VR4 engine into Sigma

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
astron_on_boost

VR4 engine into Sigma

Post by astron_on_boost »

I tried a search but didnt find anything :cry:
How hard is this conversion? i know the box bolts up to a 2ltr manual (or at least i think it does). I would like to know exactly whats involved as i am at the point where i bolt a turbo on the 2.6 which i have a turbo,manifold,modified magna inlet etc or to put a VR4 motor in (which i prefer as these are my all time fav engines)
Any input or information would be great...
Cheers
tandanus

Re: VR4 engine into Sigma

Post by tandanus »

Easy conversion that I hear about but dont see often - maybe because the 2.6 is even easier, and if you go EFI its then a short step to boost the 2.6. Just have to deal with the EFI (need return lines to the tank and a lift pump (?)), the computer side of it and maybe sectioning the inlet manifold so it will fit under the bonnet. Also dealing with the rear water line.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

First post - :D

SOHC 4g63 engine mounts.

Swap the TB.

http://www.jayracing.com/

Get the Alternator Relocation and Front Water Outlet Kit - makes things easy - or mod the thermostat housing at the back of the head. ( I'm doing both ) - will need an under drive kit on the water pump/crank or extend the pipe, hits the pulley otherwise.

SOHC water pump - but you will need to do a bit of grinding.

IF your efi'ing a 2.6 - there's not much more difference with a 4g63 install.
vr4sigma

Post by vr4sigma »

yeah this is an easy conversion, simple bolt up job. no need to change gearbox mounts, tailshaft etc etc, jap 2ltr box and a h/duty clutch will work just fine, i have mine for 4 years its been the funest car ive ever owned
astron_on_boost

Thanx for the reply fella's
So if im understanding right, The 4g63t dohc bolts in using sigma engine mounts bolted to the block off either a 2.6 auto or 2ltr??? or does it use VR4 engine mountings?
I love the 2.6 but i think the 4g63t (dohc) puts out plenty more power & if later on i want more,there are parts everywhere for them... :twisted:
astron_on_boost

Anybody???
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

astron_on_boost wrote:Anybody???
I thought you used starion mounts - I've not done the convertion but it were I would be looking
cheater
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

cheaterparts wrote:
astron_on_boost wrote:Anybody???
I thought you used starion mounts - I've not done the convertion but it were I would be looking
turbosigma wrote:
SOHC 4g63 engine mounts.

yep - starion / L300 - anything SOHC 4g63 rwd should work. I'm using L300, original I did just mod the sigma mounts, but that would be another thing an engineer would then have to look at i guess.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

So a 5 sp jap trans will bolt straight up to a dohc 4g63 (narrow block iirc)? How much do those trans in for? Any one know the model number etc for that trans? Sorry for all the questions, i am planning an engine swap for my Sigma gn, and still tossing up between a 1jz and a 4g63.
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

Any narrow bell should fit - BW or Jap.

But I would go Supra at a minimum - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=

Like the idea of the T56 - http://projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=250

Or the Turbo 350 http://projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic ... c&start=50

Check out http://projectzerog.com/ for more rwd 4g63 ideas.
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

I was under the impression starion motors were a wide block format??? are vr4 motors narrow block??? cos of the front wheel factor??

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

From what I have read in my research, most RWD 4G63s are wide, FWD/AWD are narrow.

For anyone interested, and are in NSW, there is a VR4 front cut for $1,999 on ebay at the moment. The link is below.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mitsubishi-Galan ... 240%3A1318
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

The bell housing adapter looks good, and cheaper than Castlemaine Rod Shop's 4G64 > W58 adapter (which I think is for wide blocks anyway). Shipping for that would be expensive, and that auction doesn't ship internationally. Is there anyone in Aus that can/would fabricate things like that?
stealth

Post by stealth »

you can buy 2lt narrow block bellhousings from dellows in sydney
around $650 to suit w58
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Has anyone done the measuring to see if the 4G63 could fit into a Sigma if it was put in transversely?
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Cottees,

I'm very worried UNLESS you are thinking of an AWD conversion..

Cheers
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

AWD conversion would be worth a try. How many AWD Sigmas have you seen? It would just be something different. That is one reason why I would like to put in a 1JZ into my Sigma. That, and it is already a RWD engine.
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

AWD Sigma :twisted:
If you can work out how to do that you'll be able to set up your own conversion business - plenty of takers here I reckon :D
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have done measurements for the JZs (from technical drawings, and knowing bore size), and the 2jz would be a very tight squeeze, and either a lower crossmember or bonnet hump would be needed. 1jz would still be tight, but is shorter than the 2jz. On both, i might need to move the radiator forward. I think moving the radiator might also be needed for a transversly mounted 4g63 because of the exhaust manifold and turbo. In regards to the 1jz half cut. I would be interested if i wasn't in Adelaide, and if i wasn't broke from killing my daily driver (91 Commodore VN s2).
S1GMARE

Post by S1GMARE »

Dont bother with mits jap 5 speeds if you plan on making more than 150kw.
Ive blown 2 in 9 months and only making 200rwkw.

I did see a while ago eoi on adaptors to suit series IV/V RX7 gearboxes. Anyone know of this?
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

will a 4g63 box hold up between 150 - 200 kws, i have heard they are stronger as they came out of a turbo car??? but have also read of people breaking them as well. you could take the insides out and put them into a narrow jap box maybe?? to fit behind a vr4 motor.

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have done some measurements and calculations and it would be possible to take the complete running gear from an EVO IV, and put it under a Sigma. it would be a very tight fit. for the rear diff, there would be 3mm spare either side. It would be possible if you roll the guards. The EVO IV is also has the narrowest tread width of all the EVOs. I have ended up deciding on just using the 4G54 that is in my Sigma, and EFI'ing that. The EVO mod would be fun, but I don't have the cash to do such a big project at the moment.
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

I've the GSR import with the 2 litre sohc 4g63b turbo mated up to a 4 speed auto box, that Tufsig mentioned before.

The gent that's being rebuilding mine is Flav from Austarion, and he would know all the answers to the above questions, has a workshop full of all parts, (ships them all over Aus), and did his apprenticeship on the early evo's - and he says you're welcome to hand out his number, just no time wasters please.

Pm me for it

:)
Don't try to insure a 1984 Galant Turbo 2000 with RACV, they'll insist that it only came out with a super charger, and that the turbo is an illegal mod........