jap 5 speed wide block into gh siggy

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
Paddles

jap 5 speed wide block into gh siggy

Post by Paddles »

hey im dropping a 2.6 injected turbo wide block motor into my new turbo siggy, im running a jap 5 speed wide block behind it, i have been told that i need to shorten the wide block gear box up to put the shifter in original hole. do i just use the rear part of a gear box of a 2.0 litre jap 5 speed? i assuming i just undo the bolts in the middle of a jap 5 speed and swap them over??

paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
A112H

Re: jap 5 speed wide block into gh siggy

Post by A112H »

No, GB_BB4C knows how to do it :P
Last edited by A112H on Sat May 18, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Paddles wrote:hey im dropping a 2.6 injected turbo wide block motor into my new turbo siggy, im running a jap 5 speed wide block behind it, i have been told that i need to shorten the wide block gear box up to put the shifter in original hole. do i just use the rear part of a gear box of a 2.0 litre jap 5 speed? i assuming i just undo the bolts in the middle of a jap 5 speed and swap them over??

paddles

NO!.
wide block and narrow block extension housings are different in the output shaft diameter.
what you need to do is change the shifter linkages (whole shaft, not just bits) between the two extension housings. this is a pain in the ass job (roll pin comes out easily enough, but solid pin is a pain in the ass) to do but can be done.
you need to pull apart the rear extension housing, all nuts, bolts, speedo gear, centring pin, reverse switch etc.. be careful there are ball bearings and springs that may pop out.

the two holes on the right of the shaft are in different positions. this shows the selecting shafts that need to be switched between the two.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Paddles

Post by Paddles »

Thank you for the reply. I will have a look over the weekend.
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.