Steering wheel help needed.

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Tj.

Steering wheel help needed.

Post by Tj. »

Anyone know how to get the centre cap of this steering wheel? The wheel feels a little loose but I cant get the cap off to tighten it.

Also, anyone know what it's actually off? a fair amount of debate's been going on in the Galant forum since I posted it, but I've been told it could actually be off a lancer.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Steering wheel help needed.

Post by astronturbo77 »

it looks to be slightly different to a genuine coupe steering wheel. my coupe wheel has a simailar round black center with a horse logo on it. the black center just comes off by gently pulling on it from the edges.
any pics of the rest of the car. :D
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

astronturbo77 wrote:it looks to be slightly different to a genuine coupe steering wheel. my coupe wheel has a simailar round black center with a horse logo on it. the black center just comes off by gently pulling on it from the edges.
any pics of the rest of the car. :D
yer my wheel is the same, although i dont use it, cant stand a big wheel lol... been lanky and all myself.

Anyways theres a small hole in mine to get it out. :?

if i recall.... although yours is different.. try wedging it out without scratching or damaging it.
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Is it loose , or is the shaft bush a little worn ?

Even if the nut has somehow become un-done, the boss should still we wedged tight on the spline. They dont just become loose.

It would generally require a lot of time and swearing to get the boss off the spline. If it has a little sideways movement, it is the bush. If up and down movement get someone to check the connection at the steering box where it joins the column steering shaft, while you move the steering wheel, just incase it is a loose coupling.
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Sigmaproject wrote:Is it loose , or is the shaft bush a little worn ?

Even if the nut has somehow become un-done, the boss should still we wedged tight on the spline. They dont just become loose.

It would generally require a lot of time and swearing to get the boss off the spline. If it has a little sideways movement, it is the bush. If up and down movement get someone to check the connection at the steering box where it joins the column steering shaft, while you move the steering wheel, just incase it is a loose coupling.
Well that's sorta good news. I know the steering box is stuffed and it is on the to-do list so theoretically i shouldn't need to pull the wheel off and risk damaging it.
kodos

Post by kodos »

They are only found on pre 73 GTO's and !6L colts (GA/B coupes) as far as I am aware, all the later hardtops had different variants but simillar.
The horn is difficult to get off sometimes but you have to hold at the chrome ring part. push it in as hard as you can and twist counter clockwise. DONT TRY AND LEAVER IT OFF! Its not like the later ones that pull off. Also best to pull the horn fuse before hand too :mrgreen:
Needs GA or GB galant front cut to resurrect a GTO. Please help if you can :mrgreen:
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Check this out.
http://s653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/fdesales/

Came across it on JNC. It's out of a US 1974 dodge colt GT (never heard of a GT variant, and cant see a difference besides a ghetto stripe and 180B tail lights :lol: )

kodos

Post by kodos »

Still, may not be stocko wheel although who knows what shit the yanks got. (other than our American brothers that is lol)
There were plenty of earlier GA/B two door colts in the states so that could be the explanation. Or that some of the early run GC coupes may have got these wheels fitted to deplete stock at the factory as previously mentioned.
Still, they are my favorite factory galant steering wheel. I have got mine being re-gripped atm, and already have had all the chrome plastic bits re-chromed. Cant wait to get it all back together. :mrgreen:
Needs GA or GB galant front cut to resurrect a GTO. Please help if you can :mrgreen:
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

That wheel was not what was on the car when we got it. It was just one we had in 'stock' :lol:

That photo from the brochure is interesting though as it'd for the GD galant. I acquired a brochure for the GC (doesn't have the coupe in it though) and It pictures the wheel with the flat black centre and three horn buttons but in the blurb it says 'similar to one illustrated'.
I also have a copy of Wheels magasine from 1975 with a road test of the GC hardtop and it has the other wheel in those pictures.