Wiper Slack

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
smithdavidjames

Wiper Slack

Post by smithdavidjames »

My GE Sigma has developed a large amount of slack on the drivers side wiper arm and no longer really clears the windscreen enough. I have traced the problem to the connecting rods under the dash but Gregory manual has no info on fixing. I have got my arm up in there but am unable to feel a solution, anyone got any experience with this??

Thanks, David
Sigmaproject

Re: Wiper Slack

Post by Sigmaproject »

Usually it is just the spline in the wiper arm. If it is in the wiper mechanism itself.. you will need to replace the whole mechanism. It is all assembled into a single unit.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The nylon cups that hold the link 'balls' are prone to coming apart from age. I've been thinking about how to go about reconditioning them and the only feasible way I can see is grind off the ball socket from the wiper link, and make new control linkages from thin rods with left and right threaded ends (like go kart steering links) and drilling a hole through the wiper arm link where the ball was solid mounted and nylock it together. Something similar to this -
Sigmoe

Post by Sigmoe »

just grab some new linkages from a wrecker