Ever lost the keys to your Sig/Galant?

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Shifta

Ever lost the keys to your Sig/Galant?

Post by Shifta »

Put the Tubz GK up for sale a week or so ago, moved the cars around so it was at the front of the carport, and haven't seen the keys since. I'm thinking either my young nieces, friend's young daughter, or perhaps my puppy has souveniered them as the keyring has a little LED light on it that kids always play with. I'm hoping they'll turn up soon but worse case scenario will be what, replace all the key barrels and the ignition barrel? Anyone had to do this? Cursing myself for not having a spare set cut now :(
GB_BB4C

Re: Ever lost the keys to your Sig/Galant?

Post by GB_BB4C »

Take a door/boot lock out and take to a lock smith, will be able to get a key made from it.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Shifta

Post by Shifta »

They can do that?? Cheerin, will break in and take the boot lock out tonight! Any idea on cost?
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Was a couple of yrs ago that i had it done. Cost me $30 from the locksmith at Marion
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Sweet. Was inside the car in about 2mins with trusty packing tape and the boot lock was off 5mins later. Will head to the locksmith tomorrow :).
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

If you have a look on the steering column, underneath the plastic schroud, you will see a number stamped near the lock barrel.
That is all you need if you can find a locksmith with the correct computer software. I know of one locksmith in Castle Hill that has it.

Worked perfectly for my old wagon.

Cheers.
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Thanks mate, I checked the 6 digit number this morning and the locksmith I went to reckons he needs a 4 digit number with an E or H attached? He reckons it's sometimes on the drivers door barrell so I might take that out. If I can get the code he wants, he reckons $20 to make a key. If I can't he said he'll try the door lock and make a key for $45. While there I had spares cut for all my cars and motorbike - there's no way I'm getting caught out again :)
A112H

Post by A112H »

While there I had spares cut for all my cars and motorbike - there's no way I'm getting caught out again
:thumpsup:
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Updating thread for educational and LOL purposes. Ok, so rang around, got some crazy quotes. Pulled the door skin off and took the drivers side key barrell out - success. The barrell has a 4 digit code and a "h". Rang the local guy and he said bring it straight down and for $20 I'll get a new key - cheering. Just about to leave and I'm looking at my Fish Tank - my 1 and 4 year old nieces love the fish. On a hunch I crawl down and slide my hand around under the tank........set of Sigma keys. So my nieces must like fish and keys. So the car is now back together and I saved myself $20. What I didn't save was the time lost searching 2 sheds, 5 cars, and a house for the past week! :)
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Shifta wrote:Updating thread for educational and LOL purposes. Ok, so rang around, got some crazy quotes. Pulled the door skin off and took the drivers side key barrell out - success. The barrell has a 4 digit code and a "h". Rang the local guy and he said bring it straight down and for $20 I'll get a new key - cheering. Just about to leave and I'm looking at my Fish Tank - my 1 and 4 year old nieces love the fish. On a hunch I crawl down and slide my hand around under the tank........set of Sigma keys. So my nieces must like fish and keys. So the car is now back together and I saved myself $20. What I didn't save was the time lost searching 2 sheds, 5 cars, and a house for the past week! :)
But more importanatly have you got a spare key cut for it??
First thing i always do is go get a spare key cut.

Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Ironically there were two keys on the same keyring - I have rectified that for all my cars now! :)
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

this thread gave me lolz
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Ha ha, happy to provide the entertainment :)
Rokinfreekapotamus

Post by Rokinfreekapotamus »

Back when I had my trusty Sigma, i dropped it off to my Grandfathers service station so the mechanics could do a rego and a few things really late at night when no one was there, locked it up went back home, then early the next day went on a little trip a couple hours away. Only to realise late in the arvo i took the keys with me.

My Grandfather didn't know i took the keys and there was an old Mitsubishi key sitting in his office, so he picked it up went and unlocked the car, drove it around the block, got it all fixed, before i had even realised. As soon as i noticed i called him, and he told me about the key in the office and him thinking it was mine.

Security plus haha
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Shifta wrote:Sweet. Was inside the car in about 2mins with trusty packing tape and the boot lock was off 5mins later.
2 minutes? That took a while. It is scary to say it, but I was able to open my Sigma in the dark within 30 seconds. When demonstrating the technique in day light, I was able to do it within 10 sec.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Takes me about 10 seconds for any Scorp. Libby locked her keys in a few weeks ago, and I had to go save her. Walked straight to the drivers door and before she had even finished her sentence on how she locked them in I was in. I used to do it a bit at my old house as it was easier then walking from the garage back to the house if I left the keys behind.
tre04z

Post by tre04z »

The keys I had for my first LC were that filed down through use I could open and start 28 cars, 3 motorbikes and a bobcat. Needless to say when I killed the car I kept the key. Was way too much fun moving my mates cars around at night. :D
DVSGAL

Post by DVSGAL »

My house keys used to open my galant :)
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I used to run a magnetic key lock under the car gaffa taped up (so it wouldnt open accidently).....that was my way of breaking in lol

Will certainly do it again on the next car!!
Built with pride, Driven in anger