Would you tow a car trailer with a Magna?

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Shifta

Would you tow a car trailer with a Magna?

Post by Shifta »

My VS wagon is getting a bit long in the tooth and the other day I drove a 98/99 Magna and it surprised me how well it drove. It was roomy and comfortable. So I'm wondering whether keeping my eye out for a bargain is in order. I know the standard tow rating is only 1500kg, but that aside would people be comfortable towing up to 2 tonne with a FWD Magna? What about the AWD ones? I know they are slower and use more juice but I wonder whether fitting a hayman reece towbar would see it up to the task?
75wagon
Admin

Re: Would you tow a car trailer with a Magna?

Post by 75wagon »

FWD is alright for towing if it is set up properly. You'd need more then a hayman reece towbar, you'd need adjustable weight distribution bars.

My brother has the most serious tow set up I've seen for his Caravan, and he uses his set up on his car trailer too.
- Hayman reece towbar
- Adjustable height tow ball (5 different heights)
- Adjustable weight distribution bars
- and a Sway damper

This stuff doesn't come cheap though?
Shifta wrote:I know the standard tow rating is only 1500kg, but that aside would people be comfortable towing up to 2 tonne with a FWD Magna?
Forget about being brand loyal, buy something that does the job you need. If you tow with a set up that isn't up to the task, and you are involved in an accident, then you will have some problems on your hands.
If you really must buy a Mitsu for towing, buy a Pajero or a Triton 4wd (purely because their tow ratings would be higher, and therefore be designed for the job).
If you don't need to be brand loyal, just buy another Commodore or Falcon or something? Both are cheap as to buy, and easy to get parts for. My Brother towed my old VK Commodore wagon (1650kgs + trailer weight) all the way from Canberra to Newcastle on the back of an AU series 2 Falcon sedan (with the weight distribution bars), I couldn't fault the Falcons performance at the task. I was actually impressed :think:
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

ive done a fair bit of towing with a 2002 magna, it does it fine. has no problems...... other than NO traction with weight on the back, you can forget about taking off with more than 1/3 throttle with a car on a trailor.
and wet hillstarts..... almost didnt make it once

the car is quite capable. but id prefer a RWD or AWD anyday, if towing is in mind.

ive recently got a VX wagon as my tow car, far more suited.
Insert witty one liner here -->
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Thanks guys, yeah good points. It wasn't so much brand loyalty but more it felt nice and comfortable to drive compared to my VS wagon. I guess I should be greatful the VS does the job, a pain on gas but I've done a heap of towing with it lately. A while back I did some research and hands down the best bang for buck tow car was an AU Falcon wagon on gas. I guess I should take a look at a few prices, just something about the AWD Magna has my eye :)
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think the AWD Magna would be fine. I once towed my Grand Parents caravan with their Verada and it was horrible, almost impossible to take of from the lights in the wet.
But the AWD should be fine provided it is up the the combined weight. And remember that in SA that the ball weight limit is 10% of the total tow capacity so if the rated ball weight capacity is 120 kgs the legal tow capacity is only 1200kgs (even if the tow bar/ vehicle is rated to to 2100kgs) so you will also need the correct ball.
If towing a loaded car trailer is something you plan on doing pretty often I would also look at electric brakes, they will save your life if you get the dredded 110kph fish tail going.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:I think the AWD Magna would be fine.
Well, it says here that the AWD Magna's maximum tow weight is 1500kg's (braked) and 500kg's (unbraked). The same weights as that listed for the FWD Magna.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised. The problem with the AWD Magna's I guess is they are slower, use more fuel, and heavier than a VS commo. They also didn't make a wagon version. Mmmmm, will keep searchin the net for a bargain of some sort.... :)
luke77

Post by luke77 »

If you exceed the 1500kg and happen to have an accident, say bye bye to insurance!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand, smoke in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming -WOO HOO! What a Ride!"
A112H

Post by A112H »

75wagon wrote:
A112H wrote:I think the AWD Magna would be fine.
Well, it says here that the AWD Magna's maximum tow weight is 1500kg's (braked) and 500kg's (unbraked). The same weights as that listed for the FWD Magna.
I wasn't thinking weight capacity but traction
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

I've always been curious about them Leigh! I just did some net research and they are still fetching some decent prices. For that sort of money I'd be inclined to do what my mate did and get an NM35 Stagea. One of the nicest cars I've been in lately and tows wicked!
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

tow it with a valiant, not a magna... :blah:
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

I've always had a soft spot for CM/CL Valiants........ :)
Rokinfreekapotamus

Post by Rokinfreekapotamus »

I have an AWD magna and I've got to say, there will be no problem with traction.
Fuel can be a bit shit, on the highway the best I'll average is like 9.2l/100Km. i have the sports model, so it's a bit quicker than a normal FWD magna.

but when it comes to doing any sort of driving, even with fuel consumption in mind i would take it over an FWD or a commonwhore any day. having said that though i have heard that out of the magna, commonwhore and falcon, that the falcon is the go when it comes to towing.
my mum has a fwd magna and it drives totally different.

if you have the money/skills a 6G75 out of the 380s will almost bolt straight up, there is a guy in melbourne?? (possibly) that is on aussiemagna.com that does the conversion, or preps the engines for conversions. this will improve the performance, and also help a bit with fuel. bigger engine, but its not trying anywhere near as hard.

hope my $0.02 helps.
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Thanks mate, yeah they would be a great car but I've had to rule it out as a tow car :(. You pretty much can't get them to tow over 1500kg ( legally and safely ) whereas it turns out my VS Wagon with the upgrade kit ( HD towbar, brake upgrade,trans cooler ) is actually good for 2100kg. I'm probably going to have to go 4wd but I still wanted something comfy like a Magna :(
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

Billsy wrote:ive done a fair bit of towing with a 2002 magna, it does it fine. has no problems...... other than NO traction with weight on the back, you can forget about taking off with more than 1/3 throttle with a car on a trailor.
and wet hillstarts..... almost didnt make it once
Without trying to sound like a smartarse, this is exactly why towing heavy things with a light car is dangerous.
If you have to brake heavily/swerve to avoid something, then you are going to be in the shit.

Not to say it's going to happen to you, but my rule of thumb for whether to do something is -

"if it all goes horribly wrong, would I be comfortable explaining why I did it to the judge at the court case".

Towing 2000kg with a Magna is one where I wouldn't want to be trying to explain why...

cheers
Gaz
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

Gaz, i was well within the weight limit of the magnas towing capacity, it was fine to tow with, weight balance was ok.
traction was just crap as the weight lifts off the front on accel. normal driving and braking was no different to the commo. were talking a late model V6 manga here not an early 4 banger.

Now i towed a scorpion back from melbourne to adelaide with a turbod sigma... that was a case where it wasnt the smartest idea in the world at times.
speed wobbles arent cool. but atleast it had the power to pull out of it. then again, accelerating upto 140kmh to do so is stupid. although backing off likely would have been tragic at that point.
i wouldnt tow a car at any speed with a small car again.
Insert witty one liner here -->