New daily 2001 Mitsi Challenger - any tips?

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Shifta

New daily 2001 Mitsi Challenger - any tips?

Post by Shifta »

Hey guys,

At the risk of having to sell a Kidney or a Colt to pay for it, I've just bought this 2001 Challenger:

Until I started looking at the cheap 4wd market I had no idea what a Challenger was. So far I love the car but it's already getting expensive. Anyone had any experience with the day to day running of these cars and also tips on maintaining/modifying/accesorising them? I'm already sick of the non-electric central locking and just got back from a 1800km road trip without cruise control.
ddt

Re: New daily 2001 Mitsi Challenger - any tips?

Post by ddt »

i thought i read somewhere that the Challengers was essentially the previous model (at the time) pajero with new bodywork over the top.
Not sure if that helps regarding modifying or accessorising, but it may useful to keep in mind.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

ive got an idea but u might not like it though.....just sack it mate,everything looks better when its on the floor :lol: :lol:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

As far as I know they are based on the Triton - same chasis and running gear. It's definitely alot smaller than the Pajero as I looked at a couple of them. So far it seems very capable but I guess I'll soon see :)
brendon

Post by brendon »

I looked at these too, it is based on a Triton. I ended up going a mid 80s range rover: cheap to buy, 3.5tn towing cap, don't care as much if it get scratched/bent 4x4ing, better offroad capabilites.

All i can say is anything 4x4 is expensive....

try these guys:

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=98
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Thanks mate, I'll check it out! The Challenger has a tow rating of 2270kg which is ok for my 2tonne car trailer. The thing is a little too nice and I am worried about dents and scracthes! LOL. Big difference from my old commodore that I didn't care about :)
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Nah Leigh, Petrol/LPG. I looked at a few Turbo Diesel cars but the right one didn't come along. Biggest obstacle I've encountered is the car is due for a Timing Belt and they do the water pump at the same time. It's gonna hurt my wallet but I guess I'll know it's all good for another 100k. Accessory wise dual batteries, cargo barrier,roof racks etc maybe on the list. I need to keep reminding myself I only need it to get to my property and back so don't want to get sucked into the 4wd craze :)
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

HI mate,

I did my mechanics apprentiship at a mitsubishi dealership a few years ago (when these were brand new)....They are based on the Triton (Magna V6, triton gearbox/transfer case and LSD rear diff)

In terms of modifcations...you can always upgrade to the 3.5L V6 (if it doesnt have one already) or if your THAT keen...the Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5L Quad cam motor or the 3.8L OHC motor for more poke.......... (or if you want to follow my dream...a blown and injected BBC lol)

I dont remember about brakes (if the Pajeros are bigger or not) but it can be an upgrade for you that's cheaper for you.

Other than that...just make sure that the engine is regularly serviced as the engine WILL deteriorate very quickly if you don't

None the less....they are a great car and will give you many years of service........nice buy
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Thanks mate, appreciate the info! I'll definitely keep the running gear as is - too many other projects on the go :). I'm planning on keeping this thing for ever so already started getting the servicing on track and have audited everything done so far. Today I'm getting the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump done and will also get and oil change and filter. My mate is doing it so he's gonna go right over the whole thing. Fingers crossed once it's all up to date I'll have some carefree reliable motoring :)
luke77

Post by luke77 »

I had a 98 model for a while. It was a really good car but i had no need for the 4x4 anymore so sold it. Having worked for a Mits Dealer for a while I can confirm that they are essentially a triton wagon, just the same as a 4runner is a hilux wagon. There is no real common faults with them, just keep up the general maintenace (servicing etc) and it should be a good thing. Just the same as most things Mits, highly underrated!!!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand, smoke in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming -WOO HOO! What a Ride!"
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Shifta wrote:Thanks mate, I'll check it out! The Challenger has a tow rating of 2270kg which is ok for my 2tonne car trailer. The thing is a little too nice and I am worried about dents and scracthes! LOL. Big difference from my old commodore that I didn't care about :)
not douting you but the triton petrol with the 3000 V6 was rated 1500 Kg towing in ether 2 or 4 wheel drive
the diesel had the higher tow rate of 2270kg
I remember this trying to get ratings on a lazy axle convertion we use to do

if its based on the triton I would check that tow rating
cheater
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Nice pick up.

As above, they are based on the MK Triton.
Only real things I'm aware to keep an eye on is it doesn't hurt changing the gearbox oils over before specified, they are not the strongest gearbox.
Differentials are supposedly pretty robust though; although if they have been abused in the past then be aware.

Also, going by the picture there is looks to have automatic front hubs? If so they can cause issues at times. They are vacuum operated & leaks are known to happen. Nothing to be worried about though.

Servicing can get a little costly at times, gear oil is all fully synthetic. But, that isn't a very common maintenance item.
Comparing to other 4wd's though, there not that expensive to keep running.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Thanks guys, yeah i reckon the gear oil is on my list of things to do shortly :). I'd be very surprised if the tow rating was only 1500kg - that's the same as a Magna....
brendon

Post by brendon »

Hows the challenger been going?
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Apologies, haven't been on the forum in a long time so didn't see your post. The challenger is epic! So much car for the money and still going strong at 270k on the clock. I've towed cars, building supplies, and even a Massey Ferguson 35 Tractor :). I'm hoping PB challengers come down in price a bit this year and I'll probably upgrade. Only downsides with the PA challenger are that they are underpowered ( good fuel consumption on LPG ) and annoying service items like timing belt and Rocker cover gaskets are bit pricey.