Direct fuel injection

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
cass

Direct fuel injection

Post by cass »

Hi,
Just wondering if any series of sigmas were direct fuel injected,
i am asking a i hoping to turbo my sigma in the future and i was mentioned that efi would work better a carby?
Any comments on whether the carby is suitable or not, or the efi on a sigma happened?
Skidmark

Re: Direct fuel injection

Post by Skidmark »

Hay there matey, dont think any sigs came standard in aus with efi but an efi conversion from a magna is somethingthat can happen. As for the other stuff make a coffee and get comfy and have a good read through all the relevent sections ,Confuscous once said "the answers you seek lay amoungst the posts". :thumpsup:
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Are you talking about DFI or EFI?
They are different technologies.

EFI squirts fuel into the runners BEFORE the valves, either Throttle Body Injection (common injectors for all cylinders) or Multi Point Injection(an injector or injectors for each cylinder) .

DFI injects the fuel DIRECTLY into the cylinder (like diesels).

DFI is an emerging technology for petrol engines.

Cheers.
cass

Post by cass »

i would say it would hav to be EFI,
how diffucult would it b to get a inlet from a 4cyl magna, onto a 4cyl carby sigma?
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

easy as. a lot of members have done this on here including me a few times. depends on how much work you can do yourself and what ECU you will run, you can prob get away with it for $700 to $1000 on the cheap. .
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
cass

Post by cass »

so would a efi system from a early magna work?
either series 1 or 2, how hard would it be to install the ecu b?
also, will i hav to take the engine out to do this mod?
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Dont need to take out engine for this mod.
TN/TP magna had injection setup that sat lower and closer to the motor with shorter pipes from throttle body to cylinders.
TR/TS magna had injection setup that sat higher and further away from motor and the pipes from throttle body to cylinder were longer, this helped with increased torque. If your putting it on a sigma either will be fine, lancer/Galant however TN/TP is better if you dont want to have to cut and bend your engine bay to make it fit (like i had to).

The manifolds bolt straight on to the heads, however you need to modify the thermostat housing and move it to the front of the manifold as well as chop the throttle body off and move it to the front of the plenum. Because Magna's are East West engines, the throttle body and thermostat housing point to the rear of the engine, this proves problematic when changing it to north south.

A lot of people have done this (including myself, however i cheated and bought one already modified) and there is pleanty of documentation on this site, just search for it :D

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
cass

Post by cass »

Thanks for all the replies,
final question, any ideas of the performance and ecomony changes,
i read that torque may increse, just wanted to know how much performance would be gained, and the ecomony it would gain?
i am assuming the performance and eco will very much depend on the ecu?
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

cass wrote:i am assuming the performance and eco will very much depend on the ecu?
Has more to do with the condition of the engine and your right foot..
BUT
there is about a 15% power increase between the standard carby and EFI engines, according to wiki anyway.

Cheers.
cass

Post by cass »

How diffucult would it be to setup the ecu, that goes with eci, do u even need ecu?
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

EFI needs ECU, thats what makes the injectors inject fuel amongnst other things.

Use the standard wiring loom and standard ECU, they work fine. In the engine section I put up a tutorial about how to do this (well at least how it was done on my car) with the different wires and what goes where.

You only need half the loom (just cut off the half that doesnt go to the engine, half the loom goes to the magna dash which you wont have anyway).
Components ECU will have to hook up to are:
4 injectors
dizzy
coil
airflow meter
O2 sensor (in exhaust)
power
earth

Unfortunatly i cant give you too much information as mine came already wired up (sort of, i had to transfer it between cars but most of the hard work was done).

Cheers Matt
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
cass

Post by cass »

Ok, thats really helpful, will i need to put in a electronic fuel pump or will the standard one work?
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

You will need an electronic one I think.
A setup that I run dna would recommend is have a surge tank (or swirl pot what ever u want to call it) and run it this way
main tank --> prime pump (lift pump) --> surge tank --> high pressure pump (bosch 044 is good) --> fuel rail/intake --> return line to surge tank --> surge tank to original fuel return line (into main tank).

That way your surge tank will always have enough fuel to feed it because any excess fuel not used in teh fuel rail is going straight back to the surge tank and then only back to the main tank when surge tank is full.
Also get a surge tank that is more upright than long. A common mistake I see when looking for them is people having long ones (espcially under car) and when you corner all the fuel goes to one side and may starve ur main pump.
Tall ones prevent this (i think mine is about 80mmx80mm and about 200mm tall. Ill get a photo of my setup and try put it here tomorrow.

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
rob020

Post by rob020 »

just wanna add you need an astron 2 head if you wanna bolt the efi manifold straight on, which would lower the compression ratio dramatically unless you changed to magna flat-top pistons at the same time... or you could make an adaptor plate or modify the manifold to fit astron 1, but the ports are smaller (37 vs 42mm i think?)

also you can get away without moving the thermostat by connecting part of a top hose with part of a bottom hose and a suitable length of vacuum cleaner pipe... which i think would be better in terms of water flowing the way it was engineered to
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

with the water flowing the way it was engineered too.....im going to have to disagree.
In the Magna engines when it is orientated east west the motor is level, however with north south there is a slight tilt down (front of engine sits higher) and thus can create an air bubble in the water system, how many north south engines do you see with a water port at the back???

Or with the head you could just get 1mm taken off it to raise compression to i think 9:1.....but yea flat top pistons of some sort would be much better.

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
rob020

Post by rob020 »

never thought of that,

i was thinking more about the size of the water ports in the head corresponding to the path the coolant is supposed to take
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out