ge 4g62 sohc turbo conversion

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
NOM4D

ge 4g62 sohc turbo conversion

Post by NOM4D »

hey guys
had a bit of a search on here and couldnt come up with many results,

the story goes, iv been a cordia owner and enthusiast for years now,, but i have
came into posession of a MINT GE.. love the 2ltr but im a tinker'er and had a bright
spark idea to put a g62 sohc turbo in it from a donor car i have here,,

i saw a thread on here that someone has asked the same question,
iv got most of it figured out,, as far as i can gather the 4g5x series and 4g6x series
gearboxes are the same pattern?

iv got the computer, loom, full reco engine and a car full of parts to do the conversion,,

my question is what problems am i most likely to run into, having a bit of trouble trying to
use my brain to figure out engine mounts,, dump pipe shouldnt be a hassle, wiring will be relativly easy as its coming out as a whole with the engine, fuel pump will be a bosh 044 etc etc,,
EDIT: also forgot,, i was curious what clutch and flywheel will i have to use? i was thinking maby a vr4 4g63?

back to the question, has anyone here actually finished this conversion, and what hassles am i likely to run into ,,

even if you havnt ,, lemmie know your thaughts on the topic,,

cheers guys,

reason for edit,, left info out
brodie :mrgreen:
mint GE nanna spec
4g62T SOHC conversion in the works,

t3 turbo, sonata MPI , megasquirt

zZzZz TuTuTu
woops

Re: ge 4g62 sohc turbo conversion

Post by woops »

Well to put the cordia engine into the sigma you would need the RWD engine mounts to suit the 4g63 from a starion or l300 ute and also the turbo exhaust manifold from a starion would make life a bit easier for pointing the turbo exhaust in the right direction. You would prob have to play with the direction of where the intake side is pointing but that is easy enough to rotate the inlet housing by just loosing the band clamp apply a bit of wd40 to get things moving and then make a custom bracket for the wastgate actuator.

If your turbo is a bit screwed you can go for a starion one but on the 1.8L may be a little more laggy. You may want to look at the a galant td05 14g or something like that and adapt that as it's easier to find a good one of them and the do the same thing with the housing rotating.

As for the gearbox the block is a narrow gearbox housing so any 2L sigma box would suit fine. No idea what clutch you would need but any good clutch place would be able to help you once you have the engine and gearbox spline they will be able to get one to suit.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
panda

Post by panda »

woops wrote:As for the gearbox the block is a narrow gearbox housing so any 2L sigma box would suit fine. No idea what clutch you would need but any good clutch place would be able to help you once you have the engine and gearbox spline they will be able to get one to suit.
Personally, I'd be using a Starion box & clutch, as they are stronger than the 2.0L Sigma box.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

panda wrote:Personally, I'd be using a Starion box & clutch, as they are stronger than the 2.0L Sigma box.
Only problem is the Starion gearbox is a WIDE block..

Cheers.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

panda wrote: Personally, I'd be using a Starion box & clutch, as they are stronger than the 2.0L Sigma box.
but not a lot stronger its surprising how many parts are the same inside both boxs

see what happens a guy sells his sigma and everything starion becomes good lol !
I still think a 2.6 would be better in the staz pete
cheater
NOM4D

Post by NOM4D »

thanks for the info guys really helpfull

so it IS a doable conversion,, . does anyone know if the 4g63 mounts will fit on a 4g62?
mint GE nanna spec

zZzZz TuTuTu
panda

Post by panda »

cheaterparts wrote:I still think a 2.6 would be better in the staz pete
Might be closer to reality than you think, I'm considering staying with 4G63 for the new Rally car, but going G54B turbo for present autox car. Just considering options at this stage. ;) ;)
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

got any pics of your nanna spec GE? i wanna see :) mine is pretty nanna spec. i'm 2nd owner off a lady who got too old to drive and it now lives in my nannas garage. lol.

i lost my girlfriends camera so i cant take any pics yet :(
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
NOM4D

Post by NOM4D »

il get the old girl out and give her a clean up,, damn dust storms around here grr haha

chucked the oldskool black plastic outer venetion nanna spec goodness on the other day lol
mint GE nanna spec

zZzZz TuTuTu
NOM4D

Post by NOM4D »

ok guys the ball has started rolling, my cordz is ready to be picked up,,
getting ready to pull the engine out, gota go to the wreckers today and buy some mounts
vr4 flywheel and clutch,
couple more questions..
since im using g62.. someone said use a starion turbo manifold,, will this bolt on? or do i have to go custom? ^thaught staz were 2.0 63 sohc dash , or sirus,?*
best brake booster? *will need stopping power * :geek:
also its probly been covered a million times but suspension wise what is the easiest and most cost effective? i was thinking maby some galant coilovers?

hopefully going magna disc break setup,,
:lol:

brodie :mrgreen:
mint GE nanna spec

zZzZz TuTuTu
webby

Post by webby »

DASH motors are RARE. Jap import only, never sold here new.
Starion manifold will bolt on, as will the mounts. Basically, any RWD parts you need you can pinch off a Starion/L300 4G63.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

are the l300's narrow block or wide block like the starions??? i know the l200 utes that came out with the 63 are narrow block.

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
webby

Post by webby »

L300's are wideblock like Starions, not too sure on the L200 as the only ones I have ever seen are an MA that was originally a 4G32 with a 2L Astron conversion and a 4D56 MB
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
NOM4D

Post by NOM4D »

sweet,
thanks webby your a champ,

dash motors arent that uncommon amongst cordias,,
tis why i ask,, i know allot about cordias,, but when it comes to mixing it up to rwd with the sigmas unsure about compatabillity,,

thanks for the imput webby your a life saver,,

what is your personal imput on the conversion,
everyones pretty much told me what to do, thanks guys,,
now onto your personal thaughts,, usualy most forums say
ur a dick wtf are u thinking haha,,
get into it guys i wana know wat yas think
mint GE nanna spec

zZzZz TuTuTu
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

Have a look at my EX Lancer, It runs a rwd 4g62 and a Starion box. if you are pulling your motor out of a Cordial, it will be a narrow block. A Starion exhaust manifold will fit but if it is a dash motor you will have trouble with the intake manifold (Different port shape.) I would be looking for a jap 5 speed, and using a 2ltr sigma flywheel and clutch setup.
Engine mounts should be a starion or a rwd 4g63 car. You should only need one side as one of the mounts should be the same.
NOM4D

Post by NOM4D »

^^^^ LEGEND all my answers in one
mint GE nanna spec

zZzZz TuTuTu