Damaged Wheel Advice

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
smithdavidjames

Damaged Wheel Advice

Post by smithdavidjames »

Hi All,

Had a bit of a blow out last week... resulting in a cracked alloy. Just wondering if anyone could give me advice on where the wheel is repairable.

Crack is all the way though the arm near the center of the alloy. Alloys are older Cheviot or ROH 14" anybody know anybody with a spare?

Cheers, Dave
C_Fernance

Re: Damaged Wheel Advice

Post by C_Fernance »

I've had bent and even wheels with a piece of the lip missing repaired before, but never one that has been cracked like that. I highly doubt anyone will want to touch it as you would need to remove a heap of material so you could get any kind of penetration with a weld. I'd be trying to find another.

What was the go with the number of weights on it though? Looks like the wheel/tyre may have had issues before it decided to let go.
smithdavidjames

yeah guys at the tyre place said it was buckled but the still managed to balance it hence the weights and the fact it was on the back...
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah, thats one for the trophy room. Shouldn't be too hard to find a used one
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

dont repair it
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
A112H

Post by A112H »

I am impressed you were running Yoki 352's, these were the tyres of everyones dreams back in the day. I gotta say my XA Coupe never handled as well as it did with the 265/65/15 Yokohama 352's on the front :) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :lol:
DVSGAL

Post by DVSGAL »

I have 4 of these wheels but mine are all black, If I dont need them i'll sell them to you.
smithdavidjames

Thanks for the advice all had pretty much come to the conclusion that it was screwed... but when a set of wheels with tires cost you $63 and they last 1 year on the original tires and then you pay $150 for the 4 352 Yokohamas and drive around on those for another year... you can't really complain. Galant GTO your right great tires love the tread pattern and always handled great 215 on back and 205 on front never missed a beat, will miss them.
smithdavidjames

Just a follow up to this thread as I found something interesting... Managed to pick up another set of these wheels for $250 of eBay with three center caps which was good because I only had one left from this set and to usable Bridgestone potenzas, so happy days. My rule for eBay is good things come to those who check everyday...

On closer inspection I found that my tyre iron did not fit it appears that on my old set of these wheels somebody had machined out the wheel nut holes to fit a standard tyre iron, setting up a weak point where my wheel cracked though. This is most noticeable on the inner edge next to the center hole of the wheel old set there's about 1mm of material, new set there's about 5mm.

Just something to look out for if you come across a set of these rims.

Cheers Dave
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

If have a problem with your wheel nuts just use a socket, extension bar and handle.
Can get into smallest gaps.
3x la lancer 2door
2x gc galant hardtop
1x gc galant wagon