GJ 2.6 into GK 2.0

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
The Amateur

GJ 2.6 into GK 2.0

Post by The Amateur »

Hey guys

I am putting a 2.6L motor from a GJ sigma into my GK which was originally a 2L.

What I'd like to know is if the ignition modules are different? or any of the other electrics? or is it a straight bolt over?

Thanks guys
Billsy

Re: GJ 2.6 into GK 2.0

Post by Billsy »

everything is compatible, just make sure that the 2.6b is a narrow block from an auto or it wont bolt on to the 2L gearbox
Insert witty one liner here -->
The Amateur

Post by The Amateur »

Thanks Billsy, thats a relief. The 2.6 is a wide block but I'm using the gearbox / tailshaft from the donor car also.
panda

Post by panda »

I believe the GJ & GK ignition modules that are mounted in behind the LH headhight are all the same. If not, I'm sure someone will correct me. :D The GN with the Astron II motor had a different dizzy with a built in electronic igntion.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

i recently did the opposite to what your doing, the distributors are different, if you use the dizzy off the GK you'll have no worries , otherwise i found it to be a strait swap, gk has the electronic ignition stuff built into the dizzy, the GJ unless it was changed has its electronic ignition stuff next to the battery ( looks like a box with a round transistor in the middle ) so just use the dizzy from your original engine and you'll have no worries, just dont put it one tooth out like i did otherwise your neighbor will ask why they saw a flame from over the fence :lol:
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The GN was the first model with the control unit on the dizzy.

Someone must have done an upgrade on your GK.
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Just use the dizzy on the current motor in the new one. Saves any potential dramas. Modules are all the same and if its the bosch unit with the external module they basically never fail. jap units are shithouse an to be avoided(found on scorpions) and the bosch ones with inbuilt modules are Ok but do stuff up time to time.