Cd 175 rebuild problems

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
Chryslrsgma78

Cd 175 rebuild problems

Post by Chryslrsgma78 »

Hey guys,

I have just purchased a cd 175 carby of a sigma turbo but it needs a rebuild .
I've rang around such as repco, sprints etc. but they have never herd of them and only have the mikini solex carby rebuild kits. Does anyone know where I could get a kit ?

Cheers :)
geezer101

Re: Cd 175 rebuild problems

Post by geezer101 »

The CD Stromberg is a tricky carby to rebuild. Lots of metal to metal moving parts that are usually scored up (the choke aperture, the slide piston and the butterfly shaft being the main ones to look for). Fortunately as Superscan has indicated, they are a common carby that was widely used on mainly English built cars like Rovers, Jags etc. so most components can be replaced. The Sigma turbo carby has a bigger main jet and a few different ancillary parts.
Chryslrsgma78

Post by Chryslrsgma78 »

I have checked eBay but I noticed that mine says 175 cd-2, I was wondering if some of the kits on eBay were for different models as such ?
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

They really are a simple carby to work on. But not so easy to get running perfectly. Provided there is no freeplay in the throttle shaft, everything else can be replaced by anyone that is a bit handy.
Getting one that was original equipment on a Sigma Turbo is half the battle as far as needle ,linkages and things like bypass valves are concerned. Once you have theses components you can use them on almost any CD175
Here is ALL of the info you will EVER NEED to rebuild your CD175 http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technica ... CarbsI.htm
Last edited by Sigmaproject on Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chryslrsgma78

Post by Chryslrsgma78 »

Cheers for all your help guys :) that link will help heaps.
And I have purchased a kit on eBay :)
Chryslrsgma78

Post by Chryslrsgma78 »

Hey guys,
I've pulled the carby down and had a look, and want to replace the butterfly and rod just for good measures, but couldn't find one anyone know where I could. ?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

You shouldn't need to replace either the shaft or the butterfly unless they are physically butchered. I rebuilt one a while back and during the process, I took it into a carby workshop to have the body machined out and nylon bushes fitted into it for the butterfly shaft. When they wear out in this location, air bypasses around the shaft from outside of the carby body and causes issues like running lean. it is unfortunately necessary to do this if you want the carby to run properly.