efi problems(headaches)

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
84gksigmawa

efi problems(headaches)

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Ok guys got the efi on the gn motor. This is the second motor the efi has been paired to. It starts runs drives but it seemed a bit gutless I have re set timing to 5 deg before tdc and wiggled the dizzy to its love spot going one end it pings badly under load and the other end of dizzy adjuster it doesn't rev up well so it's in the middle.

Secondly the starting has become an issue brand new 500cca battery relocated to boot, when cranking it is slow light inside dims out with each turn crank it 2 or 3 times and the fuel pump primes after each crank it starts. As it's cranking it sometimes spins faster like it should. Other times it cranks and sounds like it bounces back, like bad timing but it can't be wrong timing this is the second motor this has happened too. It used to do this when the battery was in engine bay.

Please help it's doing my head in I'm hoping I've done something wrong and you guys Can tell me what tht something is.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: efi problems(headaches)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Put some "mugen" stickers on the door....that should give it hp it needs to start properly :P

Seriously tho, I'd be looking at all your earthing to make sure you have a good solid earth (maybe an extra earth strap can help out)
Slow cranking and diming lights is simply low battery power

As a precaution, check your battery for voltage and amperage (I've heard of failing batteries despite being brand new)

If that's all good, just do your normal checkings, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, dizzy button, maybe even check if theres any form of seizure occurring on the dizzy bearing (tho I'd do it after all your other basic checks)

Depending on your results....i'd check your starter motor as well.......doubtful that's the problem...but you'd want to cover all bases
Built with pride, Driven in anger
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Hey scorpma82 the dizzy isn't advancing timing so it's getting replaced can it really kill cranking I added an extra earth with little success motor was cranking with carb efi is what slowed it down was running ok last night this morning not even a click at starter battery low so it's on charge now.
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Dizzy wouldn't kill cranking as such....but if it doesn't provide the spark the car needs....well.....no start...no matter how well ur car cranks over
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Ah ok cool had a fiddle tonight there power from key at starter solinoid but nothing so gonna drop starter out an bench test it got a spare that works so will give it a go
ddt

Post by ddt »

If your cranking is slow and your battery discharged overnight, you might have a short somewhere.
Try disconnecting the earth from your battery, set your multimeter to measure Amps and measure how much current drain you are getting from negative terminal to ground. Should be less than 50mA (or 0.05 A).
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

I was gonna suggest a current draw also.....got beaten to it by the looks of things :P
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Fully charged battery had slow cranking and wasn'. Flat flat starter motor went from working to dead at the solenoid overnight gonna pull it and bench test it, at this point I'm extremely unlucky 2nd bad starter doing efi lol thanks for the help will keep you posted
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Pull the coil lead out of the distributor and try cranking it. If it then cranks ok it means you have a ign. timing problem
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Hey sigmaproject turned the key 2 days later am slow cranking but was ok been fine up until the last few days slow cranking or just clicks or nothing at all voltage at battery ok but when cranking drops to 9.5 volt will turn a few times then spin fast an fire. Tried coil lead an no improvement. I've put a second earth from battery and no better trying a new block to body earth to see if that helps any other ideas everything done but this an it's making me avoid driving it anywhere important incase it won't start thanks for the help guys
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Hey guys sorted the cranking issues. Swapped starter motor and always cranked but lacked power put a second positive lead from battery(relocated to boot) works a treat now. old starter had a bad solenoid that didn't always work.

Onto my timing, still annoying me,discovered an air leak at intake, sealed up which fixed idle problems. I have set timing to 1 deg before tdc and used a timing light to check advance. Which when dizzy in middle of adjustment is 13-15 btdc.
runs gutless more torque and smooth but no real go in it.
so I wiggled it so advance is running 20deg btdc and has more go in it but still not real punchy like you would expect. If I adjust it closer to tdc it becomes so gutless you can't use over an 1/8 throttle or it just chugged bad.

I'm wondering if the fuel regulator may be vacuumed to much an causing a lack of fuel is this possible? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

At this stage just happy to be driving it without any huge problem. Cheers