Hello from the UK (1982 Mitsubishi Colt Galant)

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
Boomy

Hello from the UK (1982 Mitsubishi Colt Galant)

Post by Boomy »

Have just picked this old girl up rather than see her end up being smashed up at a banger racing track, left to rot or stripped for parts.It's a 2.0 GLX which was used by an old lady to deliver flowers in before it was found in her garage during a house clearance.

She has a bit of rust to sort and a few niggles such as the viscous fan being stuck on, but other than that, she's covered only 44k miles from new and everything still works!

It's going to be a bit of a long term project for me and there is already talk of dropping a Starion 2.0 turbo engine in it for a bit more grunt (apparently they can be dropped in quite easily)

As it has an MOT for several months and is now taxed, I gave it a good test this weekend and was quite suprised how nice it still was to drive.I think the carb will need a good clean and possibly the timing will need looking at as it did run on for a while when turned off lol.Was ok on the move though once warmed up a bit.It's currently missing its vinyl roof as it was peeling in places anyway, so we ripped it all off.

There's lots to do and think about, but on UK roads at least, there are hardly any of these still in use and some have suggested it's the last one!

I am glad there is a decent forum for such cars as I am sure spare parts will be a pig to find!
Narcotics

Re: Hello from the UK (1982 Mitsubishi Colt Galant)

Post by Narcotics »

Hi welcome to the site :)
Australia had it's own manufacturing plant so many used parts are available here but here the later model "galant" is called "sigma" with no "colt"
I also bought a wagon exactly 1 week ago but mine is a High Roof version which I'm sure you guys didn't get...

The most expensive car I've ever bought was a 1984 Mitsubishi... in 2014.
Boomy

Post by Boomy »

Cheers Narcotics.Have to say, I like that shape with the extended roof line!!

I have been trying to find the best place to order some parts from Aus.Any suggestions? I'm after various bits but want to start with the front ball joints/drop links etc
Narcotics

Post by Narcotics »

Well you could start by making a thread in the wanted section of the site.
The most expensive car I've ever bought was a 1984 Mitsubishi... in 2014.