered sigmas.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

mate you have asked across a few threads what model sigma you have.... lift the bonnet and look at the id plate please!! :banh:
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

astronturbo77 wrote:mate you have asked across a few threads what model sigma you have.... lift the bonnet and look at the id plate please!! :banh:
You really think I wouldn't have done that first?
Obviously there's no plate there with that on it. Don't know why, but there's only 1 plate on mine and it's by the strut tower/top of gaurd on drivers side and all its got is chasis num, engine num, and paint trim. Nothing else. At all. Not even a VIN. Hence the enormous confusion as to what model exactly I have due to different people giving me different answers. I'm 90% sure now that it's a GJ.
tonycrouch

Post by tonycrouch »

Guess I'll just have to get someone to drive beside me and yell out what there's reads compared to mine :stupid:
Why not borrow someone's GPS and put it on its "Speed setting", they're not 100% accurate, but will give you an idea of how close you are either way.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

tonycrouch wrote:
Guess I'll just have to get someone to drive beside me and yell out what there's reads compared to mine :stupid:
Why not borrow someone's GPS and put it on its "Speed setting", they're not 100% accurate, but will give you an idea of how close you are either way.
Good idea hadn't thought of that, heck even my phone has that speed rating on the GPS. BUT, I was after a pretty dead on comparison so might have to still do the old way of driving side-by-side on the motorway late at night or early morning or an empty road and just compare speeds at 50 and 100.

Cheers for the idea anyway! Will work for now!
tonycrouch

Post by tonycrouch »

No probs, for one thing you'd know if it was reading faster than your actual speed.

My falcon ute reads 5km/h fast when I'm doing 100km/h. I didn't even twig until I went for a drive on the Newell and had semi's piling up behind me ... grabbed the ol' GPS and confirmed it for me.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Haha really.
Sweet as thanks again mate.
trainzkid88

Post by trainzkid88 »

your model i.e. gj, gk, gn etc should be part of your vin (body) number WHICH IS STAMPED INTO THE FIREWALL for instance MMA GN 1243 678 THIS IS NOT AN PROPER NUMBER BUT IT SHOULD BE IN THE SAME SORT OF FORMAT AS THAT WILL TELL YOU WHAT MODEL IT IS ALSO IT SHOULD BE ON THE COMPLIANCE PLATE AND BUILD PLATE AS THESE ARE Standard places and items on all Australian cars for the last 40 years at least. the se bit is the trim level for instance mine is 86 gn gl sedan which means it has relatively basic features standard gauges no power steer or power windows.
this car is all motor real motors don't need forced induction or nitrous and there's no substitute for cubes.