GN sigma 5spd 165,000kms

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
SIGSTAR86

GN sigma 5spd 165,000kms

Post by SIGSTAR86 »

Looking at buying a Red GN manual sigma. Has 165,000kms. Is a two owner beast with grey interior, it looks mint inside. Paint is faded. Completely stock. Hasn't been run in a whole and has fuel issues. Will start with start ya bastard, but won't idle. Scott (superscan011) thinks it may be blocked fuel lines and carby. The pump is brand new as I suspected it was that so got a new one. Fuel isn't being pumped up from the tank. I haven't bought the car yet, but thought it was cheap for $1000 registered and being a late model GN, a great start to swap the magna injection over on it which I have. Atm I want to get the car running.

Anyone had this problem before, what suggestions do you have? How do I clean the fuel lines? How much would it cost me? Should I buy new ones?

Thanks guys
geezer101

Re: GN sigma 5spd 165,000kms

Post by geezer101 »

This could be as simple as swapping the fuel lines over. It's a really common and easy mistake to make when removing a carby or fuel pump to reinstall the fuel hoses incorrectly. If the fuel filter has fuel in it but you can't see any inside the fuel bowl window on the side of the carby that will be an indicator. Also look for signs of fuel weeping on the hoses (not likely to be the issue but should be checked anyway). New hoses will set you back beans so if you're going to pull it to bits, replace them. The primary circuit jet could be blocked. If you think it could be the problem try this out - with the air filter off and the engine running cup your hand over the top of the carby throat and starve it of air (you may need a buddy to keep the engine rpm up while doing this). The jump in vacuum might be enough to purge out any junk in the jets. Also check the accelerator enrichment jet to see if it's working. This is done the easiest when the engine has warmed up so the choke butterfly is out of the way (no need for the engine to be running, just look down the throat and twist the throttle linkage - you should see a squirt of fuel in one corner of the primary throat). Good luck :thumpsup:
Travelsig

Post by Travelsig »

Also you can buy a very handy 12 volt electric fuel pump from most auto stores. (East Coast Spares here in Melbourne, mine.)
Locate the pipe from the tank - or take a hose from the filter if it is not blocked, before it if you suspect that it is blocked - and run the output of the elect pump straight into the carby input. Very handy 'trick'. Lengths of hose are always handy, slightly different diameters for joining. Good luck.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I had a catastrophic fuel line block in my wagon straight after I did the drivetrain swap. Turned out it had a huge layer of silt on the bottom of the tank and the sudden jump in hp disturbed it, causing the entire fuel line from the tank forwards to block completely (killing my first test drive and forcing me to push it 2 streets but it could've been worse..) I had to drain the tank and dump the fuel, drop the tank out from under the cargo area, flush it out, disconnect all the fuel hoses and use compressed air to purge the silt back to the pick up end of the lines. After that I then had to flush the lines with fuel until I thought it was clean enough to reassemble. Not fun :@ There's meant to be a small gauze filter on the pick up tube in the tank (AFAIK) but they don't last forever and are only designed to stop larger bits of debris from entering the fuel line.