Are Twin Carby's Worth It?

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
valitank

Are Twin Carby's Worth It?

Post by valitank »

Hi All

I have a stock 2 Lt and it has a heap of go (never been flogged) i was just wondering if a twin carb setup would give it a good increase on power and accelaration. What are they like in term of economy and sound? and also can you use them on an auto?
thanks heaps
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Are Twin Carby's Worth It?

Post by TUFSIG »

i had twin 40dcoe webbers on my 2.6 maunal and they went great and sounded awesome
for a basic upgrade they are great and good for starting out ect or you could even go a good single carby upgrade
and yes it will work with auto and manual

here is a picture of them on my 2.6
like i said they are twin 40dcoe's on a redline manifold
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

81GL

Post by 81GL »

Also running side draughts my self; dellorto DHLA40

On a stock engine, you will notice an increase provided they are tuned for it; small chokes and associated jets. To help put them in the rev range of your engine.

& of course they are capable of then being tuned again to what ever you do to the engine later on.

Be warned though... they are NOT cheap to play with; by the time you have them running in your car, wouldn't expect change out of $1000 & that's being conservative.
Plus to re-tune them...

Not trying to scare you off, just giving you a heads up before you jump in the deep end.
If you are just after a bit more go for a price... plently of other options!

Good luck
Nick.

PS: good to see another 2lt :thumpsup:
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
81GL

Post by 81GL »

oops :$
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

yeah after purchase of the carbs and manifolds and then having them both rebuilt and tuned it just tiped 950 bucks
but if you want to stay away from efi like i did in the begining then its a good option, however eventually like most people EFI turbo grabs you and you cant get away lol
but trust me have fun with some carbys :P

i did
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

What sort of twin carbies do you mean, side or down draught?
If you are after twin down draughts like the set on my wagon but for 2lt, ask C Fernance. He has a set on his 2.6lt sigma. He should be able to give you advice.

If it's down draughts you are after:
To have them work properly you would need a matching cam, distributor mods.

My experiences:
The twin set up on my 4G32 (1600 wagon) didn't do a great deal to my power, but sounded a lot better. I don't have a matching cam or distributor mods. I have extractors and a larger exhaust.
Standard the car got 8lts to 100km's, with the exhaust 9lts to 100km's and with the carbs 10lts to 100km's. I have since added a No.5 cam and it has raised it to 13.6lts to 100km's for very little else than an awesome sounding lumpy idle and a little higher redline point. I'm still running the standard distributor set up, and as you can see this is not working very well as a combination. I have found another cam in my shed that has smaller lobes then the No.5 but larger than the standard (obviously I don't have the specs for it). I will try this next. I still need to change my distributor, I have the stats that it should run to to match the carbs, I've just got to find someone that can mod it. Then some money :banh:
It ran fine with the standard cam, it just wasn't any quicker, but it's never been about speed for me..

I hope this info helps?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

if its any help when my sigma was first built to do hillclimb the engine was a std 2lt apart
from a set of 45 mm webers and 4 into 1 headers

from memory I used 34 mm chokes 135 mains 165 or 170 air bleeds 4.5 ex venturis
emution tubes I think were F16 sorry can't remember what idle jet I run ( it was 10 years back )
even after fitting a small cam and other work it still worked quite well with 37 mm chokes
with of cause some bigger mains and airs
I think it made 84 rwkw with still quite good torque over the complete range I still have the dyno sheet some where
So if you go for 40 mm webers you can still get up to a 37 mm choke but on a std 2Lt go for some 34s

and apart for webers look the ducks guts they do sound great

the other good thing is if you do go this way is other mods do wake up these engines
ie some port work - a nice little 35/75 cam

anyway there some food for thought
cheater
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but doing anything to a car "because it makes it sound better" seems like a WOFTAM to me ....
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

davetrees wrote:"because it makes it sound better"
:facepalm: That sounds like me....

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
valitank

Post by valitank »

Thanks for the help guys.
Its got the thinking tho....... Would a astron II fit a ge with a 3 spd auto. then is the efi bolt on from there?
Thanks
P.S Sorry if i sound a dumbass :facepalm: but im only 15 and new to the sigma side of things :D
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

davetrees wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here, but doing anything to a car "because it makes it sound better" seems like a WOFTAM to me ....
exhaust noise is a different matter then induction noise
a stupid sports exhaust can sound so lame but the induction noise of twin carbs sounds great
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

davetrees

Post by davetrees »

TUFSIG wrote:
davetrees wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here, but doing anything to a car "because it makes it sound better" seems like a WOFTAM to me ....
a stupid sports exhaust can sound so lame but the induction noise of twin carbs sounds great
I must just be getting old .... :lol:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I think the difference davetrees, is that you modify your car for racing, so performance is essential. Where as my wagon was originally bought as a paint truck for me. If it looks shiny and makes some noise then that's great, but with my driving record I don't need anything that is even remotely quick, thus the wagon.

Dave...
81GL

Post by 81GL »

TUFSIG wrote:but the induction noise of twin carbs sounds great
Its so true...

Valitank - when you say will an Astron 2 fit in, I'm assuming your asking if a complete Astron 2 2.6 will fit in?
Yes it will, provided you get a narrow block 2.6 (one that's already mated to an auto).

As for EFI, wil let someone with experience take over lol
84GSR

Post by 84GSR »

One thing no ones mentioned here,but very important, is the kick down linkage to the trans. Unless you want to manual shift your tranny ALL the time,you'll need to fabricate a linkage for the kickdown to work. Twin Carby or EFI,some fab work will be needed.
A112H

Post by A112H »

davetrees wrote:
TUFSIG wrote:
I must just be getting old .... :lol:
Induction roar is to die for, I love it. I have ummed and arghed over turboing the coupe, I love the roar soooo much, it would be sad to lose :(
Most of the late model (read; fwd NA) cars with "sports" exhaust are actually making less power than a stock exhaust. Makes me laugh when you see someone ringing the neck of their eXcel or Lancer and it is going nowhere.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

dont turbo it..
please hahah
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

yeah, my twin 45s sounded so good :) i miss them. . i want webbers again. i wish webers made the car go as hard as a turbo does lol.
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
A112H

Post by A112H »

I will be going 4G63, just haven't decided on turbo or not yet, if not it will run quad throttle body efi, should sound AWESOME!!! But like 13bsigma said, ya gotta love the turbo power.
It is going to be a hard decision
Sorry this is right off topic, yes go for twin carbs, you will love the sound they make when ya foot is burried. They will make a bit more power, but not a huge amount with out cam, timing and dizzy mods. but they will sound sweet.
Did I mention the sound?

Edit: I am guessing the 2.0 is in a Siggy? Not sure how you would go for room with side drafts in a GA.