SAFETY at HOME and in the WORK PLACE - WARNING, fatal images

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
DanTurboLancer

SAFETY at HOME and in the WORK PLACE - WARNING, fatal images

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Ok some of you might be going Ho Hum,
But playing around with cars can be fairly dangerous.

Working in the industry i am in, i get Safety Hammered into me constantly.
And they post up Safety Bulletins with examples of people getting seriously injured, or even in the worst cases killed in the work place all the time.

I think alot of people that are not exposed to this information would be quite shocked at the numbers!

And it reminded me of it when some young guys started with us last week,
and even an older guy that just hadnt been exposed to it.

So i thought i would post up some of the issues that i think people may need to be aware of when working on their Cars and other projects.

Please anyone else with helpful pointers and info add to this.

Many many more incident like this occur through-out the years that no one ever hears about.
Many of which cause permanent irreversable damage to people bodies, and their lives.
And even worse Fatalities,
that also effect their Family and friends forever.

Please think about the consequences before you do something....
Last edited by DanTurboLancer on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DanTurboLancer

Re: SAFETY AT HOME AND IN THE WORK PLACE

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Ok to start off with is a Safety Notice which is pretty self explainitary.
But i felt would be a fairly common occurance for the guy at home...

Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

ouch
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

DanTurboLancer wrote:Working in the industry i am in, i get Safety Hammered into me constantly.

well Im guessing you dont work at Forgacs then :D
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Torana68 wrote: well Im guessing you dont work at Forgacs then :D

HAHA no, good safe place hey?

Here is another one i found today.
He must think its his lotto luck all run out.

A basic further explaination.

The Grates are where he drops the coal down into a huge crusher,
This crusher breakes up the huge lumps of coal and rock,
and then it down sizes it to smaller rocks which go down a conveyor further to the next set of crushers to make it smaller again etc.

This Operator got out of his loader to try to clear a blockage,
Stepped on what he thought was solid ground,
Fell down into the crusher, but amazingly was saved by a Small ledge.

LOOK WHERE YOU WALK
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

This was a result from poor communication

DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

I appologise if this offends anyone, and it can be removed immediately.
DanTurboLancer

Re: SAFETY at HOME and in the WORK PLACE

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Here is a short list of Incidents that were reported by One company last year...

DanTurboLancer

Re: SAFETY at HOME and in the WORK PLACE - WARNING, fatal images

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Hey all, thought i would re visit this topic as just this week i myself was reminded to be vigilant,
and was VERY lucky that i was wearing the correct Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

I was using a 5 inch grinder at home,
and at the time was using a Grinding disk.

I finished using the grinding disk and began to remove the grinding disk,
and my intent was to replace it with a different disk.

I grabbed the disk in my right hand,
and used my left hand and thumb to hold the grinder lock in to allow me to undo the thread on the Grinder.

As i held the Grinder to my body, i accidently pushed the power button on,
Starting the grinder as i held the disk in my hand.

Fortunately as i had Gloves on, and it was a thicker style of disk (Grinding disk)
i simply spun my hand away from the disk instead of causing any injury.

My stupid fault -
I use grinders every day, so i had a moment of lapse in concentration.
the term for this is COMPLACENTCY, where you get too relaxed and comfortable in a situation, and dont consider the dangers correctly.

Things i WILL do from now on to prevent this happening again!
ISOLATION - Unplug the Grinder Electrical lead when i change out a Disk, or am inspecting.

Use the correct tool - Using your hand to release the Disk is not a good idea anyway,
but they do supply you with a Tool for releasing the Nut, so use it!!!

I was bloody lucky that i was wearing gloves, and even more lucky that i was using a Grinding disk at the time and not a Slim Jim, or Cutting disk.
If it was a cutting disk and i had started the grinder in my hand, even with the gloves on,
I would probably be in a hell of alot worse situation right now!

Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

DanTurboLancer wrote:the term for this is COMPLACENTCY, where you get too relaxed and comfortable in a situation, and dont consider the dangers correctly.
Know the feeling well Dan.

A few weeks ago, I was using some fine tungsten-carbide number drills and I went to close the box of drill bits with the back of my hand, and missed.

Drove a 0.25mm drill bit into the 2nd joint of my middle finger and because I didn't realize what had just happened, when I straightened out my finger, the drill bit shattered into several pieces .

The long and the short of it was 2 days in hospital, 2.5hr of micro surgery on my finger and 5 stitches later, all is well.

It only takes a minor lapse to cause a major problem.

Cheers.
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Too many close calls with power tools...
About a month ago I put my angle grinder down next to me without looking and managed to put it on a screwdriver that pressed the "ON" button. The thing whipped around and hit my ankle, luckily with the handle, not the disk. Yeah, I know, "Clear a workspace first" :$
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

well a few weeks back I had to have a piece of metal and rust removed from my eye - I dont beleve it was from a grinder
I do wear specs 'think the wind may have blown some metal dust in my eye and then I may have rubbed it in
any way for those not lucky enough to try this - first the doctor put some eye dropes in to deaden your eye ( which stings a lot )then you get to watch him scraping away some skin from the surface of your eye and hopefully the crap in your eye
2 day later the same process then after he cant get it all . he sends you to the eye surgen and after he stings your eye with eye deadening drops then come at you with a realy small die grinder and grindes a hole in you eye to get the last of it out
and you get to watch that to
I had one eye a with a blured spot for a week or so

if this doesn't sound like fun you right it wasn't - moral of the story dont get metal in your eye
and it can happen even if you are doing the right thing
cheater
A112H

Post by A112H »

I think you and I work in the same industry, kinda, Dan and we get the same sorts of stories and tales of woe emailed around pretty often.
I am an OHS rep at work and I still managed to fall head first 2.5 metres through a ceiling (that I shouldn't have been in) and smash my shoulder to bits, cause severe bleeding on my frontal and temporal lobes of my brain, managing to knock my self out cold and loose 3 days of memory. This is the reason I was home for about 6 months last year after spending a week in the ICU then a week in the brain trauma unit.
I am getting back to normal slowly but don't deal well with heights these days
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

cheaterparts wrote:well a few weeks back I had to have a piece of metal and rust removed from my eye - I dont beleve it was from a grinder
I do wear specs 'think the wind may have blown some metal dust in my eye and then I may have rubbed it in
any way for those not lucky enough to try this - first the doctor put some eye dropes in to deaden your eye ( which stings a lot )then you get to watch him scraping away some skin from the surface of your eye and hopefully the crap in your eye
2 day later the same process then after he cant get it all . he sends you to the eye surgen and after he stings your eye with eye deadening drops then come at you with a realy small die grinder and grindes a hole in you eye to get the last of it out
and you get to watch that to
I had one eye a with a blured spot for a week or so

if this doesn't sound like fun you right it wasn't - moral of the story dont get metal in your eye
and it can happen even if you are doing the right thing
Oh you been through this too... Only difference is I ended up in the eye and ear hospital after going to work for half a day and then not being able to see at all. Cause, when I took my goggles off a metal piece fell from my hair into my eye. Now I brush my hair down before I remove the googles. The biggest issue was while they were looking in my eye they found another two piece of metal which looked like they had been there for years and two piece of glass (who knows were that came from, possibily my rally days after a couple of roll overs... :S)

Cheers

PS: Dan I am suprised that you wear gloves. I have seen way too many accidents where gloves were the cause, only time I wear gloves is welding and picking up hot things, rest of time I dont. Oh and when you look at anything electrical remove it from the power source (dont just turn it off at the switch but unplug it too.. :thumpsup: Electricity bites and so too can the implements that use it... ;)
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

man I must be captain danger

I have never worn gloves while grinding nor do I ever have the guard on the grinder and I only ever do the disc's up finger tight (so i dont need the tool)

I have got my fingers/hands lots of times with the cutting discs and they just dont cut they burn but dont cut, leaves the same marks as on Dans gloves and yeah it stings

I guess you need to hit your hand fairly hard before it cuts you

Wire brush attachments bite well though and remove skin like nothing I have ever come across before
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

When im grinding yes i wear gloves,

But i NEVER wear gloves when using a Pedistal Grinder, when i am holding pieces close to the wheel where it might grab and pull the gloves, and then my fingers/Hand in...

Those wire wheels like to spit the wires half an inch into your legs too,
even through your press drill clothes.
Good idea to wear ATLEASt safety glasses with those things, if not a face sheild.

Oh for everyones information,
it is Catogorically Illegal, to remove, or modify Gaurding placed on any Machine or Tool (not to mention dangerous)

Here is an instance where modifying a tool to outside of its normal operation caused a Fatality

WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES

Subject: Fatal Accident on RapidKL Depot Expansion Project adjacent to SCOMI
Bombardier compound (lesson learnt)

When : 17th May 2010
Time : 11:00am
Venue : RapidKL Subang Depot compound adjacent to Scomi site office(KLJ Project)
HSE Comment : Workers without / less supervision
Incorrect tool
None of us will cut the manhole.
Not clear instruction

Visited the incident site today and managed to gather some information from RKL personnel on the incident, listed
below is what caused the above fatal accident:-
The worker was trying to open a man hole steel cover that is located at the accident site,
As they did not have the right tool to open the steel cover,
they tried opening it with other tools but failed to open it and also damaged the slot used to insert the actual tool to open it, the worker finally decided to cut the manhole steel cover using a hand grinder.

They initially tried cutting it with the normal 6 inch disc but it did not work, so finally the worker decided to try and use
a 12 inch disc (still under investigation who actually gave this instruction?) although the report states the supervisor
was present at site.
As the 12 inch disc could not fit into the hand grinder as the protective guard only allows the right
size disc to be fitted on it, he decided to remove the guard to allow a 12 inch disc to be fitted onto the hand grinder.
Once the 12 inch disc was fitted onto the grinder (not sure how it was done, still being investigated) the worker
started cutting the manhole steel cover which approximately has a thickness of 0.5 to 1cm. He managed to cut
through to a length 3/4 of the cover's diameter, all of a sudden most probably, due to long duration and extreme
force applied or the quality and durability of the disc that was being used cracked and struck his face and threw him
to the ground.

A portion of the broken disc was lodged on his right temple till his right chin killing him 15 minutes after its occurrence.
This above fatal accident could been avoided if the work had been closely supervised, the right tool used, proper PPE,
had the hazard been identified, assessed and the control measures disseminated to all the employees before work is
commenced at site.
I will come up with a some guidelines on usage power tools, will distribute it to all concerned accordingly ASAP. In the
meantime please discuss or retrain your staff during the morning brief or tool box talk, especially those work that
requires usage of power tools to prevent any untoward incident.
Thank you
Regards

amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

thats awesome Dan
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

While the wrong disc was use it is also wise to hit your disc before connecting it to your grinder, if it rings then all good if it goes thud toss it, it will have a fracture in it and thus explode like what we see here.

Cheers

PS: thanks for the pics Dan, my stomach is not the best but just after dinner it sort of makes you think about tasting it again.. :S
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

hectic dan!!

Been doing my forklift ticket and doing a transport and logistics course, risks and hazards at a work place are always a good thing to know.

I have also had one of those barbs come off my grinder and stab me just above the eyelid, also had lots in my legs and hands. After the eye incident i always use safety glasses, even though i wear spectacles! You can never be sure and must always anticipate the worst out comes, that's how i think anyways baha.

Here is a pictures that could have been fatal using a forklift;
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

GC75 wrote:After the eye incident i always use safety glasses, even though i wear spectacles!
You will find there are a few of us who wear specs, but they are a sight aid NOT a protection aid. Always grab proper eye protection. I prefer full face mask. I have a 3yo and a 5yo who help and I have already started to teach them about safety. The 5 yo helps me weld.. :) got to teach them young. They come with me racing and Know that at the track they have to wear their hivis vests, nothing wrong with getting kids to think about safety, just got to sell it to them...

Cheers
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Ken ell

The activities in that fork drivers jocks would have near been fatal
A112H

Post by A112H »

oldn64 wrote:
GC75 wrote:After the eye incident i always use safety glasses, even though i wear spectacles!
You will find there are a few of us who wear specs, but they are a sight aid NOT a protection aid.

Cheers
I think these might pass as both :lol: :lol: :lol:

GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

lol fortunately for me i dont have glasses like that, im somewhat more fortunate with oakley prescription glasses valued at over 1000 lol.
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

If you have oakley prescription you almost dont need glasses, oakley will not do many prescriptions yet seem to do very weak prescriptions, alase I am blind so that was out for me, Then again my glasses are $1600 and then there is my sunnies which are another $1800, so if oakley would do my prescription (which they rejected) I would save money. Just shows you that if you are using you specs as work/protection glasses you are obviously rolling in money... I would rather replace my work glasses than my real glasses.

Cheers

PS: GC75 can I have a cutting off your money tree??
LEE

Post by LEE »

accidents can happen at any time , once I was cracking a bearing collar on an axle of an L300 , safety goggles on , tight in the vice , no body standing behind me etc etc , cold chisel blade shattered and a piece about 6mm slither punctured an artery on my left wrist , it took about 1 min to have at least what looked like litre of blood spraying forth from my arm everywhere till the artery contracted on the metal , I was sent to hospital for surgery- basically you can prepare your self , but it doesnt hurt to check again - the chisel was new also !!
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

oldn64 wrote:If you have oakley prescription you almost dont need glasses, oakley will not do many prescriptions yet seem to do very weak prescriptions, alase I am blind so that was out for me, Then again my glasses are $1600 and then there is my sunnies which are another $1800, so if oakley would do my prescription (which they rejected) I would save money. Just shows you that if you are using you specs as work/protection glasses you are obviously rolling in money... I would rather replace my work glasses than my real glasses.

Cheers

theres a mob down here that fits any prescription lenses to Oakley, Ray bans and other popular frames
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

amgis_obrut wrote:
oldn64 wrote:If you have oakley prescription you almost dont need glasses, oakley will not do many prescriptions yet seem to do very weak prescriptions, alase I am blind so that was out for me, Then again my glasses are $1600 and then there is my sunnies which are another $1800, so if oakley would do my prescription (which they rejected) I would save money. Just shows you that if you are using you specs as work/protection glasses you are obviously rolling in money... I would rather replace my work glasses than my real glasses.

Cheers

theres a mob down here that fits any prescription lenses to Oakley, Ray bans and other popular frames
Hmmm that seems different from what I have experienced. Oakley will fit the prescriptions themselves but will not do anything over +3 (bit difficult when I am +18.7) so I am literally blind.. :S I would love a set of grix billet frames but being billet my lenses will not pop in. Bloody nice frames though, and so comfortable, pity I cannot see without my lenses.. :( .

For those that have not seen them before look here..... http://www.grixeyewear.com/home/

Cheers
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

i was talking more of this kind of thing

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... s%3Disch:1
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

mine are in the link above ^^ middle at the bottom.

There yellow and black, and i got 1 bad eye haha, lazy eye... and im long sighted... can still do things normally without my glasses though.

and oldn i aint rich trust me baha
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

LEE I work with a guy who was extremely lucky,
He and another guy were at a pit changing out the conveyor Head roller bearings, the bearing was being stubborn and wouldnt budge, so they were cutting it off with a chisel and hammer.
He was sweating, so his Safety glasses were fogging up.
he took them off so he could see clearly.

They were getting frustrated, and the guy he was working with grabbed the hammer and chisel, and absolutely smashed into it,
anyway some very large chunks of hardened stell came off, and imbedded into my mates cheek,
about 10mm below his eye.

Had to go into surgery twice to get the pieces out.
For a couple of weeks we would hold a magnet near his cheek and his skin would dance...

Funny,
Lucky,
But he sure learnt his lesson.

Lee im sure you felt lucky.
As most of these stories tell,
it takes a split second to have a mistake,
that could turn very serious.

Glad to hear from everyone.

Olden68, 18.7+... wholey smokes,
Im 7.6- in one eye, i thought i was bad...