Converting Sigma Lights from Halogen to HID

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
tonycrouch

Converting Sigma Lights from Halogen to HID

Post by tonycrouch »

I was wondering if anyone has worked out a way of putting HID lights into their sigma?

I've upgrade all of my other cars, but they've all used the new modern H4 and H1 (or H3) connectors which most new cars have. This is the first vehicle I've attempted it to where the wiring has been different.

The main trouble I see is that the H4 (lo/hi) and H3 (hi) are all wired into the same harness (unlike newer cars which have separate wiring for each bulb).

Has anyone had any success with this?

Cheers,
TC
81pw

Re: Converting Sigma Lights from Halogen to HID

Post by 81pw »

They have a kit for them on eBay under sigma hid
WagonWheel

Post by WagonWheel »

They arent HIDs they are just normal halogen globes with coloured lenses.
luke77

Post by luke77 »

I have a H4 HID upgrade kit here that I will be using to convert my GK Rally Car. It will be a matter of cutting single plug of end of loom, working out HI/LOW/Earth wires and simply wiring a H4 plug (available from Repco, Bursons etc) onto the loom. The back of the headlight will need to be modified to allow HID harness from ballast to go into the cap that comes off to change globes. The seperate HI Beam wont be used on my car as it will have 4 driving lights as per CAMS regs, but use the same cut and shut process as the H4 plug. If you can get hold of a factory wiring diagram it will make life easier. If you can't get one I have a Genuine Mits GK workshop manual that I can scan the wiring diagram if you want.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand, smoke in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming -WOO HOO! What a Ride!"
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

luke77 wrote:It will be a matter of cutting single plug of end of loom, working out HI/LOW/Earth wires and simply wiring a H4 plug (available from Repco, Bursons etc) onto the loom.
I wouldn't bother cutting the existing harness.

Buy a few of these harnesses and just plug into the existing wiring.
The HID system uses a lot less current than conventional globes so there shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers.
tonycrouch

Post by tonycrouch »

WagonWheel wrote:They arent HIDs they are just normal halogen globes with coloured lenses.
Yeh I recently blew one of the H4 bulbs (drivers side) and replaced it with one of these blue coloured ones which I had lying around (they were originally in my wife's car before I upgraded it to HID).

I decided to only replace one side to get a good comparison between the blue bulbs and the standard white ones. The difference (both on the road and nosed into the garage wall) is really noticeable -- not just in colour but also brightness --- the blue bulb is definitely brighter -- Don't they say it has a higher lumen rating or something?).

I'm hoping to getting around to putting the other blue lensed bulb in this weekend (As it's starting to get annoying -- one side of the road being nice and white and the other being yellowish).
tonycrouch

Post by tonycrouch »

luke77 wrote:I have a H4 HID upgrade kit here that I will be using to convert my GK Rally Car. It will be a matter of cutting single plug of end of loom, working out HI/LOW/Earth wires and simply wiring a H4 plug (available from Repco, Bursons etc) onto the loom. The back of the headlight will need to be modified to allow HID harness from ballast to go into the cap that comes off to change globes. The seperate HI Beam wont be used on my car as it will have 4 driving lights as per CAMS regs, but use the same cut and shut process as the H4 plug. If you can get hold of a factory wiring diagram it will make life easier. If you can't get one I have a Genuine Mits GK workshop manual that I can scan the wiring diagram if you want.
Did you just purchase a standard H4 HID upgrade kit? Or was it something special?

I think I've got a diagram @ home, If I can't find it I'll give you a yell.
tonycrouch

Post by tonycrouch »

Superscan811 wrote:
luke77 wrote:It will be a matter of cutting single plug of end of loom, working out HI/LOW/Earth wires and simply wiring a H4 plug (available from Repco, Bursons etc) onto the loom.
I wouldn't bother cutting the existing harness.

Buy a few of these harnesses and just plug into the existing wiring.
The HID system uses a lot less current than conventional globes so there shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers.
Thanks for the link :-)
luke77

Post by luke77 »

Nah mate just a std H4 kit.

As far as using a patch harness it just means more plugs/wiring to try and cram in behind headlight because of the 5 pin plug that goes into the headlight then the H4 plug inside the light. I prefer to have has little extra plugs etc than necessary. But that's just my opinion........
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand, smoke in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming -WOO HOO! What a Ride!"