Recommend an engine builder (brisbane area)

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
The Amateur

Recommend an engine builder (brisbane area)

Post by The Amateur »

Hey guys

I've got a 84 GK that I'm doing up a bit as I need a cheaper daily to get to uni/work.

It was a 2L 5 speed but thrashing it around the backyard the other night I managed to smash a hole through the block with pieces of piston and conrod everywhere.

So I've decided I'm going to do up a 2.6L motor I've got in the shed. I can do alot of the work myself but deciding which cam/pistons/head etc is beyond me so I'm going to enlist an engine builder to help me out.

Now my question for you guys is, do any of you know a good engine builder who knows sigma motors around the brisbane area? Any help is appreciated
DragonCypher

Re: Recommend an engine builder (brisbane area)

Post by DragonCypher »

Might I just add.. one who knows sigmas and does NOT charge 3 times more than average :P

I spoke to a local builder here and he said it was something like $2840 for the most basic rebuild with all stock parts.
I'm not sure what the going rate is exactly but it seemed a bit excessive considering there is no power or strength advantage over a sigma straight from the factory 30 years ago

Doing the work yourself is definitely the way to go, and I reckon some of the veterans around here would be just as helpful for what parts to combine with the build
Good luck with it anyhow

-
Chris
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

stealth

Post by stealth »

mate what do you want to know?
any clown can throw a engine together but can thay warranty there work?
as for around bris the only people i recommend would be
Jack Brothers at springwood
or noonan race engineering (way out of the price range but jamie knows his sh-t)Yatala
or kenny mac engines at capalaba
all of which build serious engines for big hp with reliablity
other option is what your time frame as i might have time to help you out
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
leoca

Post by leoca »

I can save you a little time as i've done up a low comp 2.6 bottom end recently, but am going with an import thing instead.Anyway Wynnum Engines did the work. PM me if interested in the details :!: and welcome by the way
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

stealth wrote: any clown can throw a engine together but can thay warranty there work?
its funny I dont trust anyone but myself to assemble my engines and the above quote
says it all

thats not only astron engines
to build an astron is fairly cheap I know that all the parts and machining for my race engine
come in under 2K
thats brand new billit cam - double valve springs - pistons - bore - balancing every thing
however if you charged out properly for the time to check and assemble that would be another 3.5 - 4 K in labour
does this sound a lot because I dont think it is as I know how much time to check every thing
DragonCypher wrote: I spoke to a local builder here and he said it was something like $2840 for the most basic rebuild with all stock parts.
I'm not sure what the going rate is exactly but it seemed a bit excessive
Chris
I dont find this out of the ball park on price
a good exersize for you price up all the parts needed ( std parts )
and see how much the guy has left for labour divide that by about 80 and see how
many hours he has left him self it wont be a lot
cheater
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The Amateur wrote:
It was a 2L 5 speed but thrashing it around the backyard the other night I managed to smash a hole through the block with pieces of piston and conrod everywhere.
Congratulations if you manage to have pieces of conrod everywhere. You are the first I have heard of that managed to break conrods. :roll:
The Amateur

Post by The Amateur »

cheaterparts wrote:
I dont find this out of the ball park on price
a good exersize for you price up all the parts needed ( std parts )
and see how much the guy has left for labour divide that by about 80 and see how
many hours he has left him self it wont be a lot

I'm more looking for advice as dad is a mechanic and we can bolt the motor together ourselves but neither of us knows which cam, springs etc and who/where to buy them from, where to get a block machined and the head done.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

The Amateur wrote: I'm more looking for advice as dad is a mechanic and we can bolt the motor together ourselves but neither of us knows which cam, springs etc and who/where to buy them from, where to get a block machined and the head done.
ok what do you wont from your engine std , mild or hot

that will help if you are after some advice on parts as far as machining goes you will need to
have local QLD guys point you in the right direction down sth in VIC I know my way around
some good machine shops .

the good thing with the astron you dont need any special tools to assemble it
a good torque wrench and some basic hand tools are it
cheater
stealth

Post by stealth »

hands down the best work available(to the public) here in QLD
we use to send all of our machine work to them before we started doing it
all in house (thats going back)
by the way all three places mentioned machine engine parts for V8 supercar,sprint car
top fuel and funny car series
and one of those operaters is currently looking into making twin cam BILLET heads
for the astrons ive said too much
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
The Amateur

Post by The Amateur »

cheaterparts wrote:
ok what do you wont from your engine std , mild or hot
I'm after a mild to hot build, I can't go turbo due to P laws but other than that there's not much that I can't do. An important thing is that the car is fairly reliable and I know that high performance and reliability don't go together so I can't go to crazy. I've gotten in touch with a few people in brisbane who work with sigma's in speedway racing but haven't gotten to far yet.
regor

Post by regor »

hey man the guy i only trust with buil my engines
was john at jhh peformance...
he down in woodridge... but he no's his mitubishi motors.. can do all mods and that type of stuff..he helped me do both of my conversions and everything...
also has built a couplpe of my friends motos in there tritons.. and they mor thanhapp wiht him..
he is a little picey...but i think its worth it...

regor
-roger-
rides.
green twin charged ge sigma (broken atm but making it better (week end car when runnig)) this is her http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3132262/1
black s13 silvia with rb20det (back up)
black slammed e36 turbo (will be my daily when it running)
blue s13 ls1 turbo (project car / track car)
but i would have to say my fav is my ge