carbies

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
crystalmeths

carbies

Post by crystalmeths »

Hi all just wanting to know which is the better set up in carbies , weber , holley , twin mikunies , for performance more than economy thanks for any help regards Chris
75glnt

Re: carbies

Post by 75glnt »

As far as I know. A weber is a good performance carb. Those dcoe carbs.
N/A ALL THE WAY
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

That efi mani ya have would be another option.

Go grab a efi Magna loom/computer from pick-a-part. Done....
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Define 'better'? Weber DCOE side draughts are a good carby for top end power, but not great for street use and are not light on fuel (and in pairs can be pigs to tune, and aren't cheap...). The Weber 34 ADM down draught will flow better than a stock Mikuni carby and won't sacrifice drivability or economy too much but has to be tuned to run on your engine (ideal for a 2.6 astron). A 2 barrel Holley - nobody talks about these so no idea. The stock Mikuni carby isn't a bad bit of kit but needs to be lightly tweaked to get gains in midrange and smooth out idle (this depends on what type of Mikuni - older ones are easier to mod). Then you can also go down the path of quad carbies (look up Superscan's work on the site to get an idea of what's involved). They can deliver great performance and fuel economy gains but are not a simple bolt on option. It comes down to how much you're willing to invest versus what you are trying to achieve. If you're handy with a spanner and can pull down a carby (without having anything left over) you've got options. :thumpsup:
Last edited by geezer101 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

What sort of engine are you running ? If it's basically stock, then twin sidedraughts are a waste of time ... you need the headwork & cam to take advantage of them, or all you will do is use more fuel. They are not a "bolt-on performance upgrade".

For a street engine, probably a single downdraught Weber or similar would be the go, as geezer suggests, unless you go the EFI route.
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

turbosigma wrote:That efi mani ya have would be another option.

Go grab a efi Magna loom/computer from pick-a-part. Done....
Steve they went missing five seconds after i got it home mate
natosig

Post by natosig »

Im running a single 45 mm side draught delorto it not bad for street use still stock engine so much better than stok carb to make the most out of the carb a cam upgrade would be good
84 gk sigma
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

davetrees wrote:What sort of engine are you running ? If it's basically stock, then twin sidedraughts are a waste of time ... you need the headwork & cam to take advantage of them, or all you will do is use more fuel. They are not a "bolt-on performance upgrade".

For a street engine, probably a single downdraught Weber or similar would be the go, as geezer suggests, unless you go the EFI route.
i am running a 2.0 litre with oversized pistons , crow cam stage two , and balance shafts removed
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Regarding carbs, I'm pretty sure the 180 Holley is just a Weber.
Yes, a correctly jetted and tuned down draught weber will increase performance over a stock mukini (not a lot, but it will happen).
Modifying to Fuel injection would (or should) increase gains, but the quad motorbike carbs correctly jetted sound horny as hell, and perform better and more effieciently then twin sidedraught webers in all parts of the rev range. Superscan811 has also proved they run cleaner then EFI as well, so they should pass emissions testing with no problems. And yes I have put my money where my mouth is, I just need to get a car sorted to put them in, and finish making that damn intake manifold (so many things I have on the go, and not enough time to do them).
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

I'm pretty sure the 180 Holley is just a Weber
Yep, it's basically the same carb as a Weber 32/36 DFV. A much better, more easily tunable carb than the stock Mikuni but performance gain on a 2L would probably be marginal at best (seeing the 32/36 originally came off a 2L Ford motor anyway).

Something worth considering in simple(ish) downdraught carb conversions could be a Weber 38 DGS (bigger bores, synchronous opening of both barrels) ... fits same baseplate as the 32/36 or Holley. You would still have to spend some tuning time getting the jetting etc right though.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

the last model Magna to run carbs is essentially a bigger version of the sigma mikuni...they run bigger venturies and jets from factory...so they bolt on the same way as factory

(best way to picture these two carbs is comparing a 450Holley and 600Holley)
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Scorpma82 wrote:the last model Magna to run carbs is essentially a bigger version of the sigma mikuni...they run bigger venturies and jets from factory...so they bolt on the same way as factory
Do these have the integrated EGR 'bullet' that goes into the manifold? It's actuated off a linkage on the carby and opens the the exhaust gas gallery into the plenum in the manifold base. If that's the case the only way you can use this carby is with the whole manifold - then you're left dealing with the thermostat housing being at the wrong end of the head.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

to be honest, i can't remember,

All i remember when being shown the two carbies was that they looked identical...was some tme ago when i saw the comparison
Built with pride, Driven in anger
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

geezer101 wrote:
Scorpma82 wrote:the last model Magna to run carbs is essentially a bigger version of the sigma mikuni...they run bigger venturies and jets from factory...so they bolt on the same way as factory
Do these have the integrated EGR 'bullet' that goes into the manifold? It's actuated off a linkage on the carby and opens the the exhaust gas gallery into the plenum in the manifold base. If that's the case the only way you can use this carby is with the whole manifold - then you're left dealing with the thermostat housing being at the wrong end of the head.
These also came out on the GN Sigmas, so just use the Sigma manifold :)
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989