GE sigma gearknob removal

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
Phantom

GE sigma gearknob removal

Post by Phantom »

Any tricks? It seems the whole chrome shaft and knob just keep spinning.
The previous owner of my GH fitted a manual drive train from a GE. I want to run the GH SE centre console. And need to get the knob off to go through the gearstick boot.
C_Fernance

Re: GE sigma gearknob removal

Post by C_Fernance »

If it's the factory knob then they just unscrew. They are a normal right hand thread, but there is usually a lock nut that is done up against the underside of the knob that needs to be loosened first.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

From memory I haven't seen one, but would expect one from previous cars. will have a look tomorrow

C_furnace is a name I remember from 10 years ago on the AUstarion forum when I had a Starion with the plates GADGET.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Thats me. I haven't been on there in years though. I forgot my password and my email had changed and I've never gotten around to sorting it out.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I found a circuit at the bottom of the chrome shaft that needs removal...i reckon once that's out something is gonna give.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Circuit should have been circlip. All I had to do to get my knob off was Remove the circlip and pull my stick real hard and the knob and stick came off.