10 years on, and still going strong

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
Sigmaproject

10 years on, and still going strong

Post by Sigmaproject »

Pretty impressed with the old wagon. Despite being on 15lb boost for most of the last 10 years, it has come through with no mechanical failures whatsoever. Box and diff are as quiet as a mouse. I swapped to a roller cam a while back . Ditched the boost control, so I am back to a sane 9lb of boost. But all good things must come to an end, so I am planning on removing the turbo gear ,and just reverting to NA Magna injection. I am currently getting prices for manifolds and stuff.

Last edited by Sigmaproject on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sigmaproject

Re: 10 years on, and still going strong

Post by Sigmaproject »

Basicly because the guy that has done my yearly roadworthy inspections for the last 10 years is calling it quits. So after the next rego (January 2014) I have to find a new inspection station. So in NSW you can do a "self engineered" engine swap, if the engine was a factory option, or on a different model of the same vehicle,from the same year model. So if the wagon was a GH, there would be no issues. So the intention was that if I ever got pulled over and told to lift the hood (American term, sorry) I would try and bluff my way through with the "self engineered" B/S. I guess I will probably hang off until the day happens that I get defected and have to get it engineered. At that point it would be impossible to pass the ADR's from 1985, with the current setup.
Got a quote from RPW for a converted EFI manifold, complete with injectors, sensors, Haltech Sprint 500 ECU, EFI Distributor, wiring harness and freight for around $3000.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I have been a member of this site for almost 2 hours longer than you .haha

Actually looking forward to the challenge. Looks like I will be getting some Magna gear from a forum member. Half the fun is doing it yourself (so I have been told). I have the current turbo setup running perfectly. Runs as smoothly and goes nearly as hard as my XT Forester. But being manual, the Sigma is heaps more fun to drive.

By the way RPW's kit price has come down to $2500. Lot of money , but they do great manifold conversions
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

convert it to LPG? no emissions concerns then if those are the ADRs that worry you. Or a wimpy e85 tune to get it legal
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

It is more ADR27C issue than emissions. LPG would get around those issues, but tank placement in a wagon is a problem. Either way there was never a turbo model of a GN Sigma, so it would still have to be engineered.