from NA carby to EFI... how???

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
UN57BL

from NA carby to EFI... how???

Post by UN57BL »

hey guys, a friend of mine who i lost contact with converted his 2.6 astron from carby to EFI. and it ripped shit up. im looking at doing the same conversion... what materials/parts would be needed? and as for power? is the gain worth it?

dom
S1GMARE

Re: from NA carby to EFI... how???

Post by S1GMARE »

You will need to get all the efi stuff of a magna 2.6
Cylinder head, Inlet manifold, injectors, dizzy and if you plan on using factory ecu, the afm.
Fit an electric fuel pump.
Done.
It isn't worth it if your keeping it N/A.
Don't expect much change from $1000 after you buy the parts, reco the head and auto elec wires up the ecu.
UN57BL

Post by UN57BL »

will i notice the power diffrence or not so much?
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

yes u will notice a difference better fuel economy easier cold starts and more responsive while ur at it u should buy a balance shaft elimination kit off ebey there $39 will improve your mid to high range power quite a bit.
Drive It Like You Stole It

The Drifter = 99 VS Ute (Kaaz 2 way LSD + 3.8 v6 on boost :lol:)
The Old Drifter = 99 S15 Spec-R (GONE :()
The Project = 80 GH Scorp (shes getting there)
The Fourby = 92 4Runner (can climb yo mumma)
The Daily = 95 Camry (the gf gotta have a car too)
The Shitter = 89 Hiace (with ever panel customised)
The Untamed = 98 cbr 600 (nearly killed me twice but i still love her)
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

S1GMARE wrote: It isn't worth it if your keeping it N/A.
Don't expect much change from $1000 after you buy the parts, reco the head and auto elec wires up the ecu.
I disagree.

While it would cost $1000 to pay someone else to do it, if you can do it yourself, it should cost less than $700.

If you get a good M6/M7 head, and have a mate with a TIG, it could cost less than $350-
Give yourself a weekend to do it properly and save a bundle.

OTHERWISE

$220- for the head, inlet/exhaust manifold, computer, dizzy, wiring harness and all the plumbing (MAF/knock sensor/airbox/tubing/etc..) from a TS Magna.
$200- to reco the head.
$200- for the manifold modification.
$60 for a magna VRS gasket set.
I was quoted $400 to wire up my EMS ecu from scratch.
UN57BL wrote:will i notice the power difference or not so much?
There should be roughly a 15% increase in power AND better fuel economy.

Cheers.
tubby

Post by tubby »

Go to the old site, there is a 14 page thread on this very thing.
NOW my questions, with the ecu do you need to connect it to all your electrical gear or do you run power to your ecu and fuel pump and it just manages the engine. do I need to connect it to stuff like the air conditioner. I really dont like messing with things that work.
tubz
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

tubby wrote:NOW my questions, with the ecu do you need to connect it to all your electrical gear or do you run power to your ecu and fuel pump and it just manages the engine. do I need to connect it to stuff like the air conditioner. I really dont like messing with things that work.
tubz
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im sorry but that was to funny you dont need to connect your aftermarket ecu to your aircon it will only take care off the engine e.g. fuel & spark you can howeveer connect it to a external display (if its capable off that) meaning you could replace your dash with a aftermarket lcd setup. Or a data logger all depends on wat ecu your using?

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

With a MegaSquirt II with V3 board, you could use it to control just about anything, you just need the electrical know how.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

SpEc_OpS wrote:..... you dont need to connect your aftermarket ecu to your aircon it will only take care off the engine e.g. fuel & spark ....
Actually SpEC_OpS some ECU's do connect, in a way, to the A/C and Power Steering. It is merely a digital signal (ie:ON or OFF) so the ECU can adjust up the idle speed if the A/C and/or Power Steering pumps are working.
Some ECU's may also be programmed to "DISABLE" the A/C when you're at Wide Open Throttle, (usually indicative of an overtaking maneuver) so you get the maximum power when you need it.

Cheers.
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Sorry i stand corrected i actually already half knew that but i didnt think it would be a standard feature didnt know it de activated ac at full throttle thats pretty cool. The likelyhood of tubby having a ecu that does this not so great i rekon neways who quoted you $400 your in parramatta arent you im in greystanes. Ive got a ems stinger 4 sitting here if its going to be that cheap to get it fitted i might aswell do my turbo conversion now that was the only thing stopping me i got quoted 2200 from hi comp performance.

Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

SpEc_OpS wrote:... who quoted you $400 your in parramatta arent you im in greystanes. Ive got a ems stinger 4 sitting here if its going to be that cheap to get it fitted i might aswell do my turbo conversion now that was the only thing stopping me i got quoted 2200 from hi comp performance.
Yep, Parramatta area.
I was quoted a total of $900-$1000 ($400 wiring, $500 tuning and dyno). This was for a N/A engine so I don't know how much extra work is involved for the Turbo setup.

I just went through the EMS dealers, gave them my engine specs and asked each for a quote.

The things to ask them are:

1. Do they have any hardware preferences, ie:Injectors, Fuel Pressure Regulators, Ignighters, etc...?
This can indicate a few things.
A) They have had a bad experience with some gear. (Good to know, and they will let you know all about it.)
B) The engine tuner only know how to work with certain hardware. (Not good if you dont have what they want.)

2. Have they tuned an engine the same or similar to yours?
In theory this shouldn't make much difference but it's good to know. That way, they should know how to avoid a few of your engine "QUERKS".

3. How long it will take to complete?

4. How soon can they start?

5. What do they GUARANTEE.
Most likely it will be "ALL CARE, NO RESPONSIBILITY"

6. What "EXTRAS" can you expect on the bill if they do it all?
ie: Injector connectors, labour for physically mounting the ECU, tubing for the MAP Sensor, etc...
They can get quite creative sometimes so it's better to try and "nail it down" BEFORE they start.

Cheers.
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Thnx for that superscan that info will definately come in handy

tubby

Post by tubby »

Actually SpEC_OpS some ECU's do connect, in a way, to the A/C and Power Steering. It is merely a digital signal (ie:ON or OFF) so the ECU can adjust up the idle speed if the A/C and/or Power Steering pumps are working.
Some ECU's may also be programmed to "DISABLE" the A/C when you're at Wide Open Throttle, (usually indicative of an overtaking maneuver) so you get the maximum power when you need it.
thanks, I knew it wasnt a complete idiot....there are other novices here like me that might like to know. so in short you chuck your vaccum operated idle speed adjuster in return for an electrical one. in short power goes to the ecu ecu is wired to all the sensors and distributor. once you have the ecu installed how are you guys reading the ecu diagnostic, is there a paperclip test or do you have dagnostic tools? I sold the last fuel injected car for scrap because of too many electrical issues. which is why I went back to carby.
thanks tubz
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan