Radiator options

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
pigdog85

Radiator options

Post by pigdog85 »

hey guys, its been awhile since ive posted. the gj project is coming along great(wouldn't notice much by looking at it) but i have the reco 2.6l and reco jap 5 speed in and running great. started tidying up all the wiring the old man before me decided was needed :/ i have a box of wires that he ran for lights and horns and god knows what else ,so its looking alot nicer :) my question today is. radiator options. mines almost rooted and its time for a new one. now i seem to spend alot of time at the wreckers these days looking for bits and pieces and have noticed alot of different radiators that could be made to fit. just wondering if anyone else has upgraded to a radiator out of a different model car. ill only be running the stock 2.6l and 34adm Weber carb so aren't going to be needing anything too special and dont want to go buy a new or reco one. and all the sigmas i find have worse radiators then mine. i found a colt with a Saturn motor and the radiator looks identical but was thinking maybe a newer model small car . any input would be great as that's the next thing to be done. ... also have a few surprises that ill be doing i think you guys will enjoy , but you'll just have to wait till its done to find out :P if all goes to plan the car should be done and on the road no later than july next year but aiming for earlier in the year :)
lance

Re: Radiator options

Post by lance »

Try looking at Aluminium radiators on EBay . Don't think you will find one that says suit Sigma but there is a lot with measurements supplied.
Should find one that will with a bit of a fiddle make fit.
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

2nd that - s14 rad in the GH and GK. Use the same lower hose and I think it was a cut down Magna top hose.

And cheaper than a reco these days....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silvia-S14-S ... 3a79465387
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Mans thats cheap. I paid more than that for a reco a decade ago.

On the upside, for general use the stock radiator is more than sufficient, and bolts straight in. :thumpsup:
BAC013

Post by BAC013 »

PWR also do radiators for Sigma's.
pigdog85

Post by pigdog85 »

turbosigma wrote:2nd that - s14 rad in the GH and GK. Use the same lower hose and I think it was a cut down Magna top hose.

And cheaper than a reco these days....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silvia-S14-S ... 3a79465387
thanks mate, checked it out and its a perfect fit, its on its way here by courier as we speak, much better option over a reco, the price is about half and its nice and shiny (H)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

So you guys have actually used this radiator? I'm in the market and the one in the link is a killer price, so I could do with confirmation before the offer closes. :thumpsup:
pigdog85

Post by pigdog85 »

i got mine delivered today, been out playing all arvo :D little bit of fiddling around but a perfect fit, good looking radiator , just need to make yourself some mounts, i used 2 for the top i found at the wreckers out of a kia of some sort, chopped them down added a smaller grommet and bolted it up. tomorrows job, the bottom mounts .. but a pretty straight forward swap .
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Awesome! Don't forget to throw up some pics once you got it sorted :thumpsup:
pigdog85

Post by pigdog85 »

Ok all is done, mounted up quite nice :) heres a few pics .

zzyzxz32

Post by zzyzxz32 »

Looks good man!
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Yep, looks super tidy dude! :thumpsup: You didn't go for an electric thermo fan? This would top it off IMO...
pigdog85

Post by pigdog85 »

Going to be putting an electric thermo fan on, really dont think ill need it, but ill have a switch in the car that runs it for when im giving it that little extra :D
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I have an electric fan as a backup. It works from a thermo switch in the thermostat housing. I cannot remember what this housing is off origonally.