GH front Guards, wagon different to sedan?

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
metaldrift

GH front Guards, wagon different to sedan?

Post by metaldrift »

Hey guys, been down to wreckers near me and have been told that with some sigma's the front guards are different between wagons and sedans (couple mil longer or something). Anyone able to tell me if this is true for GH sigma's as I got a wagon and some chinese uni student reveresed into me so need new guard and only sedan ones in good nic round here. Also wondering cause i got a XC cobra bonnet cut down to fit to go on but it was on a sedan GH.
Cheers :!:
panda

Re: GH front Guards, wagon different to sedan?

Post by panda »

There are heaps of variations between sedans & wagons. The only garantee is to use wagon panels, although there are some common parts, but not many.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

They do look identical... but wouldn't be surprised if there was a 'slight' difference (as with every other bit of these cars :lol: )

is there a wagon at the wrecker as well? take the gaurd off at the wrecker and try a dummy fit while your there?

Anyone know for sure?
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

There's no GH wagon's at any wrecker in Toowoomba, closest I could find one is in brisbane and since the old girl aint reg'd at mo bit hard to get down there, cant fit the guard in my wife's convertible lol. I think the front guards are the same so i'll order one up soon and hope it fit's, just thought i'd see if anyone new first, otherwise I'll panelbeat the old one but it's pretty bent lol!
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

i think the sedan and wagons of GH shape will fit each other in the fronts and to help im pretty sure L200 ute fronts will fit as well and maybe GE sigma front guards, the real difference is between scorpions and sigmas, the scorpions are about 30 mm longer in the front so sigma panels dont fit.

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
sigtool

Post by sigtool »

hi
they are the same i had wagon panels on my old sedan fitted fine was no noticable difference
so i would say you would right buyen them.

cheers
"Boosted is The Only Way To Live"
<Sigma Turbo No.177 >
<96 Astron Powered Triton>
<81 GJ Scorpion>
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I think the major differences only started with the GJ -GK_GN.

The early front panels will bolt onto the later wagons, but the sedans are totally different.

One of the members on the old site had a GN wagon with a GH front. Straight changeover.
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

Cheers for that, i'll get the sedan ones and fit them.
camB

Post by camB »

Works the other way 'round too. My GE has GN wagon doors (with the adjust-from-inside black mirrors) and an L200 bonnet. Admittedly the bonnet doesn't have the chrome strip, but I was a beggar not a chooser at the time.
woops

Post by woops »

One of the members on the old site had a GN wagon with a GH front. Straight changeover.
I'm guessing that you'd probably be referring to me. :D

I wouldn't exactly say that it was a straight change over but the guards use all the same bolt locations. The only thing that needed modding was welding on the headlight brackets to suit the 4 rectangular lights and sort out the different grill mounting locations.

And to confirm the GH sedan and wagons are the same front ends are interchangeable. The problems come with the later GJ to GN models where the sedans and wagons are not interchangeable.

The GH are pretty similar in the body to the GJ - GN wagon models though apart from the headlights and front suspension mounting points. The rear suspension is the same though so any GH scorp and gh sigma diffs use the same mounting locations as all the wagons. Just watch the upper control arms on the scorp diff but more detail on that can be found elsewhere on the site.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I guess your ears were burning :lol: