it wont start

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
84gksigmawa

it wont start

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Hey all so after months of waiting looking an being broke i found a astron 2.6 with a jap 5 speed!! :) so we ripped the old 1.6 an 4 speed out got the new motor in an now it wont start!!!

so its got fuel but no spark at the coil, the old motor had points and the new one has electronic ignition. we have tried wiring up the control module but i swear the wiring diagram i have is designed to just give u a headache because it ended in a red hot ballist resistor and a flat battery lol...my bad.

we have tried just putting the 2 wires to the coil so that it tells the coil to shoot spark i have checked the dizzy the air gap the resistance and the magnet in the distributor and its all perfect so anyone got a clue as to y it wont spark it is driving me insane :(

any help would be great thanks.
trainzkid88

Re: it wont start

Post by trainzkid88 »

what year is the motor out of as the gk-gn sigma had points, electronic the separate control box job or Bosch high energy electronic ignition the chip is on the side of dissy. they all fit just use the points system you had as there is no mods need to wiring harness. note timing them can be a pain in the arse.
this car is all motor real motors don't need forced induction or nitrous and there's no substitute for cubes.
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Hey it is out of an 85 GJ i think it has a seperate control box an its a pain :s we have tried wiring the dizzy to the positive an negative on the coil through the control box, hard wiring to the battery an even removing the ballast resistor incase it wasnt getting power. It all seemed ok but it just refused to spark at the coil so i ended up getting cranky and taking the dizzy out stripping the guts out of it an the guts from a points distributor an am planning on doing a transplant to see if that works im running out of time to get it on the road an i just want my car back hahaha.

thanks again
rob020

Post by rob020 »

if you get a dizzy out of a late model sigma or a carby magna (with the ignitor mounted to the dizzy) then there will only be 2 wires to hook up :thumpsup:
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

I just found a thread on here witha picture and a explanation saying that now i understand why my mates 2 litre l300 only has 2 wires :$
haha u are a genius thanks....but what model maggie to get donor parts??? i live in wa so parts are few an far between :(

thanks for the help guys thank god i found this site.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

any 4g54 carby magna (they used carbys right up till the TR (1992ish)) will have the dizzy you want
i can take a pic of my dizzy for ya tomorrow if it helps?
i reckon someone on here will have a spare one if you have trouble sourcing one

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

the only wrecker that has one is a 100 bucks :(
but the good news is i bodged the dizzy up with points for internals lol some even with the hole we cut in the side the tech screw drilled in the plates grinded down it works but the car wont start :( lol fuel pump dont work...o well we did find the dizzy to be at fault for the spark :)

thanks for all help
rob020

Post by rob020 »

lol, wow youve made probably the only points dizzy for an astron... the 2l and 2.6l all had electronic dizzys, only the 1.6 had points

are you sure its the fuel pump? i have a 2 outlet pump on my siggy and a single outlet pump i bought to put on it cos im using a weber,
i go to pick up my haltech ECU so i dont need either of em, i could post you the one you need for $30 if you cant find one cheaper..

you could always get a facet electronic pump from supercheap for about $90, which would be an improvement
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Thanks for the offer robo20 ended up getting new fuel pump for 70 bucks from repco worked after that lol i posted another thread titled issues many issues any input would be great cos me and dad are stumped as. cheers. :thumpsup: