Steering Question

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
hjubm2

Steering Question

Post by hjubm2 »

Hey,

I'm building up a GK Sigma to rally & are looking for some advice/ideas of what to do to fix the shocking steering. Have been told to shorten the steering arms but is that the best idea? Since the cars going to be raced the handling can't be effected & I've got a feeling that shortening the steering arms would have a bad effect.

What other options have been used or what is suggested?

Thanx
regor

Re: Steering Question

Post by regor »

hey man is it power steering or just a manual one rack...
rides.
green twin charged ge sigma (broken atm but making it better (week end car when runnig)) this is her http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3132262/1
black s13 silvia with rb20det (back up)
black slammed e36 turbo (will be my daily when it running)
blue s13 ls1 turbo (project car / track car)
but i would have to say my fav is my ge
hjubm2

Post by hjubm2 »

Power steering
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I was going to put power steer on the wagon until I drove a sedan with it on. :roll: PS is still in the shed
panda

Post by panda »

I've put power steering on my GJ rally car & would never go back. Steering box ratio is faster from lock to lock, no more jarring feedback of the steering wheel, & my arms don't ache after the event.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Well I guess I only drove the car for 200 metres :roll:
The steering was so quick compared to my manual steering that I was forever over correcting, just trying to go in a straight line :roll:

Went to turn left into my driveway and nearly finished up in the neighbours place. :oops:

I am used to my steering (the only car I have owned without PS in the last 20 years) and now that I have a decent set of Bridgestones on the wagon she steers and corners like she is on rails. Well almost :)
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

This should get people going :D

BRIDGESTONES :o

Had some crap tyres on the Sigma for 5 years. Wouldnt steer, wouldnt handle, wouldnt grip. Crappy tyres had all the right Speed /temp/treadwear ratings and looked pretty sporty with it directional tread. Took one to get a puncture fixed and found that the tread was delaminating.

So on went a set of Bridgestones. What a difference ;) And after 6 months they are still just as good. There are so many different brands of crappy tyres. Probably all coming in from China.

I will never buy "no name" tyres again.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Tyre choice... :lol: arh this always makes a good stir

Have seen some scary things also in regards to cheap tyres :? Thankfully not on my car :D
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I bought some shit tyres from JAX for my Subaru. One kept going flat so I took it back. They dropped in the water tank and found air bubbles coming out of the sidewall :o Crap. I had a set of Nankangs on my 1 Tonner. Would start to aquaplane 2 days before it started raining :roll: . Hopeless. :roll:

Now they are ALL on Bridgestones . Happy Days :D
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Sigmaproject wrote:I had a set of Nankangs on my 1 Tonner. Would start to aquaplane 2 days before it started raining :roll: . Hopeless. :roll:
Baffling as always... Heard a lot of mixed opinions on the Nankangs... yet to have the experience myself though lol.

Oh... & I'm getting a Vibe too ? something about you & Bridgestone :shock:
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Actually a mate has Nankangs on his 6 litre Monaro. Recons they are the best handling tyre he has ever had. :o

But he never drives it in the rain.

Funny , I wont get in his Monaro with him driving and he wont get in the Sigma with me driving. Mutual mistrust :lol:

Did I mention that I use Bridgestones :D