whats the go with special vehicle regos?

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
shuggy

whats the go with special vehicle regos?

Post by shuggy »

hey guys just want to know if i build my car and it doesnt pass emissions or it doesnt have certain features or has things that cant be on a road car (eg NOS), how do you go about a licence for driving it to shows, races etc? is there a licence for cars like that that means i can stil have plates?? i just wana know that if i finish this car and the guys sez you cant rego this car coz of this this this n this, that i will stil be able to drive it on car show days?
cheers
leoca

Re: whats the go with special vehicle regos?

Post by leoca »

I am unsure about WA laws but in QLD I asked around and started a post earlier this year.
They said that you have to obtain what we call a "roadworthy certificate" first and then join the club, then get a club person to certify that its over 30 yrs old and go for "SIV" registration...so at a minimum you'd be getting your car in a roadworthy state.
With SIV registration this would enable you to be able to drive it under restricted conditions and to their shows or functions more or less...theres more info here.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2508J
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

In SA we have 'Rally Rego'

Havn't got it personally but from what i understand you are allowed to drive it to and from events, workshops and during events. With this you get away with harnesse's, full roll cage's.....
Dunno about cost or club membership etc, but the car gets inspected at Regency (vehicle inspection place) before it is approved.
Call your rego department and find out what they have to offer.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

GB_BB4C wrote:Call your rego department and find out what they have to offer.
wow theres an idea :D , I believe NSW has canned theirs you need an engineers for all mods to get rally rego, this is not a good way around the rules for a modified street car you either have a raly car or you dont, vintage have to be dead bone stock , hot rod are either full rego and complying or street rod reg and strictly for club runs etc, the only thing that will get you to a track is a trailer or full rego. Go the full rego
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Torana68 wrote:
GB_BB4C wrote:Call your rego department and find out what they have to offer.
wow theres an idea :D , I believe NSW has canned theirs you need an engineers for all mods to get rally rego, this is not a good way around the rules for a modified street car you either have a raly car or you dont, vintage have to be dead bone stock , hot rod are either full rego and complying or street rod reg and strictly for club runs etc, the only thing that will get you to a track is a trailer or full rego. Go the full rego
exactly what Torana said. go full rego!

your first port of call should be an engineer and the motor registry.
tell the engineer what you want to do and get him involved early in the build.
he will point out the do's and do not's.
plus that way you will have him on your side when it comes to going over the pits/getting engineered
and he will know what you have done through the build.
if he's a good engineer he will know what can and cant be done in WA
regarding engine size, emission controls, your removing the backseat idea etc

talk to guys who have modifide cars in your area and they should know who to go to and who not to

cheers,
Dean.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Ive always thought of most "Show cars", as being built for the purpose of showing of the builders skill in what they have done to make changes to make the car more user friendly, better design, or better looking in general.

But Most show cars, are built for the purpose that once they have been on the scene for alittle while, they will one day be regoed and driven and enjoyed.

Personally i have never seen any point in building a car that can Never be driven.
but then ive never understood hacking up a perfectly good RX3 Savannah to go in a staright line (Drag racing)
Or driving a road car with rock hard and slammed Coil overs, and callin it a Drift car, because you can slide it around the local corner

If you build it properly, it can be both practical, functional and look great.
luke77

Post by luke77 »

In VIC we have CH Club Permits that allow driving to and from events and for work to be carried out etc on the car. It allows Rally Cars etc to be driven and they have many mods that make them "unroadworthy". The car must be over 25 yrs old and you need to be a member of a car club and have someone who is authorised by CAMS to check it off and then take the form to VICROADS. They are in discussion currently to have the permit changed to allow the cars to be driven for 90 days (logbooked).
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand, smoke in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming -WOO HOO! What a Ride!"