1.6 saturn fuel line orientation

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
sigmatt

1.6 saturn fuel line orientation

Post by sigmatt »

Howdy,my brother has just replaced the perished fuel lines between the fuel pump and the carby on his ge sigma running a 1.6 saturn motor.For some reason the motor will no longer start.I have not actually looked at the motor yet (10am tomorrow.) and am not at all familiar with sigmas.He said there are 4 hoses between pump and carby but is not sure he has connected them to the right points.I can imagine that one hose would go from the pump to fuel bowl,one possibly from fuel bowl (vent) to charcoal cannister, a fuel return line from bowl to tank maybe but the fourth has me stumped...not having seen the plumbing.I haven't even factored in vacuum hoses..i am thinking that when replacing the lines they would have been drained of fuel,does the ge have an electric fuel pump? Just trying to get a "heads up" for tomorrow,thanks in advance for any replies.Cheers,Mark.
geezer101

Re: 1.6 saturn fuel line orientation

Post by geezer101 »

Hi sigmatt, welcome to S-G. First thing to figure out - is the carby getting fuel? There's a small round glass window on the fuel bowl side of the carby - there should be fuel visible. If not, check to see what fuel hose is going into the fuel pump (Sigmas all run mechanical fuel pumps). Also, check to see if the fuel cut solenoid is hooked up/working (the cylinder with a single wire attached to it - looks a bit like a 'C' size battery). Depending on what pump is on it there should be markings indicating fuel in and out. If swapping the fuel lines in gets the engine started but its not running for long, the hoses going to the fuel bowl (the main hose going into the carby above the fuel level window) and the accelerator pump (small square cover on the side of the carby with 2 hose inlets) are mixed up. Swap these with each other and it should get it running continuously. If my breakdown of procedure seems hard to figure out, use the search function on the page header http://www.sigma-galant.com/search.php Good luck! :thumpsup:
sigmatt

Re: 1.6 saturn fuel line orientation

Post by sigmatt »

Cheers,geezer101, the fourth hose my bro was talking about may well be the one on the accelerator pump.I'll have to check it out when i go down there tomorrow.A mechanical fuel pump makes me think that fuel hasn't actually filled the lines.(don't know how long he's been turning it over) and yeah i'll definately check the cut off solenoid now i know it has one.Thank you for your quick reply,you have certainly given me a bit more of an idea of where to start.Cheers,Mark. :thumpsup: