Recommend repairer for firewall rust damage?

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
SE Wagon

Recommend repairer for firewall rust damage?

Post by SE Wagon »

Wednesday my new carpets arrived. :D

Thursday, I discovered my passenger's footwell was very wet. :@ I want to fix the leak before I put the new carpet in.

I believe I know where the water is getting in - through rust damage in behind the windscreen wiper motor, which wasn't repaired when the car was resprayed. :banh:

Dodgy brothers is out of business, so can't go back and twist his arm - not that I'd really want to let him touch my car again.

It's not going to be a simple job, and I'm happy to pay to have it repaired properly. Rather than hit the yellow pages and take my chances I was hoping somebody could make a recommendation.

Anybody?
(Formerly) 1984 GK SE Wagon
Kings, Konis, EFI, exhaust. Not much power. :( But it is red! :D And Sold...
Member's Rides Thread
Billsy

Re: Recommend repairer for firewall rust damage?

Post by Billsy »

got any pics of how bad it is and what needs to be done?
Insert witty one liner here -->
SE Wagon

Post by SE Wagon »

Not without pulling out the wiper motor - again.

There's a few bits which need to be replaced, including the section of firewall where the wiper motor mounts, and the horizontal bit behind it that contains the intake for the ventilation fan (plus the mesh which sits over the top of it to keep leaves out of the fan.) I believe rain is coming through the grill at the base of the windscreen, then through the rust hole(s) and down the firewall.

I paid dodgy brothers an extra $500 (cash) to find a cut from a wrecker and repair it properly (he asked for that amount - I didn't argue, because I simply wanted it done properly). He bent up a piece of tin, riveted it in place on the firewall, siliconed (or similar) one corner & painted over it. :@ Nothing behind the panel was touched - but I didn't work that out until I pulled the wiper motor to sort out an intermittent knock. I wonder why he's out of business?
(Formerly) 1984 GK SE Wagon
Kings, Konis, EFI, exhaust. Not much power. :( But it is red! :D And Sold...
Member's Rides Thread
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Sounds like one day someone will say of dodgy brothers "He Had It Comin' "
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

hmm, sounds tricky.
im happy to have a look at it though.
Insert witty one liner here -->