Hopper stoppers brake upgrade

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
brendon

Re: Hopper stoppers brake upgrade

Post by brendon »

Does anyone know if using the hopper stoppers kit changes the 'hub to hub' track and if so by how much.

I've emailed Hopper's but no reply as of yet.
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

So this kit will all bolt straight onto sigma struts? Does that mean its the same for galant struts?
N/A ALL THE WAY
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

i believe they do the same kit for the galant from memory......u dont need to change struts
Built with pride, Driven in anger
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

I've contacted them but forgot to add what struts I had :facepalm:
But I gave it to them today so hoping they will get back to me soon :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
MRGNLC

Post by MRGNLC »

Hey guys, this thread caught my eye as I've been looking to upgrade my brakes for a while.
Reading through, the commy/380 option would suit me as I have those bits laying around.
Thing I haven't noticed anyone say is what they bolted the disc to???
My gn isn't floating and the 380 discs are? What hub adaptors to use? And where they're available?
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

MRGNLC

The 380 are actually very very similar to the Ford products......from memory, you may find that the calipers (the body only) are actually the same part as the AU/BA/BF/FG calipers but with different brackets (to bolt up to a smaller rotor when compared to a Falcon rotor)
MRGNLC

Post by MRGNLC »

that didn't answer my question? how do you bolt the discs up as my discs arent knock off/floating.
are the 380 discs floating?
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

you'll have to buy the hub separately....much like the ones that u see on a Falcon for eg.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Anyone know which hub we need? Or if there is one that fits or is this all based on guestimations??
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

nah sadly not a clue.....never researched that when i worked for PBR
MRGNLC

Post by MRGNLC »

Cool, any ideas where to get them? Just rang racebrakes at wetherill park and they don't know of any hubs that would run sigma stud pattern, he said common whore might fit but dunnydores didn't have pepperpots and I do!!!!
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

try nissan r31 skyline

I had them bolted on my GJ Scorpion wagon
MRGNLC

Post by MRGNLC »

Cool, any clues as to where I could find some? Are they available at brake shops? Or would I have to get some from a wrecker and adapt?
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

nah they are a hub type rotor (like early Falcon and Commodore)....but the wheel studs are also on the rotor itself
MRGNLC

Post by MRGNLC »

Saweet!! Thanks heaps, that helps alot!
I've also, heard dudes running 4pot rx7 calipers, would anyone know what discs THEY use??
Saw a gsr at a car show that said he was running these, and still wore his pepperpot shoes, but I couldn't find him to ask him what discs he used??
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Nah i couldn't tell ya that one......

I've heard that alot of calipers fit these cars with "minor" mods....but never heard an actualy conversion done.......
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

Think people use the xa falcon hub with the 380 rotor which is 5 stud.

I will share what i know from my research....

easiest 4 stud would be r31 rotor and landcruiser caliper (got some calipers if anyone needs) But these aren't any bigger than the sigma, but much better 4 pot caliper and vented disc. They will bolt onto a gj/gn even with a spot of grinding on the caliper mount.

i tried rx7 SP rotor, trailer hub and landcruiser caliper on a GJ but didn't work, mainly because trailer hub doesn't offset out far enough, hoppers one offsets much more (11mm) and could not use spacers on the trailer hubs for legal reasons. But this would work with a blank redrilled rx7 disc on a (perhaps modified) sigma hub. Rx7 disc is pretty big, 290-300mm, cant remmeber. Would fit under most 15s

The landcruiser and some rx7 calipers are made for a fairly thin vented disc, in the 20-24 region. Commodore, falcon, nissan are around the 28-30 region. When i was scouring the DBA cattledog for ones to suit the landcruisier caliper it became rapidly apparent that most decent size vented discs are fairly thick making falc/como/nissan better starting points imo. Also the falc and commo caliper has a bar between the bolt holes, i found this really got in the way on my attempts.

That said BA falcon caliper (got a spare set of these too ;)) is what hoppers use, there is no major change in offset, if any, so slipping a blank/redrilled ba disc over a sigma hub with a ba caliper would probably be workable with some brackets. My issue was trailer hub offset due to wanting 5 stud.

Early struts look easy due to the lack of cast caliper mount. Later is a bit more work. Why cant the sigma hub be used? the brake disc bolts off it on mine? Then you would put the disc over it and machnie the hub diameter so it located, or machine the disc centre ring or hub so it located that way, or both. Or if the brake disc centre hole was bigger than the hub get a spacer machined up for the hub.

VS commodore has a floating hub, and just needs a spot of machining to make the outer brearing sit lower to work but the sigma hub would be a better starting point.

I got sick of mucking around and just bought the hoppers.

If your near enough to katoomba your welcome to come have a look at my hopper kit, i also have a spare strut, landcruiser calipers, ba calipers, rx7 discs, sigma hubs and discs if you want to have a play.
MRGNLC

Post by MRGNLC »

back again guys. i did some research into the rx7 brakes
pcd on the fc or series 5 is same as sigma, discs bolt up the same as sigma (they're non-floating like the sigma) and the 4 pot calipers bolt up via custom bracket (not much work needed)
hearing about crap feel with the commodore caliper, ill try both and keep you posted, whichever works better will end up on the track car.....
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

commodore caliper would really need a 1 inch bore master, or better yet a VT onwards master, these have a fast fill section for the front calipers.

have you checked the wheel bearing from mazda will work with sigma upright?