How to stop rust?

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
516MA

How to stop rust?

Post by 516MA »

I have the very sad news that the workshop my sigma has been living in is now sold :( = no hoist for me anymore :( but the worst part was i was faced with a little dilemma.

Now the workshop is sold i have no place to put it! i had two choices either give up and send it to the crusher or keep it in the back yard... i couldnt bear taking it to the crusher so i have decided on the back yard idea lol :D

Now i want a way that it wont (in the case of rain) get wet coz in turn rain/ moister = rust and i dont want it to suffer anymore!!!

So i was thinking of buying a little tent type thing that i sore in a super cheap auto catalog? will this help with stopping it from rusting quickly?

Any other suggestions like car covers? maybe checking and shamy-ing the out side every week or what?

Nick
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines" - Enzo Ferrari.

1965 - xp falcon project
GC75
Admin

Re: How to stop rust?

Post by GC75 »

i bought a car cover and it does alright just take it off on those sunny days and air your car out :)
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

http://www.carcapsule.com :)
Or, as above - waterproof car cover. And yes you will need to air it out every now and then. I also put a few of those water-absorbing things that you put in cupboards (Damp-rid?) in the car as well. If they are going to be left unattended for a long time, put them in a saucepan because Ive had some crack and leak. And wipe the interior over with metho to keep the mould down. Also take the cover off periodically and let the condensation dry off it too or your body will go rusty from that. And put something soft (like a sheet) between the cover and your paint or when the wind makes the cover flap it will abrade your paint. Youll need to dry the sheet sometimes too.
If youre likely to have falling branches, then yes, one of those things with a roof that looks like a beach shelter. Remember to tie it down.
Might be easier just to move somewhere with a garage :)
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Try not to park it on the grass....
I've found parking cars on grass for long periods is bad.
The moisture from the ground acts like parking it in a very shallow pool of water.
The sun evaporates the water from the ground and steams the car.
(sorry can't think of a better way to explain it)

Parking it on the road would be better than grass...

Also invest in de-odourised Fish oil.....
or even Techtroyl (think that's how you spell it)
You can get them from Supercheap Auto's

I fish oiled my wagon and it won't rust now cause the water and air can't get to the metal.
At least that's the plan.. :D
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
516MA

Post by 516MA »

where did u put the fish oil inside the car? or everywhere lol

looks like im more than likely parking it on gravel, rocks so not to much moisture in those. i hope anyway.

Nick

1965 - xp falcon project
516MA

Post by 516MA »

also 75wagon i plan on airing it out every weekend when its sunny anyway :D but im going to be respraying it in the near future so this wont effect it if u no what i mean.

1965 - xp falcon project
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

516MA wrote: looks like im more than likely parking it on gravel, rocks so not to much moisture in those. i hope anyway.
Nick
Maybe put a plastic sheet over the gravel ....
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
516MA

Post by 516MA »

tarp? lol

Nick

1965 - xp falcon project
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

i air mine out every afternoon, and i find it to be ok like doesnt hold water at all, except for at the bottom some times... but you gotta tie it on properly i found out haha.

and yer i fished oiled my car, and i found its a good grease and heat proof remover haha :P
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

You could make a car space with pavers or old bricks.

Spray the fish oil inside your panels.
remove door trims.
I even sprayed it in the plenum chamber (the vent in front of the windscreen), It drains the water down to the front of the sills behind the mudguards (where your car collects all the dirt and shit). Undo the mudguards and clean it out, it holds water and makes them rust. I took off the access panels in the front of the plenum chamber (access for the wiper mechanism) and sprayed in there.

Fish oil doesn't dry...it stays sticky/ wet.....

The more places you can get it the better (think: they don't paint the inside of the chassis rails or sills)

HINT: be careful near your roof lining, it stains...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

haha i used it with my roof lining still in but thats it, but thats the only thing im getting redone really... like upholestery wise i think... so doesn't bother me.

I sprayed all in the doors and everywhere inside the car.
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Best way to stop it rusting is put it in a shed. :)

Everything else is a compromise.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

karl_2ltgc wrote:Best way to stop it rusting is put it in a shed. :)

Everything else is a compromise.
I'm working on that myself, but a 3 car garage isn't cheap, and even then i won't be able to fit them all in.

I'm looking at about 8-10 thousand for the shed, another 4 for a slab, plus more for earthworks, stormwater plumbing, etc. Thats doing it all myself too, an extra couple of grand if they do it.

My goal is to have it up by Christmas.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I'm also working on a 3 car garage, just getting the plans drawn to put thru council.
Then I'll look seriously for a project car.
I wonder what I'll find?...
516MA

Post by 516MA »

It all good guys :D im so relieved now i found that my gran is moving into a place with her boyfriend that has a 4 garage shed!!! and in usual granny style she told me i can have one of the bays for my sigma and tools!! and better yet there moving out sticks lol so no chance of rust out there! lucky coz i just fixed it all lol :D

Im so happy now lol no more panicking ;)

Nick :D

1965 - xp falcon project
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

yer im getting a double garage built i hope :twisted: