What RC (radio controlled) car do you have?

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
75wagon
Admin

What RC (radio controlled) car do you have?

Post by 75wagon »

A few years back now I bought a new RC Car.
It's a Schumacher Mi2 (Made in the UK). It's all carbon fibre and purple anodised aluminium.
I used to race it in 540 4wd Touring car racing.
The club I raced with folded (so had nowhere local to race anymore). I heard about drift RC catching on so I thought I'd give it a go.
I've made a few mods to the car:
- Balls removed from the diffs to make them both lockers
- 27 turn motor (with a few little tweaks to get it going a bit better
- adjustable dual rate springs
- Titanium turnbuckes
- Custom made (by me) drift tyres, and modded rims to run them

Pics:
Note, the body is an Evo 6 Lancer (what else?) it's a bit beaten around now, but I have another 2 hidden away that aren't painted yet.

Anyone else got one? I know of one member with one (H)

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
colta51

Re: What RC (radio controlled) car do you have?

Post by colta51 »

ive got a hobao hiper 10 wiv hiper 12 motor fitted. 2speed all wheel drive too but myn is nitro! 16% i think..?
its only a low end budget one compaird to sum others iv seen but its really fast!
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
81pw

Post by 81pw »

I have a stadium thunder with a 7 turn electric motor. Very fast, jumps the width of a netball court. Stopped racing it cos it kept melting batteries started to cost to much to run. And I use to have a mini coope 30 cm in length 4wd belt driven 2 speed size 15 motor about 2.5 hp I think. Top speed just over 100 kph
Sold that cos every time I crashed it cost me over 200 buck each time to fix it plus buying set of foam tyres everytime I wanted to race it.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

back in the day i used to club race offroad buggies.
Ive still got the TEAM LOSI JRX PRO. i few hand wound 9 turn motors and enough spares to build another 2 or 3 cars, lol
i started in stock (540) class then went into the open modified class.

it was great fun back then, havent taken it out for a while last time i used it only one battery pack worked.

had it clocked with a lasergun by the local copper at 72kmh with high gearing when he say out the front of my house once. in a 50 zone haha
Insert witty one liner here -->
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Just for the record guys (as far as turns in motors goes). Drifting doesn't require anything less then 19 turn motors, anymore power then that and they are undriveable :think:

After fiddling with my 27 turn (for those that don't know the less turns = more power), I was outpacing the 19 turn boys.

Drifting seems to be reasonably cheap to do:
- cheap chassis is all that's needed (mine is overkill, but I already had it).
- Lock the diffs
- throw in a 27 or 19 turn (whatever you've got lying around)
- You don't even need heaps of batteries (drift runs are short).
- Get or make some drift tyres. In America you can buy ABS plastic in tube form (like PVC). Some guys sell them on Ebay already cut to size, quite economical?
- I made my own from High Density Polyethelene, I bought round stock and turned the centre out on my lathe (not the cheapest way, but Polyethekene has good wear properties...
- Or buy the store bought ones.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

I have a HPI Pro4 with a spool rear diff,10.5T brushless. runs a '65 Mustang GT350 body shell,chrome werx rims (10mm offset rear,6mm offset front) PVC drift tyres (thanks to Harlan at the Hobby Shed Morrisett) HiTec metal geared digital steering servo,4500mah Li-po battery pack.
No pics as it is in storage due to our preparing for a move.
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

Hey guys, at the moment I have an EB4 S3 buggy with a RB 0.28 running on 30% nitro, all digital electrics,Hot pink body, upgraded everything. I haven't driven it in a while though.

Needless to say this is a very fast buggy (especially because it's hot pink hahaha) it is capable of well over 100kph with the right gearing (single speed) as it has endless power and just breaks traction constantly. It is incredibly fun on dirt tracks and bmx tracks.

I have never raced but one of my friends is one of the most knowledgable RC car experts around. He has worked for many different hobby shops over the years and is currently at RC hobbies in leichhardt. So if anyone needs anything RC related let me know and I will see what he can do.

I will also try and get some pic's of my car up.
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

I have had a few different cars over the years.
I used to race 1/8 nitro on road in the early '80s,then 1/10 electric off road for a few years.
Since then i have had..
2 HPI E10 electric drift cars
1 Tamiya TA-05 with full carbon and alloy upgrades
3 Kyosho V-One S2 road cars. of these had novarossi 12 engines,the othe had the standard Kyosho engine
2 Kyosho V-One RR Evolutions with Novarossi engines
1 Kyosho FW-05 RR with Novarossi
1Mugen MBX5 Nitro Buggy with a CMB 21 engine
2 Thunder Tiger EB4 S2 Buggies (1 had a Novarossi engine and the other had an OS21VZB engine)
At present I still have my Pro4 and will never part with it.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

seems to be a popular hobby for a few here.
our races were all timed to 5 mins, and we'd setup to run as much power as possible and very often the battery would die on the rundown lap or within seconds of the finish in the modified class.

when i raced the highest capacity NI-CD we could get was 1800MAH, theyd go out cold and come back too hot to touch, occasionally melting things.
Insert witty one liner here -->
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Billsy wrote:seems to be a popular hobby for a few here.
Model cars, slot cars, RC Cars or the real thing. Generally if you have one, it's probably a safe bet you've got some of the others too.
pistorf wrote:I have had a few different cars over the years.
I used to race 1/8 nitro on road in the early '80s,then 1/10 electric off road for a few years.
Since then i have had..
2 HPI E10 electric drift cars
1 Tamiya TA-05 with full carbon and alloy upgrades
3 Kyosho V-One S2 road cars. of these had novarossi 12 engines,the othe had the standard Kyosho engine
2 Kyosho V-One RR Evolutions with Novarossi engines
1 Kyosho FW-05 RR with Novarossi
1Mugen MBX5 Nitro Buggy with a CMB 21 engine
2 Thunder Tiger EB4 S2 Buggies (1 had a Novarossi engine and the other had an OS21VZB engine)
At present I still have my Pro4 and will never part with it.

I've had:
Tamiya Boomerang
Tamiya Nissan King Cab.... still have it
Tamiya TA03F (Lancer EVO 4 bodied) ....still have it
Can't remember the brand but a 4wd EC shaft driven touring car. Raced it successfully and upset the Xray boys with it before I sold it :P
Now and current the Schumacher Mission 2. Converting this thing to a drift car is like bush bashing and F1 car (it's just wrong).

I've never been into Nitro cars. Don't know why, I'm just not interested?

Dave...
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

tamiya TBev04 the world championship winner.

im actually looking to sell it. The whole lot ready to race. car, radio, toolbox, charger, batteries spares the lot. Literally drop the car on track and race...
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well it's been a while since anyone has posted on this, but I have a new entry.
This is my latest thing I'm into, 'RC Drifting'. Those who are on my Facebook already know, but I just thought I post it up to see if anyone else is into this as well?

I have set up 2 Tamiya TA05 VDF chassis's both with 1:1.84 CS conversion (CS is for Countersteer). I'm running twin one-ways in both cars.
My son is too young for real cars (at 12), so this is going to be our Father-Son time.
Both body shells are left over from my club racing days, when we are ready (driving tidy enough) I have a pair of brand new Evo 6 shells (same as the orange one) waiting to go on.

+7 offset rims
-3 deg super drift tyres
36 T front diff pulley with one way and 16T drive gear
28 T rear diff pulley with mini spool and 23T drive gear

The 350Z is my sons car, the Evo 6 is mine.

These things are serious fun. They hold massive drift angles and they hold drifts forever.

This is what they look like drifting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4trQaHaWA8w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8yw1m01alQ

Dave...
A112H

Post by A112H »

Looks good Dave, but why are they AWD?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:why are they AWD?
There isn't enough weight in an RC to replicate the real thing, so rear wheel drive is almost impossible to drive.
My cars have a CS conversion of 1:1.84 which means, to every 1 turn of the front wheels the rear wheels do 1.84 turns. Which makes for more realistic drift. That little bit of front drive balances the chassis and gives it good grip and still plenty of sideways action.
Did I answer your question?

Dave...
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah cool, we disconnected the front shafts from my nitro and that was a mad slider, lol
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:we disconnected the front shafts from my nitro and that was a mad slider
Mad slider yes, but how controllable and predictable was it?

My cars are consistent and very predictable.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah fair enough
Sparkington
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Sparkington »

I got two tamyima buggies, but havent really use them, as i want a drifter :(
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

I've mucked around with a Tamya buggy, but I think now I wanna drift :lol:
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

they used to sell those cheapy (more like rip off) "v8 supercars" nitro 1/10th and they were rwd from factory, you could upgrade to 4wd, they were gutless but had the worst handling ever, as soon as the wheels spin it just does a 180 with no actual control over it

I just realised I never did post pics of my buggy so here are some quick snaps

A112H

Post by A112H »

they used to sell those cheapy (more like rip off) "v8 supercars" nitro 1/10th and they were rwd from factory, you could upgrade to 4wd, they were gutless but had the worst handling ever, as soon as the wheels spin it just does a 180 with no actual control over it
I think the thing with these two quotes is that with a RC you have no steering feel and they have no torque and these things have a crazy power to weight ratio. Even the electric cars are a bit on or off throttle.
Even in the real world, try chucking an actual car or even a V8 Supercar into a corner at full throttle and hold it flat, see what happens. Imagine trying to slide a S15 with a 600hp 2 stroke.
I think with the right componants, chassis set up and practice you could drift a RWD RC but it would take time.
You don't think Ken Nomura was sliding on his L's do ya?
Sparkington
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Sparkington »

I found i could drift my buggys, i had a good controller, which had a great variable throttle and it was a very controllable drift :)
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

A112H wrote:

I think the thing with these two quotes is that with a RC you have no steering feel and they have no torque and these things have a crazy power to weight ratio. Even the electric cars are a bit on or off throttle.
Even in the real world, try chucking an actual car or even a V8 Supercar into a corner at full throttle and hold it flat, see what happens. Imagine trying to slide a S15 with a 600hp 2 stroke.
I think with the right componants, chassis set up and practice you could drift a RWD RC but it would take time.
You don't think Ken Nomura was sliding on his L's do ya?
on the same equivelant though, some of these cars do over 100kmh (scale that up) and imagine trying to drift any car at even a quarter that speed. And when I said they handle like shit, it's even off the throttle that they spin out and it happens so fast (I mean instantly) and unpredictably and there is no way to stop them from spinning once they go. The only way I can see to get around keeping it rwd and getting any sort of predictable and consistent handling is maybe some wide as fark tyres or dropping hp substantially and limiting speed to something more suitably scaled, but that's no fun. The problem with rc cars is that because of the size, power and weight, the handling dynamics are so far off that you can't just use the same principals you would in a real car.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:I think with the right componants, chassis set up and practice you could drift a RWD RC but it would take time.
It's been done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZR_tdtUMKw
A112H

Post by A112H »

I knew it couldn't be impossible, just harder.

You can't ask for much more control than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnptOMrn ... re=related
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

He's certainly not carrying the speed a CS coverted awd can.
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

as I said, limiting speed to something more suitably scaled.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:You can't ask for much more control than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnptOMrn ... re=related
Yeah you can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ikuejxz ... ture=share

And if you want control, how about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb2Umkj4 ... re=related
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

ive got an electric drift one i muck around with in my street. its body is a toyota soarer (hopefully will be changing it soon) and ill be investing in a bigger battery.

this is pretty much the one i bought
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-1-10-RAD ... 013wt_1396
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »