Oil Problems

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
mooey1232003

Oil Problems

Post by mooey1232003 »

Hey guys i have been having oil problems. Out of nowhere i here this sound at 1500RPM it sounds like a loose timing chain. But when the car is at a higher or lower RPM i don't here the sound. So i change the oil and the sound goes away. But now when driving the car is fine but when idling when the car is warm the oil light will come on. I checked the timing chain and it is a bit loose. Before changing the oil the oil pressure was fine it was just the sound that was making me a bit nervous.

Also i took the timing chain cover off and one of the bolt broke, i was wondering if i should try to turn it out then if i cant drill it out? Here is a pic.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mooey123200 ... 9996651986
cheaterparts

Re: Oil Problems

Post by cheaterparts »

lack of oil presure and rattles - could be a few things but my first guess its run a bearing in the balance shaft

as I said its only a guess
cheater
cheater
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Not sure what the rattle could be, spun bearings are a distinctive knocking sound. If you rev the engine and then as it backs off and falls back to idle do you hear the knocking sound?

With the bolt I would get a set of vice grips onto it and try twisting it out. If it snaps again Ive heard of people drilling through the middle of the bolt with a small drill bit and then there is a tool which grips bolts in reverse so they can be pulled out. Not sure what its called but apparently it works.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
zabatron

Post by zabatron »

tool is called an easyout.Not sure what motor you have,but if it has balance shafts then the oil problem may be a loosly adjusted balance shaft chain or the balance shaft chain guides may also be worn causing chain to bind at low rpm.
mooey1232003

Post by mooey1232003 »

Sorry about being so vague guys. I have a 4G52 engine. I have removed the balance shafts. As you said i think it could be the loose balance shaft chain. There is slack in the chain but not enough to remove a link and make the chain a bit smaller. Thanks guys i used that easyout tool and it worked. I have posted a clip to show you the slack in the chain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-9yObGAD-M