Special Interest Vehicle registration.(QLD)

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
leoca

Special Interest Vehicle registration.(QLD)

Post by leoca »

There was a interesting article in the Courier Mail (Brisbane ) on Wednesday last week.
The subject material was dealing "special interest " vehicles and it was clear that ANY 30 year old car would be elligible, providing they were part of a relevant and incorporated car club, historical society or the Australian Street Rod Federation..

The flat rate registration fee is $74,+ a standard 'traffic improvement fee" of $45.80 and compulsory third party reduced to $74.85.That comes to around $200.

Restrictions were stated .
Not too bad considering any 4 CYL now costs you over $600 now here in QLD doesn't it?

Cheers ;)
panda

Re: Special Interest Vehicle registration.(QLD)

Post by panda »

Wow, what a great idea. Have you any links to any websites that can provide more info so that we can possibly lobby the politicians here in SA for something similar.

panda
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
leoca

Post by leoca »

Its all there at the queensland transport website ...just do a search for "special interest". :)
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

its great if you dont like to drive your car much
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
sigtool

Post by sigtool »

Or you cant drive much :D (ie being improved ;) )
"Boosted is The Only Way To Live"
<Sigma Turbo No.177 >
<96 Astron Powered Triton>
<81 GJ Scorpion>
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

leoca wrote:There was a interesting article in the Courier Mail (Brisbane ) on Wednesday last week.
The subject material was dealing "special interest " vehicles and it was clear that ANY 30 year old car would be elligible, providing they were part of a relevant and incorporated car club, historical society or the Australian Street Rod Federation..

The flat rate registration fee is $74,+ a standard 'traffic improvement fee" of $45.80 and compulsory third party reduced to $74.85.That comes to around $200.

Restrictions were stated .
Not too bad considering any 4 CYL now costs you over $600 now here in QLD doesn't it?

Cheers ;)
Isn't that like club rego in NSW?
In NSW that means you can only drive it within a 5km radius of your house through the week or to club meetings (of which you have to belong) or on club runs on weekends.
I been told modified cars such as galants with turbos and stuff are frowned upon by vintage club members and therefore may not be able to join the club in the first place. But I suppose that would depend on the club?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
leoca

Post by leoca »

According to the details online,looks as though you are able to drive it to and from the mechanical workshop repairs so on and so on,and also "road testing" within a 15km radius of the garage...whatever this would mean,not too bad so long as its the owner doing the driving - right!.
With regards performance modified Chryslers "being frowned on"? - is there anyone thats in such a club ,and has done this club rego here?.Cheers :)

Another thing :?: would Chrysler Sigma,Scorpion, Galants,and Lancers fall into the "Classic" category rather than "Vintage" or "Veteran"?.Any club should be inclusive of all of the same make in my opinion anyway :| ..depends what they name the club too yes i agree
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

We didn't rego the Galant wagon as have toooo many registered
cars in the yard already, could be worth considering getting it
registered. Only got four drivers in the house.
1 x FG XR6T, 1 X PATROL 3.0T, 1 X SSANGYONG STAVIC,
1 X AUII FALCON WAGON, 1 X BMW M3 E36
3x la lancer 2door
2x gc galant hardtop
1x gc galant wagon
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

in tassie we have special interest rego. the car has to be 30 years old, thats about it. no clubs or anything, has to be roadworthy of course. im waiting for my sigma turbo no.17 to be 30 years old so that i can put special interest rego on it.

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

leoca wrote:According to the details online,looks as though you are able to drive it to and from the mechanical workshop repairs so on and so on,and also "road testing" within a 15km radius of the garage...whatever this would mean,not too bad so long as its the owner doing the driving - right!.
With regards performance modified Chryslers "being frowned on"? - is there anyone thats in such a club ,and has done this club rego here?.Cheers :)

Another thing :?: would Chrysler Sigma,Scorpion, Galants,and Lancers fall into the "Classic" category rather than "Vintage" or "Veteran"?.Any club should be inclusive of all of the same make in my opinion anyway :| ..depends what they name the club too yes i agree
Yeah not 100% sure on the details, I thought about joining the local vintage car club with my GC wagon. Was told by a guy at work who belonged to the local holden club that a vintage car club would not accept mods like my Recaro's and that sort of thing. Other clubs may be different, but I thought the whole idea of vintage rego was tied in with vintage car clubs.
Don't know about the classic or vintage thing, but my car has vintage insurance with GIO. To comply with GIO vintage insurance, a car must be 31 years or older.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

Does anyone know of any car clubs or belong to one in SE Qld so i can look into this?
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Just get onto the RTA.
panda

Post by panda »

77GDWAGON wrote:Does anyone know of any car clubs or belong to one in SE Qld so i can look into this?
Try searching here http://www.cams.com.au/en/Sport/Club%20 ... inder.aspx
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
leoca

Post by leoca »

77GDWAGON wrote:Does anyone know of any car clubs or belong to one in SE Qld so i can look into this?
Chrysler Owners Club of Qld Inc.
Based at Ipswich. Club meetings at Carindale.Next meeting is 21st Oct

there is the annual Crysler Expo at Mt Gravatt Showgrounds on Sunday i have just been informed.They sound like a good organisation....thinking about joining :)

Heres a more complete list:
http://www.onlineuniquecarsales.com.au/car_clubs.asp

And another (more QLD /Brisbane specific)
http://www.autoresource.com.au/index.ph ... icleid=853
dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

Just wondering if anyone in seq has found a club that will do the Special Interest Vehicle rego?
woops

Post by woops »

There is also the Japanese Classic Car Club. They are the same club that do the Classic Japanese Show and Shine once a year. There is myself and another Galant in that club and they have no real issues with mods. There is heaps of varity of cars in the club and the most common car in the club is actually the isuzu bellett but most of them are owned by the one family. There are so many cars in the club that i had actually never even head about before seeing them.
A few of the cars that come to mind of members cars are a Honda 1300 (early 1970's ish), Prince Skyline, Daihatsu Compagno (2 door convertable 1960's ish and a few other more common datsun 1600's, corolla's, celica etc.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
Turbo047

Post by Turbo047 »

Yeah it's all well and good to get cheaper rego BUT there are to many restrictions for my liking. Such as only 15km of your house and only with sanctioned club events where you have to apply for prior permission to participate is too restrictive for me. $600 bucks for a full year rego and Shannon's only charge me $250 for comprehensive insurance per year for a "use very rarely" car. I"m happy to pay and drive when ever where ever I want.

I've been told that this may change and we'll pay 1/4 rego but have to log trips, and as long as you only do 90 days per year 30+ cars qualify,
"Just remember, if you aren't forced induced, then you aren't SH#T"
GH Sigma Turbo no. 047

Leyland P76 V8 (next for resto)
Jaguar XJ8 Sport (british racing green of course)
Land Rover Discovery II V8 (the daily drive)
dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

As this is my third vehicle, not daily, plus i will be away for most of the year and my main use for the galant will be rallies\Khanas\track days, as well as going on cruises to car shows, the $500 saving at the moment is worth it and means i can put more money into her rather than spending it on rego that would likely not have been necessary. As well as this, 15 km radius is pretty far in brissy. Its not out of the question that you could do repairs on a 30+ year old car daily :thumpsup: just know your distance limits and you are set.
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

Classic and Muscle Car Club of Ipswich Inc. is just one if just do a search, sure you we find something to your liking.
dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

Thanks mate,

I actually got a reply yesterday from one of the car clubs i inquired at. Northern Districts Sporting Car Club http://www.ndscc.asn.au

They seem like a good club and happy to do a dating cert for rego.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

4cyl rego is $320 odd in qld
N/A ALL THE WAY
dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

Using the eQuote on the TMR website i got $697.30 for 12 month regular registration or $221.80 for SIV (with category 5 CTP). That includes $15 duty because of New rego on a $500 purchase price.
A112H

Post by A112H »

panda wrote:Wow, what a great idea. Have you any links to any websites that can provide more info so that we can possibly lobby the politicians here in SA for something similar.

panda
We have been fighting this for a while Panda. For some reason the SA gov just will not play the game. Check this link for info of what we have been up to and join SMASA or an affiliated club to show support.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/smcrego/