Fuel warning/empty light stays on

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
krazy1

Fuel warning/empty light stays on

Post by krazy1 »

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could help with an annoying little issue having with the Sigma.

Car is an 84 GK Sigma and the fuel warning/empty light/dash indicator never goes away, no matter how full or empty the tank really is.

We have taken apart the dash to see if anything disconnected but nothing wrong there. Disconnected battery and etc, no help either.

Anyone got an idea on what else we can try? Its not a major issue, been like that for months, but if ur going on a decent drive, and ur getting low on fuel, it would be good to know when ur actually in a real need to fill up rather than just pouring to hope u will at least get where u need to go...
tango76hardtop

Re: Fuel warning/empty light stays on

Post by tango76hardtop »

could be the actual sender unit in the top of the fuel tank
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Have you tried putting fuel in it :wut:
krazy1

Post by krazy1 »

Let me add that the fuel gauge indicator does work, when we fill it up to the max, it shows a full tank BUT the empty/low light stays on. Not a problem obviously when full but when underneath quarter tank its a guessing game as to when it really is getting empty...
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

Could be the stupid, your using to much fuel pressure switch - makes the fuel light come on when you accelerate to hard.

My gh se had one - removed it.

If its stuffed could be holding the light on.
woops

Post by woops »

I'd second that. The switch is on the passengers side of the engine bay and is a white round thing with a black cap and two wires and a vacuum tube coming out of it. The manufacturer put it there to try and say you are driving in a way which isn't economical. If the vacuum line isn't connected it will get atmospheric pressure which is the same as full throttle. Just unplug the switch and the light should turn off.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

:stupid:
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

Check the little cylinder with the single wire coming from it on the sender unit in the tank.

or what woops said above
brendon

Post by brendon »

I had the same probelm for about 5 years, just pulled the thing off then,,, SOLVED IT

thanks
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
zabatron

Post by zabatron »

To solve fuel light problem,go to your fuel light/fuel pacer switch under bonnet on inner lh wheel arch,remove the small black rubber cap from the top of it,then turn the screw anti-clockwise about half a turn.Go for a drive and check that the fuel light doesn't come on.If light still comes on,turn screw anti clockwise another half turn until light goes off.
brendon

Post by brendon »

I'll try that idea then...

if you disconnect the thing does the low fuel light come on when there is low fuel?
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

no
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

i had this problem but it just went away but in the sigmas the light would come on under heavy throttle to let you know you are using more fuel lol
it got quite annoying
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

krazy1

Post by krazy1 »

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated!

Played around with it a bit, first turned the screw about a notch and noticed that under throttle it would come on. Only under a very very slight tap of the accelerator would it not turn on. Drove for the next 20 mins with on and it became really annoying for something to constantly light up in the dash on and off so I disconnected it the switch altogether.

Is it worth having a go at turning the screw a little bit more so its not as sensitive or will it be the same? If u turn it too much will it then not tell u your low on fuel until an extremely late stage?? Is that how it will work if adjusted? Any point on replacing the little unit or is that not possible?