Hydraulic Clutch Conversion - GN Sigma

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
brichman

Hydraulic Clutch Conversion - GN Sigma

Post by brichman »

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of attempting a DIY hydraulic clutch solution for my GN wagon. Reason being is that the clutch cable current is way too close to my turbo dump, and moving it out of the way is making it significantly harder to press - yet alone when a heavy duty clutch will be installed.

Has anyone ever completed this / thought about it?

Any ideas or advice appreciated,

Cheers!
brichman

Re: Hydraulic Clutch Conversion - GN Sigma

Post by brichman »

I've got a Jap 5sp, if that makes any difference.

I know there was once an article (in the ULTIMATE FAQ DIRECTORY).. but all of those old links are dead :/
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

I have used a Starion box and hydraulic setup (pedal, master, line, slave cylinder) in my Sigma, however this is a Wide block only thing..

I have thought about trying to adapt a Magna or Cordia (as would be narrow bock pattern) arm and slave cylinder to a box.
it would be a matter of cutting a hole for the arm and welding a few mounting points on the bell housing for the slave cylinder.
also mounting the master to the firewall, and adapting the pedal to suit.

in theory..
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The factory turbo heat shield seems to do a good job of protecting the cable from heat damage. You would need to chase up a box and master cylinder that was fitted to models with a hydraulic clutch from factory ...imports like a Starion and the 2.6 Pajero (minus the transfer case) from the late 80,s. Although if you have space problems with a cable clutch , I doubt you would have space for a clutch mater cylinder and hydraulic lines.

brichman

Post by brichman »

GB_BB4C wrote:I have used a Starion box and hydraulic setup (pedal, master, line, slave cylinder) in my Sigma, however this is a Wide block only thing..

I have thought about trying to adapt a Magna or Cordia (as would be narrow bock pattern) arm and slave cylinder to a box.
it would be a matter of cutting a hole for the arm and welding a few mounting points on the bell housing for the slave cylinder.
also mounting the master to the firewall, and adapting the pedal to suit.

in theory..
Thanks for the input. I'll have to go down to the wreckers and have a look!

Sigmaproject wrote:The factory turbo heat shield seems to do a good job of protecting the cable from heat damage. You would need to chase up a box and master cylinder that was fitted to models with a hydraulic clutch from factory ...imports like a Starion and the 2.6 Pajero (minus the transfer case) from the late 80,s. Although if you have space problems with a cable clutch , I doubt you would have space for a clutch mater cylinder and hydraulic lines.

Hmm... I was wondering about heatshielding. Any chance you, or anyone else has photos of such? So I can attempt to re-make one 8-)
brichman

Post by brichman »

In terms of my lack of space, its more because my clutch cable seems to come a long way 'out' from the firewall, and out to where the exhaust manifold is before it turns back and heads to the gearbox. Maybe my cable is incorrect?
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Could be the wrong cable. I bought one from ebay that had all of the right fittings..but was about 600mm too long.

Here are the shields + add a turbo blancket and everything is sweet.

brichman

Post by brichman »

Sigmaproject wrote:Could be the wrong cable. I bought one from ebay that had all of the right fittings..but was about 600mm too long.

Here are the shields + add a turbo blancket and everything is sweet.

Awesome! Thanks mate. I'll sus out the cable, and using that picture i'll have a go at making some type of heatshield. Looks like it uses the rocker cover as one of the mounting points :)
Cheers!
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The factory shield are a work of art :P Hard to replicate. Someone may have a set for sale.
steinie

Post by steinie »

hi all

I have been looking into this too. I have a Starion wideblock 4G63T in a GK GSR, have used the standard Starion clutch with the standard GK gearbox, the cable does not like this clutch...
I have got a couple of Starion gearboxes and an import A164 here which had a hydraulic master cylinder but I cant bring myself to start cutting and welding the firewall of my GK.
running the hoses and the slave woill not be a problem with a starion box fitted, its just mounting the master that is my issue, would love to find a way to mount it under the dash.

the Starion gearbox has mounting locations and a fork to suit the hydraulic slave cylinder, so this box will make it easy to covert and have heard these are stronger boxes too

any help or sudgestions???
GK GSR Sigma with 4G63B, GT28 turbo, multi point EFI, EMS Stinger
NK Pajero DOHC V6, Lifted, Snorkel, Roof Racks, HID's LED Light bar
Bmxer54

Post by Bmxer54 »

GB_BB4C, when you say you used they starion hydraulic pedal box. did you use the brake pedal aswell? i got myself a starion clutch pedal bit when i looked at my gj scorpion i couldn't see where it would bolt up, do i need the starion brake pedalbox aswell?
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Pretty sure I switched the Sigma pedal box over. so remove the Sigma clutch and brake pedal setup, install the Starion brake pedal where the Sigma one was. As for the clutch it bolts to the firewall with the master cylinder, I made up another bracket for the other end to attach to something as our dash frames don't have the other mounting point that the Starion does.
I think you can remove the clutch pedal from the Sigma pedal box too if you did not get that with the rest of the Starion stuff
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

Sigmaproject wrote:The factory turbo heat shield seems to do a good job of protecting the cable from heat damage. You would need to chase up a box and master cylinder that was fitted to models with a hydraulic clutch from factory ...imports like a Starion and the 2.6 Pajero (minus the transfer case) from the late 80,s. Although if you have space problems with a cable clutch , I doubt you would have space for a clutch mater cylinder and hydraulic lines.

I did that for the LC.while back now, you make a plate up for inside the cabin so you can mount the pedal on the floor, mount that master on the engine bay wall.(2 holes if i recall), run your line to the slave
Got to source a widebody set up.(easiest)

There would be numerous links to how people did it ...can find photos /link maybe?
leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

Bmxer54 wrote:GB_BB4C, when you say you used they starion hydraulic pedal box. did you use the brake pedal aswell? i got myself a starion clutch pedal bit when i looked at my gj scorpion i couldn't see where it would bolt up, do i need the starion brake pedalbox aswell?
i think I had to pull it apart and remove the clutch pedal things and reinstall...?. the starion pedal was separate
brendon

Post by brendon »

slight hijack sorry about that..
Would a starion pedal box + MC work with a commodore getrag box or am i better off trying something else. I have a pajero pedal box and M/C
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

just put a heat sleave over the cable
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust