GJ Sigma Gearbox swap

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
adixon

GJ Sigma Gearbox swap

Post by adixon »

I've got a GJ SE Sigma wagon. The automatic gearbox in it has recently died and I'm wanting to put one of the 5 speed sigma boxes in it. I've heard that the bell housing sizes differ in models and between auto and manual gearboxes. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of which model/year manual box I could put in with the least amount of hassles. Cheers.
84gksigmawa

Re: GJ Sigma Gearbox swap

Post by 84gksigmawa »

I'm looking at doing the same thing mate from what ive read auto is narrow block so you either need a box from a 2 litre or just grab a 2.6 with a manual and swap the lot . It's not just a bolt up job either there the clutch in the firewall to add and the cross member underneath needs modifications. Then there's the shifter hole needs like 10mm removed so your gearstick moves etc. Then just pedal box and console etc. Oh and don't forget you need to do the neutral switch so it starts. Hopefully someone picks up on anything I missed
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Hate to hijack but does anyone have a photo of the bracket used to support the gear box. Utilizing the original mounting holes. Cheers
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3569

Yep you need a box from a 2.0 litre
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR