Hopper stoppers brake upgrade

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
sig2L

Hopper stoppers brake upgrade

Post by sig2L »

Hey guys just wondering has any one used the hopper stoppers brake upgrade on their sigma. Spoke to the guys, need to run minimum 15" rim cause it's a BA falcon rotor and pbr twin piston calipers. Comes with everything you need to bolt it onto standard sigma struts, $1600 with upgraded one inch bore master cylinder. Sounds pretty good... Any one got any experience with them or know someone good in sydney to do a good brake upgrade? Running 4g63 DOHC forged internals and T04Z....
Cheers Alex
Cottees
Admin

Re: Hopper stoppers brake upgrade

Post by Cottees »

I'd also be interested in more info etc. about this upgrade, and whether it is better/cheaper than a Starion strut upgrade. Do you know if the $1600 includes ALL the parts, like rotors, callipers, etc.? One problem I can see is that the BA Falcon is 5 stud, so you'd also have to do a 5 stud conversion to the rear.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

you can order the hoppers kit in any pcd
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
sig2L

Post by sig2L »

hey mate, nah comes with everything you need, brackets, calipers, rotors, hubs, brake lines etc. And yeah any stud pattern you want..
A112H

Post by A112H »

Why aren't people doing this? It seems a much better option than hard to find Starion stuff, expensive NSX/Commy mix up or silly ideas like S13 or Centura struts.
Seems quite logical to me. I think I will be doing some serious investigating into Hoppers Stoppers.
woops

Post by woops »

Galant_GT0 wrote:Why aren't people doing this? It seems a much better option than hard to find Starion stuff, expensive NSX/Commy mix up or silly ideas like S13 or Centura struts.
Seems quite logical to me. I think I will be doing some serious investigating into Hoppers Stoppers.
I'd probably avoid the starion option unless you have a complete working set with good discs there. The discs are a bit hard to get for them and you still technically have to have it all engineered for legal reasons.

I wouldn't dismiss the commo NSX option so quickly. The calipers you can pick up for about 60 bucks and you can change the discs to a mitsubishi 380 rotor instead of the nsx as it has pretty much the same diameter as the nsx and commodore disc but has the right offset to not require a spacer between the disc and the hub for our conversion. (take note the spacer i am refering is in MrBishi's brake upgrade and isn't the same as a wheel spacer.) The reason why the nsx rotor was used is because at the time of that tutorial being created that was the closest disc available. All you would need is to get the brackets made up and change the master cylinder to suit the different calipers.

I'm not dissing the hoppers kit but i think there are other cheaper options out there that will do the same job if you are willing to a little more leg work.

I plan to do this conversion using the vt calipers and the 380 discs in the coming months hopefully.

Here is the website for MrBishi's upgrade.
http://www.hoonboy.com/tmp/MrBishiBrake ... pgrade.htm
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
sig2L

Post by sig2L »

How do you convert to floating rotors? What struts are you looking at converting?
A112H

Post by A112H »

I have that link thanks woops but I wasn't aware of the fitment of 380 discs. Not only would they be cheaper than the NSX discs but the engineering price of the kit would be reduced and the ease of finding discs in the future would be greatly increased with the 380 rotors. I have just bought some slotted GH rotors for my coil overs but will certainly be looking into something bigger when needed.
Now I have more to think about, lol
webby

Post by webby »

Would it be any better than the S13 front end conversion? 'coz $800 for EVERYTHING (coilovers, brakes etc) sounds a hell of a lot better than $1600 for just brakes to me
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I think the $1,600 upgrade might include 4 pot callipers (correct me if I am wrong). Anyone know what the S13s came with?
webby

Post by webby »

SR20DET calipers are 4-pot, i think
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
stealth

Post by stealth »

as usuall you guys have been given a working option that is reasonably priced and
i hear whinging ! why
why would you do all the leg work to get out of it for half the price but be unable to engineer
when you can buy the hoppers kit that "someone designed for there la,and fits perfect" is legall
bolt and drive that come engineer approved !

:facepalm:
come on guys :o
i keep hearing how theres nothing available ,and then when it is its like ohhh its to much i wont it for nothing :@
this make me MAD :banh:
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
A112H

Post by A112H »

^^^ +1
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Galant_GT0 wrote:Why aren't people doing this? It seems a much better option than hard to find Starion stuff, expensive NSX/Commy mix up or silly ideas like S13 or Centura struts.

Me wanting to use the Centura struts has nothing to do with brakes
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I have noticed that you can now buy slotted and drilled rotors to suit the front ventilated Starion discs ,on ebay. 8-)

And there probably wouldnt be an engineer in the country that would pick up on a Starion brake upgrade in a Sigma.

It just looks like it would have when it left the factory.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

the staz upgrade also has its bad points these days - try and by good pads for them they dont even do a metal king any more

I had to go to porterfield carbon kevlar pads @ about $ 300 an end by the way they do work ok but at a cost

so the hoppers stopers set up is looking cheaper all the time

I intend on upgrading from the starion brakes prob to a commodore dics set up including to bolt pattern

cheater
cheater
A112H

Post by A112H »

Got my slotted GH rotors yesterday. They will do for now as I ordered them before I knew about the Hoppers. When these need replacing or I have the spare dosh I will be upgrading to the Hoppers set up.

Now I need some calipers ................. anyone got a spare set??
Sean

Post by Sean »

I've been lurking this board for a long time... and the old one, never posted much!

Finally bought my first home, done settlement, all that jazz, and have a lovelly big new workshop to attack my little mitsubishi collection in.

The Mrs and I have his and hers GL scorps that will both be copping the same basic stuff, including brakes, and I'm weighing up my options. Both need new pads and rotors all round, and the flexible lines are looking a little 2nd hand on mine (haven't checked hers).

The cheap option is to just order some pads and rotors off ebay/repco/supercheap and replace for stock, be better than the worn out crap they have now, but not great (fine for hers that will not be getting a power upgrade!)

I'm not going the starion route, too many enthusiasts and not enough stazzas to go round, and its just more 20+ yo gear.

So that leaves me with either Hoppers (expensive to do 2 of them) or Hoonboys, with the 380 discs.

Hoppers I can research myself, I'm not worried at all seen as they are a pretty long standing company, just got to sell the mrs on the price. Hoonboys I need help on.

Have access to a machinist we use through work to make the plates up so thats all good, but the 380 discs, whats involved with the drilling of them? I assume I can't order them in blanks or with the scorp/sigma PCD? So they end up drilled with one mangled looking hole like the NSX? I know the clamping force is what holds them not the sheer strength of the studs but it can't look too good to an engineer?

I assume the spacers I don't need are the washers??

How will bigger brakes like these on the front go with stock replacements on the back? Can I get decent rotors and pads for the back even or am I stuck with normal ones?

With the older skylines using the same PCD as the sigmas, are there upgrade options for the back brakes using skyline rotors and calipers with a plate? I wouldn't mind putting a rally style hydraulic handbrake in my scorpion, so some decent braking in the back would be nice!

Or on another track am I better off with going to a more common 5 stud PCD when I do the brakes so that getting wheels and stuff later on is easier, and possibly not needing to get new rotors drilled every time I need them.

Lots of junk there... sorry for having to read all that!
A112H

Post by A112H »

All good Sean, I will start with what I know and then share what I think followed by pure speculation :P

You are correct, the cheapest and probably best option is slotted rotors and some EBC pads. This would be fine for hard driving and the odd track day. Also a really cheap option, maybe $600 each car; total

Hoppers may seem expensive but that is where so many fail, think about it; for $1500 you will get a massive upgrade delivered to your door, totally legal, well overstated brakes that you will ever need, seriously if you want your sigma to lift it's ass then the Hoppers are the go.

Hoonboy has offered a great package if you are able to chase, mix and match as well as chase an engineer. DO NOT get me wrong, hoonboys option is great but .............. there are easier options with in the legality of our roads.

I have gone the slotted rotors and EBC pads on mine for two reasons
1. Anything bigger than GC is great
2. These are cheap and offer more than enough brakes for my car.

The short of it really is what you want from you system mate. Think long and hard, it is a big change and one you don't really want to change more than you need to.

Good Luck
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I wonder if Hoppers Stoppers would do a discount if several members got together and bought several kits.

Also did some googling and found someone with a Hoppers Stoppers kit in their Sigma:
http://street-cruise.com/index.php?show ... show=&st=0
A112H

Post by A112H »

Pretty sure that is a non GH kit, lol. It would be well cool if they did both types. There were 3 or 4 sets by GH including Scorpion. The set photographed above look like GJ or so to me!
stealth

Post by stealth »

the problem is thay probably have sold three sets at most therefore are unwilling to make all the options
i considered doing the kit to sell here but never bothered as most guys will say yeah thay wont them,and lets do a group purchase ,well thats fine but it never happens same with all the parts that guys want
thay only want them if there free
as for hoonboys conversion i not sure that a engineer would pass them and even if thay would once you factor in all the work and getting it passed it will cost just as much as the hoppers kit and way more than the SPW versions
not being negitive just relalistic as no one wants to part with there hard earned cash
cheers stealth (H)
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

stealth wrote:not being negitive just relalistic as no one wants to part with there hard earned cash
I have no problem with parting with hard earned cash. It is just the amount of hard earned cash I have is not enough for most of these things. By the time I can afford a turbo upgrade, I should also be able to afford to upgrade brakes.
stealth

Post by stealth »

mate dont get me wrong i dont mean everyone
but to get guys to commit to anything is hard
also its hard for me to justify having more of my money invested in parts made and just sitting around while people save up for them
to make these parts cheap enough to be viable i have to make them in bulk ,like 10sets plus
then i got 15 grand sitting around and no one paying me for them
as i have said before i allready have like 20 grand i bits on the self on promises of people wanting them but when the time comes for them to buy thay dont want to put there money where there mouth is
this is why im so rude about this sort of thing on occasions ,and i apologize for this but i think i just explained why
hope you guys understand!
cheers stealth (H)
HoonBoy

Post by HoonBoy »

The "HoonBoy" upgrade everyone is talking about here is the MrBishi upgrade, he was generous enough to give me the details after he did the conversion and I copied it. That was 6-7 years ago when a lot of the options being mentioned here were not available.

If you don't want to pay the resonable amount for the hoppers upgrade then have a good hard look at different caliper and rotor options over the Commodore and NSX stuff. Whilst they work well, the NSX discs are expensive and not always available, you can look at Ford Focus and Mitus 380 discs for something similar without the cost and availability issues. Secondly, Commodore calipers are not the best ones out there, they tend to flex a lot due to the narrow mounting bracket and they need a lot of fluid to make them move. The best similar option are Falcon calipers which use a wider mounting pattern. Personally I would look at some Nissan 4-spots if you plan to do anything more then road and drag and are willing to work out how to mount them.
77lancer

Post by 77lancer »

will the hopper stopper kit fit my lancer? i would assume i would need to use the gh green struts?
stealth

Post by stealth »

sorry hoonboy ,i did think that it was mr bishi's but wasnt sure and others metioned your name and i ran with that ,my bad
yes guys organize a group purchase come up with the cash and i can make all the bits required no worrys,and thay can fit all types
as far as hoppers go i doubt thay will cut a deal with anyone as there in it for the cash ,but hay thay might surprize us
but i doubt it
as far as the conversion goes theres not a hole lot to it
billet hub to suit either holden 5 stud or ford 5 stud and a bracket for the PBR twin spot caliper
now hoppers supply everthing to "bolt on" and thats where the expense comes into it
as theres a few extras like : braided brake lines,the disc rotor all bolts washers and bearings and the calipers,but if people are willing to do the leg work on those it would be much cheaper
or i can soarce the lot !
BUT AND THIS IS A BIG ONE i would really need to see the cash up front as people like to commit to ideas but dont come though with the cash i KNOW THIS FROM EXPERIANCE HERE
as i have parts on the self that were intended for people and thay change there mind for whatever reason
this is what drives prices up as i have to lump the cost
not to metion the few that i (stupidly )sent parts to on a promise of payment then never heard from them again !
now i know this is partly my own fault but i still think that this is quite rude ,and i would say this is why there are no after market parts avaiable to us ,and its our own fault! (and i use the our very loosly)its a shame when everyone get tarred with the same brush
but if people keep doing it there will be nothing all avaiable ,this will bother some but not others!
cheers stealth (H)
516MA

Post by 516MA »

stealth, so can u give us some figures for the billet hub and the bracket?

this sounds awesome! front runners here i come lol ill need it in ford pattern if it will change figures?

If its cheaper ill be happy to do my leg work to find calipers,rotors and so on for my car but as to bolts, washers and bearings will we get to know which ones we need to get? if that is the case it sounds great :)

I just would like some confirmation on prices for hub, bracket and so on before i say im 100% :)

Nick
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines" - Enzo Ferrari.

1965 - xp falcon project
HoonBoy

Post by HoonBoy »

Make a set in 5x114.3 stud patern using common rotors (maybe BA Falcon??) and AP Racing 4 spots and I will pay :)
stealth

Post by stealth »

yeah well the ford pattern is 114.3 x 5 stud 72 degree splay and the disc rotor i use is ba falcon so no worries there i will find out a price on the ap calipers (i think there pretty pricey) but no dramas ,the cheaper alteritive is nissan 4 spots of skylines but havnt had a chance to look at it yet ,at the moment im using a stock ba falcon caliper PBR twin spot and thay workwell its a light car and brake fade isnt a issue ,and yes ive pushed it hard
the holden pattern is 120 x 5 stud 72 splay useing late model vy disc rotor and caliper to easy to find there a dime a dozen at every wrecker

516ma if the hoppers kit is how much ? what do you want to pay for something like this
as ive said to make it cheap enough i have to make them in bulk like 10 set plus so i havnt done a price up but im quite sure i can undercut them no worries
cheers stealth (H)