gk brake upgrade

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
v8lancer

gk brake upgrade

Post by v8lancer »

Hi all
I have recently purchased a gk sigma it has a set of turbo wheels on it and has factory turbo set up in it. Can anyone give me some advice on what big brake set up to run on the car? I'm also looking for front and rear gsr spoilers if anyone can help.
Cheers
geezer101

Re: gk brake upgrade

Post by geezer101 »

You won't be able to go big with a brake set up with the factory Sigma turbo wheels, but the other option is upgrading to Starion vented discs and calipers. This subject has been covered on S-G, use the search function to give you the run down on how to do it- http://www.sigma-galant.com/search.php :thumpsup:
natosig

Post by natosig »

Im running standard vented front rotors and heavey duty pads from an early holden stops really well any brake shop will be able to put vents in the rotors
84 gk sigma
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

hoppers stoppers in Vic do a brake upgrade for these cars (they retail at about $1500 or so)

But to be honest, your best just running slotted rotors, sports pads, steel braided lines and hi-temp fluid.....the car will stop better than ever.....and far cheaper than any conversion
Built with pride, Driven in anger
v8lancer

Post by v8lancer »

Hi all
Thanks for the info. The car stops ok now but I will be putting a 318 into the car towards the end of the year and is like to sort all the brakes out now. The turbo wheels will be coming off and I will be running 15x7 & 8 Simmons. The car at the moment runs on about 15psi and after a few good brake applications they get a bit too hot for my liking.
Cheers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

...yeah, you need decent brakes :| As scorpma suggested, braided s/steel and teflon braided brake hoses and metal composite pads will be a big help.The installation of the 318 engine will need you to beef up the front suspension too, the added weight will load up the front end and steering. Maybe GSR or Starion struts and springs.
v8lancer

Post by v8lancer »

Hi all
Spoke to the guys at Hoppers Stoppers got info on 330mm brake upgrade. I was told that go and up the master cylinder has to be upgraded to an xe 1" master cylinder however ge-gh the booster is fine. Cani swap the master cylinder and booster between these models? Again info is much appreciated.
Turbo047

Post by Turbo047 »

You can do an upgrade to large brakes, as I have to VT callipers and rotors that fit into Turbo wheels. Using the 7/8" Master cylinder from the GH is no good for the VT twin piston callipers. I tried it with the standard Master cylinder but the peddle went to the floor and the rear locked before the fronts were fully on. That's a little on the dangerous side. The following is how I did it.

Remade Calliper mounting plate. I had to offset the Callipers up 30deg from the horizontal.

Modified Sigma hub in place

VT Rotor fitted with centre alloy hub adaptor

Calliper bolted up and centred

Wheel and calliper clearance with Turbo rim. (plenty of room)

I went for the VT Master so this is the modified Booster and the adaptor

VT Master all fitted up.

Works really well and is not hard to do. Give it a go.

"Just remember, if you aren't forced induced, then you aren't SH#T"
GH Sigma Turbo no. 047

Leyland P76 V8 (next for resto)
Jaguar XJ8 Sport (british racing green of course)
Land Rover Discovery II V8 (the daily drive)
v8lancer

Post by v8lancer »

Cheers food for thought??? Did you make the adapter for the booster or was it an over the counter item?
Turbo047

Post by Turbo047 »

The Booster conversion was done by a place up here in Cairns called Knights Brake Service. It was an over the counter mod. The front housing of the booster needed to be modified with wider bolt spacing, the VT adaptor and an extended actuator rod. Cost $200. I was told that its the same mod they do to the XU-1 Toranas.
"Just remember, if you aren't forced induced, then you aren't SH#T"
GH Sigma Turbo no. 047

Leyland P76 V8 (next for resto)
Jaguar XJ8 Sport (british racing green of course)
Land Rover Discovery II V8 (the daily drive)
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Part number P10050 (PBR Part number) is the one that Hoppers Stoppers are referring to.......it will bolt onto the booster without mods BUT the threads in master cylinder are imperial whereas the steel lines are on the Mitsubishi are metric.....from memory, Cebco brakes in melbourne can help you out with the adaptors (I used to work at PBR, hence why I know all the info lol)
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Also, I wouldn't fit the B/M/Cyl onto the car before the bigger brakes are fitted as the braking bias will be way out of balance (i.e, relying too much on the front brakes) and the performance will drop dramatically
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

I have falcon discs/holden calipers on my V8 Sigma
conversion consists of
std sigma GH struts (not green)

pair of XA falcon discs/ hubs

pair of Holden wb calipers, though swapping to VT commo would be easy

Castlemain rod shop disc conversion kit to suit a TE cortina

HQ holden wheel bearings

pair of custom brake hoses