efi changes

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
84gksigmawa

efi changes

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Hey All haven't been on for a while just a big search user. I have just acquired a gn gl that has a bit better looking body than my gk and has all the plumbing for a/c so that's a big bonus to me . If anyone could clarify for me I was reading a thread that said avoid gn 5 speeds is this a weak box or just someone's opinion. Next off is it has the 2.6 with the raised rocker cover so 2nd gen does this mean (please) I can just throw a efi manifold on and wire it up? This would be ideal for me time wise and compression wise I think the gk has slightly lower compression from putting a n9 head on a astronomical 1 block with dished pistons runs ok but does seem a little gutless at times.
looks wise can I swap all the interiors over or will gk stuff not fit just in better Nick and colour. Finally the shrouds the tail lights bolt to is rusted through never seen one so bad any advice on breaking the tack welds to swap out with the gk cheers in advance guys.
Sigmaproject

Re: efi changes

Post by Sigmaproject »

The GN uses the same KM132 as GL/GK. So no issues there. And yes the Magna EFI manifolds bolt straight on..after you sort out the T/B and thermostat location.
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Hey mate cheers for that the plenum is already swapped an thermostat I just run from the back worked ok actually gonna take it off my other motor to put on the gn and save the other head for fingers crossed future turbo haha being km132 manual are they wide boxes?
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Could anyone tell me there best timing for efi? From memory mine was a fair few degrees before tdc with the swap I was thinking putting both motors on compression stroke on number one with rotor button pointing directly up then taking one dizzy out and sliding it straight into the other motor will this work or am I just wasteing time I will also be recording timing positions as well for reference haha cheers
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

http://rs44.pbsrc.com/albums/f22/ilostt ... 1414942312

Just trying to upload a pic at this stage this is the gn I just bought if the picture works :)
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Hey guys into a efi swap into a gj ss can anyone shed some light on wiring in the engine bay. What old carby wiring can be removed? I know the box to power the dizzy can but the old coil wires etc can they go? And the ballast resistor, can it all be chopped or will I lose power at ignition? Cheers
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

the dizy and coil will run off the magna ecu , the magna ecu how ever require some connections which you may be able to take advantage of in your engine bay ( dont chop anything, just unplug what ever youre not going to use and keep track of possible connection points you have on hand for your conversion to be successful.

theres a build thread here which will save you lots of time in regards to wiring- i sadly sat there probing and testing the hard way before firing up but eventually got there in the end. could have saved some time if this was around but have done a couple since now with no dramas :thumpsup:

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1487

let us know how you go, cheers
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Hey 84gksig thanks for that I previously had ego running on a astronomy 1 block with the magna head,worked ok but felt flat through the revs.

This motor is the gn motor with efi runs smooth but even slower than the low comp motor. I think the tps or cas is not working properly. Going to do some testing tomorrow to hopefully nut it out. Cheers
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

any work been done to your astron 2 motor ? what sort of exhaust are you running?
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

also what fuel
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

I run premium with a turbo fuel pump Run from the control relay. The exhaust has a apexi can on the rear standard centre muffler and pipe with extractors. Relatively sure the tps or dizzy at fault and isc motor isn't working either just got the multi meter out haha
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

the connectors are shitful, with the inevitable moisture theyre exposed to, the wire can corrode where its crimped into the pin inside the plug, then youre best bet is to find a plug in good nick, cut the old one off and solder the new one back on, ive had to with my tps plug, not uncommon for the dizzy plug to experience the same thing