solex to 600 holley

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
jiff

solex to 600 holley

Post by jiff »

Can i go from the standard 2 barrel solex to a 600 holley and how? Just an adaptor? Its a 2.0l
mitsushed

Re: solex to 600 holley

Post by mitsushed »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Your stock two barrel would be lucky to push 180cfm :o I don't think putting a 600cfm carby will do you any justice... You'll spend more time putting out engine fires and filling up with fuel than running the thing :think:

Have a look at some of the other carby swaps on the site... Mostly downdraft webers are used.
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

If you want a Holley, go a 190 bug sqirter. A 600 is for V8 or worked 6...

Otherwise, like suggested, webbers....
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

mitsushed wrote::o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Your stock two barrel would be lucky to push 180cfm :o I don't think putting a 600cfm carby will do you any justice... You'll spend more time putting out engine fires and filling up with fuel than running the thing :think:

Have a look at some of the other carby swaps on the site... Mostly downdraft webers are used.
The factory Mikuni Solex would be closer to 170 cfm - if it was 180ish, it would've made it a good performer. A big Holley like the 600 would be a nightmare to tune on a 2 litre and would take a really silly adapter or modded inlet manifold for it to bolt up. There's a good chance your original carby is waaaay overdue for a rebuild - a good clean out and a fresh kit put through it will make a world of difference. :thumpsup:
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

thats enough carb for 5.7 litres, they dont even use them on small v8s unless they are tricked up

theres a bloke selling a webber from a falcon in the for sale section, already set up for the sigma, i would be jumping on that, price is right!
jiff

Post by jiff »

Sorry guys more info was probably needed. Race cam and turbo
mitsushed

Post by mitsushed »

Only thing I can think of is a funnel style adapter and that will sit your carby high...
To make it work you would cut as much material out of the manifold surely? Widen up the runners etc...
Just an idea... You'd probably have to cut a hole in the hood of your car to make this work
jiff

Post by jiff »

Thats not too much of an issue. But sounds like too much work lol
mitsushed

Post by mitsushed »

Idk how you could make it work otherwise because if you cut it directly into the manifold where the carby should sit it would bias to different runners depending on the way it sits...
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

The HP are you wanting out of this engine will best decide what carb you can use, along with what rpm you are wanting to make the HP at.

There are a lot of 4 barrel Holley carbs well below 600cfm that will better suit your application.

A 600cfm carb will give you shit idle, crap midrange, and at best, average top end.
A 600cfm Holley would work well on a 2.6L at 13,000 rpm BTW..... (IF ONLY.)

A 350cfm Holley is good for a 2.6L at 7600rpm. Crap for even a mildly worked engine at low and mid rpm ranges.

EASY CALCULATIONS

.0459 * MAX RPM = cfm CARB REQUIRED.

Cheers.
mitsushed

Post by mitsushed »

Superscan, is that calculation assuming no losses?
A while back I did a rough calculation assuming no losses for a 2.6, at 4500rpm it would only require 55cfm or something like that was pretty small.
mitsushed

Post by mitsushed »

Superscan, using your formula 4500 comes out as around 207cfm
Must've made a mistake somewhere haha
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

mitsushed wrote:Superscan, using your formula 4500 comes out as around 207cfm
Must've made a mistake somewhere haha
Nope, that would be a good flow rate for a worked 2.6 Astron. When you start fitting silly big carbies onto an engine that can't support its flow rate you get the aforementioned issues superscan pointed out - crap idle, gutless mid range and something that resembles top end. Turbo charging changes the game a fair bit but you still don't want it to drown in fuel (a carby that is able to boost reference will be your friend in helping to get the show going the right way). The Holley 350 will work on a blow through turbo set up, and had already been done successfully on a 2.6 by a member here - go check this out http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 183#p81653 :thumpsup:
jiff

Post by jiff »

Thanks guys all this feedback is awesome, really appreciated. So if i used a smaller holley is the fitting to a standard manifold simple or is the another manifold
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

If you view GSRSYNDRONES build thread you'll see that he has used a bolt on adapter plate onto the stock manifold. He's also taken the time to remove metal from both the adapter and manifold, derestricting air flow from the carby. If you want to skip the grief of getting a blow through set up to work on your 4G52, GH sigma turbo gear will bolt straight on to your engine. The CD Stromberg side draft carby used on the GH turbo does a brilliant job and can support waaay more boost than you'll ever need to get it flying. (H)
A112H

Post by A112H »

E . F . I ., just sayin'
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

jiff wrote:Thanks guys all this feedback is awesome, really appreciated. So if i used a smaller holley is the fitting to a standard manifold simple or is the another manifold
have you got a lot of paper work at home as I think the best thing you could do with a Holley is use it for a paper weight

if you are going to turbo use EFI with an after market ECU - you will have much greater control over fuel and spark

and if going NA use twin webers - 4 MC carbs or quad TBs
jiff wrote:Sorry guys more info was probably needed. Race cam and turbo
quad runners will work much better with a large cam NA

if using a turbo you dont need a monster cam
cheater
davenq

Post by davenq »

Cool ,thread ,..I am looking at a 390 4bbl holley (I like old school) ....they are fairly tiny ,...and may be too big for my plans ...will investigate a bit more......
Growing old is inevitable
Growing up is optional
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

i have a 32/36 weber to holley 4bbl adapter plate if you need it