What way do I go?? I'm lost

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
84gksigmawa

What way do I go?? I'm lost

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Hey all was curious as to has anyone done a build putting a v8 in a sigma?? Curious if it's a better option than naturally aspirating a 2.6 or turboing cos you can't beat cubic inches lol and does anyone know the rules for doing such a build in wa and keeping it as a daily drive? Sorry for all the questions I just know I love my sigma and I want it to be quick and immaculate on my budget lol just not sure what way to go thanks for any advice anyone has
A112H

Re: What way do I go?? I'm lost

Post by A112H »

You really are lost, old school technology is never a better option. Would you rather drive a Model A Ford or a BA Ford on a daily basis?? Push rod V8's are a poor mans power, technically gutless, heavy and out of date, but it seams to work for GMH , lol
Please excuse my rant, I am an OHC fan and most V8 heads are not, lol
For much less f'ing about grab a DOHC from a VR4 Galant or early EVO, the initial outlay will seem a lot but over all will be a far better option.
Most people that are abusing their Mitsubishi's with V8's are using such old stuff, the DOHC 4G63 is still current and there are thousands of them laying around.

IMHO :thumpsup:
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

An opinion is an opinion lol I prefer v8 more but turbos amaze me and baffle me lol at least building and installing a v8 I could understand hahaha I want to do the build myself so I can yea I did it myself and it will mean more to
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sell the Jap car and buy a VB Commonwhore
Japanese technology has always been about synergy, US V8 heads have always been about doing what everyone else has done.
A112H

Post by A112H »

If you insist on commiting this crime, you wont be the first, check out how Mick did it, and did it pretty well
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=244
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

Old school tech not good? About all the cars on this site over 20 years old! Least u can work on old school, u ever try working on a new car? Windscreen in me mates car taken em 5 hrs to replace cause they gotta pull whole dash out to do it! Personally I hate new tech, I like something I can rebuild without having to spend a grand on electrical c%^ and I dont need a laptop to tune lol.(now my rant over lol), Go the V8!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

84gksigmawa wrote:I want it to be quick and immaculate on my budget lol
Quick and budget don't generally go together in the one sentence.
Galant_GT0 wrote:For much less f'ing about grab a DOHC from a VR4 Galant or early EVO, the initial outlay will seem a lot but over all will be a far better option.
4G63's are a great motor with lots of performance parts available. Do you need to go turbo?

For more info on what can be done staying with a four pot, read this Bolt in RWD Engine Upgrades(woops has done a great job putting this info together.

You are probably better off staying with what you know?

However...

Have you considered a Commodore V6 conversion? If you want to stick to a budget and you want to go quick, this may be your ticket?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
brendon

Post by brendon »

Galant_GT0 wrote:You really are lost, old school technology is never a better option. Would you rather drive a Model A Ford or a BA Ford on a daily basis?? Push rod V8's are a poor mans power, technically gutless, heavy and out of date, but it seams to work for GMH , lol
For much less f'ing about grab a DOHC from a VR4 Galant or early EVO, the initial outlay will seem a lot but over all will be a far better option.
Most people that are abusing their Mitsubishi's with V8's are using such old stuff, the DOHC 4G63 is still current and there are thousands of them laying around.

He said v8 not old push rod dinosaur, there are v8 that are newer technology that would work..ie Lexus
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

If you want to go V8, then I'd like at a Toyota 1UZ-FE.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UZ_engine#1UZ-FE

Or if you want to be super adventurous, try the 1GZ-FE :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GZ_engine#1GZ-FE

Someone is putting one of them into a Celica Supra.
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showt ... e-V12-swap

You could also use something like this on a 1UZ-FE:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/M90-Supercharger ... ccessories
woops

Post by woops »

84gksigmawa wrote:An opinion is an opinion lol I prefer v8 more but turbos amaze me and baffle me lol at least building and installing a v8 I could understand hahaha I want to do the build myself so I can yea I did it myself and it will mean more to

I really don't understand what baffles people so much with turbo's. They are a much simpler then how an engine actually works. The complexities of a standard engine with cams and timing advance has a lot more complexity then a simple vane pump using exhaust gasses to turn a rod which pumps more air into an engine.

I personally think a high tech small boosted engine offers many more advantages then a big V8. The only purpose of a V8 is to push the car in a straight line and that's about it. Shoving one into a sigma reduces handling and braking significantly making the car a quarter mile warrior. Where do most people want to be able to drive their car at speed? Me personally I prefer the thrill of driving through the twisties over being a traffic tight hero.

A turbo 4 cylinder gives the advantages of power when you want it and fuel efficiency when you need it. And also when you factor in all of the fabrication costs and the rebuild costs of a V8 you are much better off with a 4 cylinder with half the parts required to do the same job.

Honestly, just do a bit of research and take a look at the comparison of cost vs benefit of a V8 to a 4 cylinder turbo. V8 don't really make that much power when you consider how big they really are. A standard 5L V8 from the 80's or 90's makes about the same power as a mild turbo 2L setup. And you would find the costs are pretty comparable and the turbo is much easier to get to handle, brake and also engineer as a lot of the parts are just bolt in components designed by the factory.

Unless you are a fabricator by trade then i'd suggest going for a 2.6L 4g54 astron turbo or a 2L 4g63 DOHC turbo for the power upgrade you seem to be wanting. It's a much more painless option as a lot of the research and information has already been worked out and it's easy enough to install everything. Even taking into account the cost of tuning you'd probably still be ahead.

If you want to do a basic budget of the multiple comparisons and I'm sure people will be able to help you with info on the real costs of everything to help you make an informed decision.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

nothing wrong with an old push rod V8 mine has a 302 cleveland it makes 240hp in std form and the car has cost me less than 3k to build including buying the car, to get 300-340hp is just a matter of cam intake carb and mild port work that can be done at home

OEM and aftermarket parts can be bought anywhere cheaply and they will simply outlast any 4gxx

as for being the poor mans option try building an astron engine with a reliable 240hp and see how thin your wallet gets even if you turbo your std engine it will still require an engineers report unless its a GH

A std sigma turbo exhaust manifold will cost more than a good running cleveland

A new T3/4 Garrett turbo is about the same price as a basic diff conversion

Rebuild an Astron to suit turbo would cost more than a hopper stoppers big front brake conversion

Good quality wastegate = a good c4 trans

if you go EFI inter cooler boost controller etc etc well theres an LS1 conversion

you can turbo the std engine and still have a crap diff piss weak brakes and a gearbox that will break if you look at it the wrong way and get maybe 280hp

hotting up a 4 banger is like cutting the lawn with embroidery scissors

I have a factory turbo sigma with a bigger exhaust mild ported head and 13psi and i can tell you its an utter dog compared to my V8 gh

V8 FTMFW or just anything other than an astron
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

hey thanks for all the top advice! after reading it all and them still not being able to get my hands on a 2.6 astron i have decided to go the commodore v6 option its easy to get parts for them and after seeing a beautiful gj at the hot rod show with one and registered i think its my best shot! hate to be a pain but any advice before i throw my money at a motor an gearbox? im thinking a vr motor and a t5 manual or will it not fit? it may be to wide underneath i think? i will look for some threads but anyone with advice would be great thanks
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

^^^LIKE^^^
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

84gksigmawa wrote:hey thanks for all the top advice! after reading it all and them still not being able to get my hands on a 2.6 astron i have decided to go the commodore v6 option its easy to get parts for them and after seeing a beautiful gj at the hot rod show with one and registered i think its my best shot! hate to be a pain but any advice before i throw my money at a motor an gearbox? im thinking a vr motor and a t5 manual or will it not fit? it may be to wide underneath i think? i will look for some threads but anyone with advice would be great thanks
The T5 will fit fine the with some mild massaging
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

wow they really know how to rip someone off

better to buy it off the people who make the kit

http://www.v6conversions.com.au/SIGMA%20INFORMATION.htm
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

amgis_obrut wrote:wow they really know how to rip someone off

hmm i havnt looked at the price difference closely but your saving is around $400??really not that cheap though..considering,not that its the same or anything.i paid $1600 for a full kit to fit my LS3 into my VNSS?? delivered,dunno!
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
A112H

Post by A112H »

amgis_obrut wrote:wow they really know how to rip someone off

Cheers Mick, thats the kits I was looking for but couldn't find it. They also do a kit for my Raider/B2600 that I was thinking of converting.

ISKA8, the difference is about $1500 and if it is the same kit then that is a scam.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

regardless if the savings are $100 or $1000 it still a saving and money that can be used on other parts

Its like buying performance stuff of autobahn when you can just get it direct off rocket for nearly half the cost

the description in both adds is the same
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

amgis_obrut wrote:regardless if the savings are $100 or $1000 it still a saving and money that can be used on other parts

Its like buying performance stuff of autobahn when you can just get it direct off rocket for nearly half the cost

the description in both adds is the same
TRUE DAT MATE!!!
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

sorry i haven't been on to comment been way to caught up lol you guys are right that is a saving lol i an saving towards the conversion kit now shouldn't be long lol :) one thing i was curious about... no one has spoken about tail shafts im taking a guess i will have to get the commodore one re made or can some one tell me im wrong :) Haha thanks
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

getting one made would be the easiest option but im sure there would be something out their from say a torana that would be the correct length

All holden slip yokes from the trimatic, powerglide and TH700 are the same spline
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

Galant_GT0 wrote:You really are lost, old school technology is never a better option. Would you rather drive a Model A Ford or a BA Ford on a daily basis?? Push rod V8's are a poor mans power, technically gutless, heavy and out of date, but it seams to work for GMH , lol

well excuse me but im offended by that statement and am holding myself back just a TAD

BUILDING A FAST MITSUBISHI ENGINE IS LIKE PUSHING SHIT UP HILL WITH A POINTED STICK.

I agree with amigs obrut, heaps cheaper to build a v8 sigma, more grnut and reliability.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nissan-Skyline-R ... 2eafd92c0e

Cheap good power, nice gearbox, easy to get parts, shitloads of cheap bolt on upgrades.

Turboing a astron has two problems...paying for all the bolt on stuff and being left with a gearbox that was designed for less than half the hp or a half descent turbo 2.6....

But its probably the easiest way to go fast.

Dont need a v8 to go fast!!!
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

karl_2ltgc wrote:Dont need a v8 to go fast!!!
Too true,

BUT

are you after "off the mark" or "terminal velocity"

because

there is no replacement for DISPLACEMENT.

That's why the 2.8L Astron is on the back burner, but NOT forgotten.

I just wish that the local council would pull their finger out and approve my shed so I can finish making some of the things I've been designing.

Cheers.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

karl_2ltgc wrote:Dont need a v8 to go fast!!!
but it certainly helps
webby

Post by webby »

It's kind of cheating though.........big fuck off sized engine + small car will ALWAYS equal lots of fasts
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
genius

Post by genius »

Seriously mate...that has head f**K written all over it. Sorry but i been down that road and would never do it again.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

genius wrote:Seriously mate...that has head f**K written all over it. Sorry but i been down that road and would never do it again.
what has head F*^%&^$$%^K written all over it ???