Surge tank / Swirl pot

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
A112H

Surge tank / Swirl pot

Post by A112H »

While this is not the only set up, it is a question I have been asked before and I just made this pic for another member and thought I would share.

A112H

Re: Surge tank / Swirl pot

Post by A112H »

EDIT: altered as suggested by superscan and GB_BB4C :thumpsup:
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Perfect.. :thumpsup:

Cheers.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

I dont like to run the return from the rail back to the surge tank as it tends to fill it with hot fuel, if it goes back to the main tank it has more time to cool before being sent back to the engine
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

amgis_obrut wrote:I dont like to run the return from the rail back to the surge tank as it tends to fill it with hot fuel, if it goes back to the main tank it has more time to cool before being sent back to the engine
True.
The only issue again is there is nowhere for any air to escape out of the fuel system except through the fuel rail, past all the injectors and then through the regulator.
Not a major issue for a warm N/A car but in a strong turbo engine, it may very well cause the injectors to lean out because they may suck in a bit of that air while it's passing.
You would also have t make sure the FPR is on the high end of the fuel rail, which is normal anyway.

Cheers.
woops

Post by woops »

The other thing that could be a bit of a concern with sending the fuel rail return back to the tank is that you need to make sure your low pressure lift pump flows much more than the fuel pump feeding the fuel rail. Otherwise if you use a small lift pump the surge tank would quickly empty during normal operation.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

a simple holley red will out flow most EFI pumps, as far as bleeding the pot of air obviously the return from the pot returns to the tank, i have tapped into the filler neck in the past

If you open up a std tank thats fitted with a return you'll notice that it dumps as far away as possible from the pickup, the sigma being one
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust