JET.51G's problem

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
13bsigma

JET.51G's problem

Post by 13bsigma »

hey guys. i'm tihnking of pink slipping jet for another year. i just wanted your opinions on her problem.

when floored, she used to hit 17 psi. maby 18 if i was very lucky. she now barely makes 13 psi. . is there anything beside the turbo that culd be causing the problem? waste gate staying open or boost controler faulty maby? i'm flying back home next thursday to get her pink sliped and might drive her up on the next monday. might leave her down ther till april when i go home again. but i'd like to look at the problem while i'm down there next week.

my firend who tuned the baleno said he will wire in the autronic and tune it for $900 cash. . so i want to do that soon :D but want to fix the issue first.
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
516MA

Re: JET.51G's problem

Post by 516MA »

do u mean next monday u might be driving up or the 15th??

if so just tell me so i have ur money ready for the turbos?

oh yea and how about those pics?

Nick
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines" - Enzo Ferrari.

1965 - xp falcon project
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

oh crap. i forgot the pics. i'm on the gold coast now. i'm flying down on the 4th of march for a wedding and pink slipping jet. then flying back up on the 8th march as i wont have money to rego jet. then the 30th of april roughly, i'm flying down for two weeks cos nat has uni holidays and i will be driving jet back up at the end of that. hopefully. if i dont have money for rego, nat and i will drive her baleno down and back up for the holidays. .
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
516MA

Post by 516MA »

okay mate no worries

Nick
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines" - Enzo Ferrari.

1965 - xp falcon project
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Geez Dane you dont like doing things the easy way...

So many things could be wrong with it!
Give us more details
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

i dont know what else to say. . it pulls 12 psi regularly now. . dont think it hit 13. but its happy to hit 12. no more. car feels like it pulls well. doesn't really have anymore symptoms. just wont hit 17 or 18 like it used to.

and it happend either very quickly, or overnight. didn't drive it for about 2 weeks. then got in angry cos the baleno blew its engine again. flogged jet to beach and back and tried venting anger by attempting burnouts, but it wouldn't do it.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

So you jumped in it and flogged crap out of it.... Yeah ill bet it just happened suddenly lol

So not blowing smoke?
Not idleing rough?
Bubbles in Coolant?
Water in the oil?
no other symptoms when driving normally?
Does it come onto boost normally (although not reaching the previous max)?

No vac lines come off?
No fuel leaks?
No oil leaks?
No exhaust leaks?

Anyone else feel free to add...
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

Anyone else feel free to add...
yeah. thanks for helping :)

no smoke,
no bad idle,
no blown head gasket. . no water in oil, no coolant bubbles,
no other symptoms.
it does come onto boost well. just stops at 12 instead of going up to 17. and i would still expect it to do a 2nd gear burn out on 12 psi. . maby thats down to the poor, cheap microtech digi. .

its like the wastegate is opening early or something. . could that happen? could it happen at a regular 12 psi every time?

yes there is fuel leaks around the injectors.
yes oil leaks in a few areas, but oil is really high. well above the 'max' on the dipstick. no apparent exhaust leaks.

you know it has a screamer? and thats opening at the 12psi i think. . . . now saying that makes me think. . it mustn't a turbo issue then. the wastegate is opening.

maby my boost controler is stuffing up?? its a 'T' piece. so nothing decent.

if hoses came off, would it be a regular 12psi that i hit, and not be variable. sometimes higher and sometimes lower??

thanks again for all the ideas and help Dan :D
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Well its a place to start looking mate.
Those T peices are basic, so the good part is not much goes wrong with them.
Check the vac hoses.
But usually most turbos will drop back to 6-8 PSI, but if you have a leaking vac hose it may be bleeding off,
which may give you the slight variances???

Anyone else had this happen before??

You say that the oil level is higher than the full mark...
You havent got a heap of blow by and the sump is filling with fuel??
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

if the hose going to the T piece or to turbo the has a leak, wont the boost spik up higher??

blow by is ok. . not much of it.
what do you mean by the sump filling with fuel???

the car is getting very hot too. on the drive ot the beach, noticed it was very hot when i popped the hood to sus out the boost issue. on way home. noticed that the microtech said water temp was 94 degrees. got to 98 and i turned the engine off on down hills and at lights lol. i have a thermo fan and another radiator i will put in when i can. the radiator is out of a automatic, so the bottom half is not being used. i think a lot of the heat issue was that it was a hot day, i was flogging and sitting in traffic was causing it. no air flow. .

but thhat another issue. an easy fix :). . . . . i hope an easy fix any way
stealth

Post by stealth »

sounds like one of two things
internal or exturnal gate is a good question either way have a look at the vavle face
or you have smoked the compression rings and your losing boost into sump ,hence engine getting hot
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

there is still no blow by and the boost in the manifold is only hitting 12PSI. . so pretty sure the rings aren't fried. . i really hope so anyway lol.

i was thinking wastgate or boost controller. . i'm hoping boost controller.

what could it be wrong with the wastgate? exhaust leaking through and not going into turbo i'm guessing? wouldn't that give me irregular boost level??
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Get a compression test done
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

what would low comp do? the car is in sydney at the moment. i'm getting maby 1 day to look at it and hopefully fix the problem. . prob wont be able to get a comp test done in that time. . i dont have a comp tester anyway. . as i said though. there is little to no blow by too, so pretty sure the engine is ok. . . as i said. what would that test tell me?

cheers
stealth

Post by stealth »

why do you keep saying no blow by ?
and how are you checking this at full boost ?
what sort of exhuast manifold is it ,internal or external gate
what brand and size turbo
and have you check tension on all the bolt and fasteners
i know it sounds silly but is there a air leak on the hot side?
cheers stealth (H)
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

na, its not a silly question :)

i just assumed if there was blow by in the top end, there'd be some down low. .

how would getting a comp test tell me? cos its done at like 250RPM isn't it? if i had low comp there, it'd be blowing by the rings and out the breathers wouldn't it or not?? if not, why. what'd be the difference if the rings are gone?

i dont mean to sound rude or smart ares'y with all the questions, i really like figuring out 'why' and 'what' is wrong. and why i'm doing things. its what interests me. . i really appreciate the help, so dont take it the wrong way :) i'm asking in serious questions as i dont know about comp tests and the like, but i'd like to understand and learn. :)

its a standard sigma turbo manifold with an air-reasearch T04. i believe a standard sigma external wategate??? the guy said it was a garrett turbo and wategate and that the engine had forged internals and the engine was 2000kms old. pft. he was full of crap, but i knew he was before i bought it. i figured it was still worth it.i will check the bolts when i get home next thursday. what would i check? exhaust mani, turbo, dump pipe, intercooler piping. anything else?

if there wass a leak on the hot side, its not at idle as it idles quiet. under boost theres the screamer, so i cant tell if there is a leak . .
stealth

Post by stealth »

the comp test is only a comprasion thing to see if you got even compression,hence rings ok
but thay can be all low
blow by is a funny thing you might only be a small amount idleing but huge when boost is on
again i would be check all the hot side bolts and gaskets then the factory wastge diaphame ,its the most
likely cause here thats my guess
but its possible you have smoked the comp rings also ,but check all gaskets for small leaks
cheers stealth (H)
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

could the comp rings get smoked very quickly? like 30 to 50 kms worth off driving. (hard driving) i'm thinking yes they can. .

i'm thinking the wastgate too. but hoping the boost controler. .

what will happen if i keep driving the car if it is the wastgate? i assume it will get worse, but would it cause damage to anything? i heard that if i left the wastgate open perminantly on my baleno, to turn off the boost, could possibly crack the exhaust housing of the turbo (internal wastgate) as it wasn't ment to hold constant high temps??
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

what tests would i do for the wastgate?

and what are those uber cheap $99 wastgates on ebay like? pieces of poo? would it work temporarly til i can afford a good one?

see stealth. i had to go find out 'how much' cos i'm still cheap lol. i'm starting to get work now. just have to pay the bank the $1200 i owe them then i can start spending :D
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Also check the gasket between the Turbo and the manifold...
Might not be able to feel a leak at idle, but it will release all of its flow out of the gasket instead of into the Tubro turbine when under strain and heat.
Thats what mine was doing when i first got it
Something easy to check...
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

sweet. i have a list of things to cheack now :D

Thanks Stealth and Dan
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

On my sirius Motor my internal wastegate used to creep open so that I could only ever run 18psi max. That was fine by me :). The way I found this out was I disconnected my adjustable boost lines and nailed it. It's a risky way to do it but if you pulled off one of the hoses on your T piece and gradually accelarated, you will see if the car makes more then 12psi. Just be ready to back of if your boost guage goes through the roof!
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

yeah, i've done that before lol. my little baleno i ment to wind the boost down, but turned the know the wrong way. booted it and the boost hit like 25psi lol. not good hahaha
i know what you mean by reoving the hose though. . its a test i can do. so i ight try it.

i'm thinking since i'm scrapping the baleno now. the motor is going to spin a big end, but hasn't yet. i might wind the boost up to 25 or so psi and see how it goes. whats the worst that could happen? i blow the $150 turbo? the max worst i could do is kill my gearbox that i can sell for $500. . but it was just rebuilt and should hold as long as i dont abuse it. . but then again 25psi is abuse :lol:

would be fun though

just like i did in my starion. 22 or 23 psi hitting the fuel limit. put up with it for a while until it ran out of rego :) no intercooler nothing. who says 4g63s aren't tough little buggers :)
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Killed the Suzuki :$ Killed the Sigma :$

Seems to be a bit of a patten developing here :\
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

my scorp went through 3 engines. ( i rebuilt them myself and missed things, had had to re do it each time. 1st time low on oil blew bigends, drove 40 kms with blown big ends distroying a piston. it was in pieces in my sump apon rebuilding. 2nd time, oil pump bolts snapped off from over tightening and oil pump fell into sump. blew engine up. 3rd time, balance shaft bearing wasn't replaced from first 2 builds finally blew.

the baleno has had 2 engines due to low oil

super scorp my $100 scorp with home painted GT stripes and orange wheels and 'super scorp GT no.51 painted all over it lasted 1 day and had siezed bearings due to low oil

kermit had 1 replacement engine due to really REALLY excessive pinging as i took the twin webbers off and didn't change the timing and just turned the radio right so i didn't hear the pinging. :lol:

Silvia the first had some ECU issue no one could fix. took her to 3 mechanics including ron from colt speed backing the day. blew her engine due to detonation. cracked 2 pistons and blew ring landings put of 3 pistons. then i put a replace ment engine in and intended on doing damage for fun. did a burn out and forgot it had no coolant in radiator. had to push silvia home with new member on here called kermit (Matt) blew head gasket in 4 spots. it was half ash it burn so much. less fun than i had planned. turbo had hugh oil leak so big that oil was coming onto the windshield from under the hood haha

Nissan 300zx disintegrated 1st gear due to excessive burn outs lol had to take of in 2nd gear for a while. not fun on hills lol. very smelly from frying clutch

trying to think of other cars i've blown up. but i think thats it. but i'm thinking i have forgotten some lol

so yeah. kinda a big pattern hahahaha.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Save your money and buy a push bike
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

ok. so took the boost controler off and boost hit 24psi. and car did a bang and black smoke out back. Microtech digi's only have tuning up to 20psi lol. changed boost controlers and wound boost up to 18 and she isn't happy now. feels like she missfires under normal driving and doesn't want to boost again. cos of miss firing cant rev engine. maby i cooked the coil with all the boosting while winding it up?? temp is 84 degrees. thought it might be that.

i'm going to blow another engine aren't i? haha
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

yeah. so she misses and wont rev at all now. forget about boost. so i cant drive it. misses under light throtte . . so i'm hoping the balenos bearing will hold on so i have a car for the weekend. .