Timing on gh sigma.

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
ADZ

Timing on gh sigma.

Post by ADZ »

Had my dizzy out of my gh sigma, stuffed up the timing an now can't get it to fire, any tips on these electronic dizzies? Any help appreciated, it's starting to annoy me...
leoca64

Re: Timing on gh sigma.

Post by leoca64 »

2.0 or 2.6?
zabatron

Post by zabatron »

Procedure for fitting distributor is the same for both 2 litre and 2.6 litre Astron motors.The following procedure applies to Astron motors fitted with Bosch electronic ignition distributor only.Not applicable to 1.6 litre saturn motor(but I can look it up for you if this is the motor you have).
1.Grab a large shifter and rotate the crankshaft pulley clockwise until the number one piston is at TDC on compression stroke.
2.Make sure rotor button is installed correctly to distributor,but do not install distributor cap yet.
3.Looking at distributor drive gear,you will notice that the drive gear is retained by a roll pin.Rotate the drive gear until the protruding end of the roll pin lines up with the mating line on the distributor housing.
4.Insert distributor into cylinder head with mating marks described in step 3 pointing upwards, and install distributor retaining nut.
5.The mating mark(line) on the end of the metal tip of rotor button should now line up with the number 1 timing mark on the distributor housing.If not,make sure number one piston is at tdc,and repeat above steps until the rotor lines up correctly.Motor will not start if rotor does not line up with mating mark as described.
6.Install distributor cap,spark plug leads in correct firing order(1342), install coil lead,re install vacuum hose to vacuum advance unit, and re-connect distributor electrical connector.
7.Start engine,allow to warm up, and adjust ignition timing to correct specification.
ADZ

Post by ADZ »

Thanks guys, got her going...
zabatron

Post by zabatron »

no worries