V6 Conversion - Few Questions

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
knk

V6 Conversion - Few Questions

Post by knk »

Hi guys,

I've been lurking here a while while contemplating the purchase of a 78 Sigma. Took a look at it on Sunday and if all goes well, I'll be picking it up on the weekend. I've actually already put a (only $50 lol) deposit on it, but may pass it up if it works out too costly.

I'm in Melbourne, and looking to register it for on road use. Nothing crazy power wise, just want something to work on and eventually drive on the weekends.

Looking at using the kit from v6conversions, however it obviously doesn't cover everything. Also some problematic stories regarding the gearbox crossmember worry me. I called them though and they assured me it'll all bolt up using a vn rubber mount or something.

I've done extensive searching on here, however apologies if I've missed something that's been covered before.

So basically, engine mounts, gearbox , wiring etc I have my head around.

Confused about:

Diff:
From what I was reading I can throw in a scorpion 10 bolt and be done with it, just have the commodore? tailshaft shortened and mated to the scorpion end?

Suspension:
From an engineering perspective what's required on this end?

Brakes:
Will a disc brake rear end setup from a newer Sigma be adequate with the front discs on an ecotec?

Gearbox:
Tunnel, will smashing the tunnel with a hammer to achieve clearance make getting this thing registered / engineered an issue? Apparently it needs a "slight" modification.

Please put my mind at ease so I can go and buy this beast on the weekend :).

Thanks guys
brendon

Re: V6 Conversion - Few Questions

Post by brendon »

I have been building an ecotec over a number of year, Im in not rush. ITs on hold at the moment until my shed gets put back up after the cyclone cant get to the car at the moment :facepalm:
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=11441
I have this kit.

the majority of the kit is good and fits well. I had gearbox mount issues (im using a getrag box) however it was an easy enough fix. Just modified the mount to suit.

Diff: im usign a shortened r31 diff, however you could get away with a scorp diff not sure how long it will last or the process to bolt to your model sigma.

Suspension/brakes:
I Have a GJ, and have apporached engineers (NSW & QLD) they don't seem to have any issues with it. (its already 4 wheel disc brakes)

Tunnel mods:
the getrag fits int he tunnel without modification, I'm not sure about the t5s or autos.

hope this helps
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
knk

Post by knk »

Hey mate thanks for the reply.

Ended up giving it a miss anyway. However if any of you guys are interested: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ballarat ... 1076018061

I offered him $600 and he was happy to take it. The doors have rust in the lower corners (internal). Rust on the cowl and rear windscreen down the botton. Bumper has been bogged at some stage and has a pretty bad diy spray job with a couple of runs.
Sigmoe

Post by Sigmoe »

all pretty straightforward, for the auto have to widen the tunnel a bit, with a hammer or cut and weld it, mine uses a 4l60e box and like everyone else i had problems with the crossmember too, but like brendon said its an easy fix, just modify the mount. I think the vn mount the v6conversions guys talk about would only work if you have the th700 box. Also you could use the commodore or the sigma t - bar, I used the sigma one and modified it to work (linkages are on opposite sides) My first diff was a standard drum diff that came in the car and that handled it fine, single pegging everywhere, but have since replaced with struts and disc brake diff out of a scorpion ( the earlier 8 bolt ones are a straight bolt in, if you use the 10 bolt out of a later scorpion you will have to cut the spring perches off the housing and possibly modify some of the mounts for control arms?)
earlier vn-vs radiator fits inbetween the rails with no dramas, just have to make mounts to hold the top.