first gen magna engine parts onto sigma?

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
carcycle

first gen magna engine parts onto sigma?

Post by carcycle »

would anyone happen to know if an astron 2 tp magna head would go onto a gk 2.6 sigma without drama?

i need a new head on my gsr and have plenty of magna wrecks and thought if i can put something better than just sigma, i will!

I have no idea on this area of things, but i assume the fuel injection setup would be a bit of an operation though as that is also an option!?

Thanks

Alex
Sigmaproject

Re: first gen magna engine parts onto sigma?

Post by Sigmaproject »

Will go on but your inlet manifold stud pattern is different and the Magna has flat top pistons, where as the GK has dished. Will result in a lower compression ratio.
carcycle

Post by carcycle »

yea, i hadnt driven it for a while, then i looked and the radiator was dry! That was near on 6months ago and i havent driven it since, its waiting to be fixed now i just need to thright head... would love something a bit done up or something motor wise even ... so anyones help would be great!!

Alex

:)
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

A location might help if your looking for an engine? (and maybe a rough price range & what your after eg: what transmission do you have currently; wide narrow)

You can still put an astron 2 head on? just needs ('just' :lol: ) a good deal taken off it, 2.5mm, or more if you can, maybe 3mm ish.
Your current exhaust will bolt up, and then your efi gear can go on if your compelled to go that way :)

If your interested... there are brand new heads for sale on ebay...

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
carcycle

Post by carcycle »

hmm i was used to teh old site hwere my location came up over there <<< hehe, guess i havent done that yet!

Ok, what i have is an 84 GK GSR 5speed.

I am in adelaide and am after a good head for it.

At the moment my options are...

1. Fit a 2.6 TP like Magna head (sounds like too much drama though)

2. I have 2 2L sigmas which apparantly have the right head??? They are square headlight models, but what i need to know here is will they be ok to go straight on?

3. Find someone selling one, quickly.

4. Find a whole engine package that could go straight in, but good - but cheap!

AT this stage one of the heads off the 2L's is the most viable option, just need to know if theyll work... apparantly if they have the bigger 'moon' type ring at the front or something theyll be ok!?

Alex
81GL

Post by 81GL »

As far as im aware... a 2lt head should bolt straight on yes (might be the best option to get you out of trouble for now, rather than rushing a purchase.)
Only thing different is the cam from the 2lt to 2.6lt. BUT the 2lt had the better cam anyway, so you should be set to bolt the complete head straight on. Obviously astron 1 to astron 1... inlet etc. will bolt up fine.

Nick.

Edit: Oh... & the 'half moon' thing refers to the half moon grommet that the breather goes into at the front of the head.
Astron Boy

Post by Astron Boy »

Doesn't putting a small capacity head onto a larger capacity block make the entire thing a different CC?
I know with the Sirius if you put a 2.4 head onto the 2.0 block you get 2.2...
Service Manuals for Astron & Saturn powered Cars
Available manuals: TM Magna/ GH, GN Sigma/ A51-GC Galant
panda

Post by panda »

Engine capacity (or displacement) is determined by the bore x stroke x no. of cylinders. Unless you change any of these 3 factors when changing a head, the capacity of an Astron engine will not change.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
Astron Boy

Post by Astron Boy »

ahh, gotcha. :)
Learn something new everyday!
Service Manuals for Astron & Saturn powered Cars
Available manuals: TM Magna/ GH, GN Sigma/ A51-GC Galant
carcycle

Post by carcycle »

cool.

the head off one of my wrecks is out getting cleaned up and should be all done by the end of the week i imagine.

Glad to know it isnt going to slow it down!! They certainly dont need any help!! hehe

Alex.
81GL

Post by 81GL »

panda wrote:Engine capacity (or displacement) is determined by the bore x stroke x no. of cylinders. Unless you change any of these 3 factors when changing a head, the capacity of an Astron engine will not change.
Spot on... you just have to keep in mind the compression ratio which will result... :roll:

Good to hear Carcycle. & yes... they always need more go :lol: